• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#76 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

So you would say the number one reason that the Palestinian economy is in the state it is in is because they haven't embraced a "modern economy"? That may be one factor, but I would hazard to say there may be a little bit more going on there.

Of course there is, but its still a valid point that none of the economies of Arab nations are doing well, except for those based on oil. Many of the problems that exist in Gaza and the West Bank occur across the arab world, but without the attention that the Palestinian Israeli conflict gets. Look at Yemen, Sudan, Algeria, etc... The vast majority of people in these countries are not much better off than the Palestinians. There are several reasons, but imo a big reason is that these nations were drug from the 15th century to the 20th century without in the space of a few years, and they haven't handled it well. IMO, a far bigger problem for arabs than Israel is that most of the nations are theocracies, with all the limits that go with that style of government and culture.

#77 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

While your general point on the economies of many of those nations holds, I think that many would argue that people in those countries are better off than Palestinians, though perhaps not based solely on economy. I also think that the fact many Arab countries are struggling is not itself a reason to basically credit cultural differences alone for the struggles in Palestine (or neighboring countries to Israel), given the situation there.

If Romney's desire was to express that the Arab world suffers because it refuses to embrace a world economy, he did a poor job at conveying that (and he likely would have insulted even more people if he had correctly conveyed that).

In general, I doubt this will hurt him much at all. Honestly, it doesn't really bother me that much - but I do think that he needs to have a better understanding of the weight his words can carry overseas. I was surprised by all of this, because I expected him to do well on this trip.

#78 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,348 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

The worst part about Romney's audition on the foreign policy stage is that it made it crystal clear that the Neo-Cons are back.
All you need to do is have a look at the Romney foreign policy team:
  • John Bolton -- Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security and Ambassador to the United Nations under George W. Bush. Bolton cherry-picked intelligence reports in the rush to war in Iraq.
  • Elliot Cohen -- Defense Policy Advisory Board and Counselor of the Department of State during the Bush administration. Cohen pushed false claims that there was a connection between Saddam Hussein and 9/11.
  • Robert Joseph -- Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security under George W. Bush. Insisted on including the false claim that Iraq tried to buy uranium from Niger in Bush's 2003 State of the Union Address.
  • Dov Zakheim -- Comptroller for the Secretary of Defense under George W. Bush. He predicted that Iraq War spending would be billions less than it was.
  • Cofer Black -- Department of State Coordinator for Counter Terrorism under George W. Bush. Black played a key roll in the CIA's use of "enhanced interrogation techniques."
  • Dan Senor -- Senior Advisor and Chief Spokesman for the Coalition Provision Authority in Iraq under George W. Bush. The New York Times wrote that, " As Iraq was entering its bloodiest days, Mr. Senor was a prophet and cheerleader for the Bush administration."
All of these people were on the Bush foreign policy team. Now they are all on the Romney foreign policy team.

#79 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,909 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

No offense or anything...but it is frustrating watching you guys have these moronic, pointless, off-base from reality, discussions, revolving around the fake Left vs. Right paradigm. Obama = Romney, Republicans = Democrats. Period. End of story. This is the truth of what we're dealing with...it needs to be understood by everyone. I hate to be negative and come down on anyone's views, but its getting to the point where these naive and unaware political perceptions are no longer acceptable, and are fueling the fire of tyranny. If we want any real change before walking off the end of the cliff as they're leading us; it is imparative that everyone understand that everything discussed in this thread is in correlation with the theatre surrounding politics that the mainstream media portrays. You guys are arguing over candidates who are equalivalents of eachother...as has been designed to be. Please wake up you guys. Its hard reading all the trivial partisan dribble spewed all over this thread. I would like to see everyone awaken to the reality of the political system so that we can end this destructive status-quo based on murder, greed, control, manipulation and power.

Romney's foreign policy would be exactly the same as Obama's, which was exactly the same as Bush's. How many times do we have to go through this before you guys will catch on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com