39 replies to this topic

#1 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

POPULAR

That Rivera is not only building this team with talent, but also, and more importantly, he is building a culture.

It is a culture that values hard-work, opportunity, and putting the team first.

Look at two players that signify this.

First, Jeff Otah, an extremely talented player, who has the potential to be a top 5 RT in this league. However, over time, it has become apparent that Otah did not have the work ethic or desire to come back from injuries, or to play through negligible amounts of pain.

Next, look at Thomas Davis, who is also an extremely talented player, who had/has top 5 LB talent. However, as apparent as Otah's lack of desire was, Davis' was desire and hard-work was obvious to anyone.

These moves illustrate that if even if you are 'injury prone', if you bust your ass, be a team player, and not make excuses then you will have the opportunity to prove yourself.

Word of advice to new players, if you haven't already noticed, bust your ass and work to get better, than you can unseat a first round draft pick even if you are an undrafted rookie. (Byron Bell).

This is how winning cultures are built.

This post has been promoted to an article

#2 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

Yeah, maybe Otah is going to be just one of those guys that show most coaches enough not to get rid of him. Most coaches except Rivera!!! I'm liking Rivera

#3 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,961 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

I love Byron Bell. He deserve the job after what he did last year. FU to the bell haters out there

#4 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

I love Byron Bell. He deserve the job after what he did last year. FU to the bell haters out there

We can give all other rookies the benefit of the doubt regarding their performance because of the lockout, except for Byron Bell for some reason. He was undrafted, and throw into the rotation. Was he awesome? Definitely not. He will compete for the job, and hopefully improve.

#5 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

Offseason Thread Of The Year!!!

#6 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

Offseason Thread Of The Year!!!

Thanks. Sadly, it is not a stupid or asinine thought, so not many will read.

#7 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,756 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

This team is going places with Rivera and Co. RR needs to start shopping for a Chud 2.0 because the man is going to want his own diggs (and payday) someday soon.

#8 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

• HUDDLER
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

It's not the John Fox Panthers anymore.

My only thought was perhaps a T would have been better in the draft than a G...but, they must quote 'like who we have right here'...until the next draft.

#9 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

To be fair, in the past, I advocated keeping Otah for his contract year just for the practical purposes of getting his best 'effort' for this season. But, if his mere presence, and I use the word mere ironically, was toxic enough for RIvera to believe it to be counter-productive then I fully support the move.

#10 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,662 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

It's not the John Fox Panthers anymore.

My only thought was perhaps a T would have been better in the draft than a G...but, they must quote 'like who we have right here'...until the next draft.

Well technically we did draft a Tackle. They are just making him a guard.

#11 Pejorative Miscreant

Pejorative Miscreant

Cold Ass Honky

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

Yeah, maybe Otah is going to be just one of those guys that show most coaches enough not to get rid of him. Most coaches except Rivera!!! I'm liking Rivera

I get the sense that Rivera was annoyed with the situation. Wish Otah the best but I think Rivera considered him lazy and a waste of space.

#12 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

Promoted to article, eh?

Posted Image

#13 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

Good post.

#14 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,380 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Just bc he was a nice story doesnt mean he is any good....he could get someone hurt.

#15 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,816 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

Just bc he was a nice story doesnt mean he is any good....he could get someone hurt.

Bell can't get anyone more hurt than Otah on the pine the whole season. We see who Rivera trusts more that's for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com