Photo
- - - - -

shockey won't be back. tolbert is his replacement.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Coach Ron Rivera explained on NFL Network Friday that the Panthers view Mike Tolbert as Jeremy Shockey's replacement on offense.

Rivera said Carolina leaned on two-tight end sets last year because they didn't have a "true fullback." Tolbert can fill the latter role while also lining up at times at tailback and as an H-back. The Panthers believe they have upgraded on outgoing Shockey, who is a free agent and won't be brought back. We wouldn't expect Tolbert to touch the ball more than 60 or so times this year.

#2 Jeremy Igo

Jeremy Igo

Administrator

• MFCEO
  • 443 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

makes sense

#3 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,405 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

Duh, been saying all off season he wasn't coming back.

#4 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

Never say never. Should something happen and Olsen has to go out for a few games we might give Shock a call.

That's assuming he still wants to play.

#5 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,485 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

So they don't think that Tolbert will touch the ball more than 3.75 times a game. I think that's a pretty drastic under estimation. I do agree with him being Shockeys replacement in theory though.

#6 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,200 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

I would still like to see if we could bring back Shockey at some point, even though RR has said he's not coming back.

Add as many weapons as you can. Add Shockey to the mix, and someone has to be open.

#7 Car123

Car123

Newton's Law

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

People asking for a solid #2
Really how many teams think the #2 TE is a priority?

Teams that use a 2 TE system...

The Tolbert signing basically means we're moving away from that

Negative.

Posted Image

#8 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,485 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

Ohh have a cookie. I didn't realize that we weren't allowed to change our minds and/or perspectives around here. Based on last year I assumed that we would still run lots of two TE sets and Tolbert was just an added weapon and blocker to add to that scheme. However, based on what we've seen this training camp, I no longer feel like that's the case. I'm glad you called it though, high-fives for you!

#9 Car123

Car123

Newton's Law

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

Thanks

#10 Rip Saw

Rip Saw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

If the plan all a long was to not reisign Shockey why didnt RR or Hearney come out and say so? Why the mystery?

#11 TopCat

TopCat

Swerve

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

Really no need for Shockey with all the weapons we have now. Barny will do just fine as the #2 guy.

#12 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,665 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Smokescreen

#13 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

i would like for them to bring shockey back, but he isn't necessary.

quite a few have said this is likely what is happening but then there are those that scoffed and said, "right, a 5'9 TE? lol ursodumb" or whatever.

tolbert isn't here to play TE, tho he is lining up as one at times. it's the role shockey played, not the position. extra blocker for cam or the ball carrier and extra target. sure, he loses a little in height, but i think he might also have an advantage in being so short because he's hard to keep an eye on. the extra bonus of him being a solid ball carrier himself makes this an upgrade on the roster spot, imo.

#14 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,112 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

If the plan all a long was to not reisign Shockey why didnt RR or Hearney come out and say so? Why the mystery?

I doubt he's implying that was their intention all along.. Apparently Shockey has made it clear to them he won't sign for less than he's asking.

#15 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

Really no need for Shockey with all the weapons we have now. Barny will do just fine as the #2 guy.

people wondering where shockey's targets will go should probably look no further than tolbert. i think he'll be getting the lions share of them and barney will probably get the remnants. i see him (barnidge) only being used situationally anyway. he'll be good at what he does, but his PT will be far more limited than tolbert's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.