Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jherald

Our Defensive Schemes

30 posts in this topic

I would love to hear everyone's opinion and list out pros and cons of a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense. Or should we go with a hybrid defense of sorts?

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Go Panthers!!!!

Fug you Drew Brees!

pros of the 4-3 is that we have the talent in place for that scheme ....less so at OLB for the 3-4. I also think we will see schemes with multiple dbs.

My thoughts (in 2 parts)

1) Rivera's forte as well as McD's is 4-3, Rivera only used a 3-4 when he got bumped up to DC in San Diego and made adjustments. I think the most we would see out of this is like they said: a 4-3 with some 3-4 thrown in there to throw off the offense. Hybrid could work if we can get the Krakken to wake up to his full potential.

2) I read an article last year that base defenses arent the norm anymore because of how much of a passing league we are now. If you look at formations and how things are going, the base defense averages out to being the Nickel. Which makes a lot of sense to me.

Granted we will definitely need to keep a base defense with a front 7 of LB's and DL but the fact is that in order for the defense to counter the offenses predications, they will use Nickel for most plays in an average game.

We will be a 4-3 base with occasional 3-4 looks.

The difference in a 4-3 and a 3-4 is just one player. We have two Jack LBs on this team so we will be giving different looks all year. One thing we will see though is loads of blitzes to cause pressure.

The difference in a 4-3 and a 3-4 is just one player. We have two Jack LBs on this team so we will be giving different looks all year. One thing we will see though is loads of blitzes to cause pressure.

A lot more differences than 1 player when looking at a real 3-4 vs 4-3.

NT, DE, OLB....all those are issues if the 3-4 is our base. Especially the front 3

A lot more differences than 1 player when looking at a real 3-4 vs 4-3.

NT, DE, OLB....all those are issues if the 3-4 is our base. Especially the front 3

You do realize that most every 4-3 team this day and age has those components. The only difference is if you have a Jack LB or not. So in other words your wrong...

Carolina Panthers defense in 3-4

Edwards/Fua-NT

Johnson/Nibblet-DE

Hardy/McClain- DE

Applewhite/Alexander-Jack LB

The big difference for us is that our 3-4 linebackers are undrafted scrubs.

You do realize that most every 4-3 team this day and age has those components. The only difference is if you have a Jack LB or not. So in other words your wrong...

Carolina Panthers defense in 3-4

Edwards/Fua-NT

Johnson/Nibblet-DE

Hardy/McClain- DE

Applewhite/Alexander-Jack LB

I clearly stated I was talking about a legit 3-4 vs 4-3...not as simple as one player. Lining up in a 3-4 look as a wrinkle doesn't mean you have players for 3-4.

We have no NT. Edwards is here bc he didn't work in the 3-4. Johnson and Hardy are 4-3 DEs. Johnson might be able to pull it off but then he is drastically overpaid. Hardy isn't a 3-4 DE.

I clearly stated I was talking about a legit 3-4 vs 4-3...not as simple as one player. Lining up in a 3-4 look as a wrinkle doesn't mean you have players for 3-4.

We have no NT. Edwards is here bc he didn't work in the 3-4. Johnson and Hardy are 4-3 DEs. Johnson might be able to pull it off but then he is drastically overpaid. Hardy isn't a 3-4 DE.

SMH