Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NC's new mandatory evacuation law...

23 posts in this topic

Posted

May seem harsh, but I assume they are trying to avoid a Katrina type situation when a bunch of people stayed behind and nobody was there to help after they realized they were in over their head

Not trying to be argumentative but there were ALOT of people in new orleans that COULDN'T leave.

They had no money, no transportation, nothing.

I remember the Barbara Bush statement questioning why they didn't leave, like they could just hop their private planes to their summer houses in the Hamptons.

That just isn't a reality for a percentage of the population, especially in that neighborhood in New Orleans.

Posted

I understand all that.

I am, however, firmly in the school of not letting the Government make decisions for me.

I know when I need to leave b/c of a hurricane, I don't need the GTFO person to come tell me.

I understand your point.

But those same people who refuse to leave are the first ones to be bitching and screaming when there is not someone there to help them....just like Katrina.

Tell them that they are on their own if they stay.....then watch all of the idiots bashing the gov't for not doing anything to help them.

1 person likes this

Posted

Not trying to be argumentative but there were ALOT of people in new orleans that COULDN'T leave.

They had no money, no transportation, nothing.

I remember the Barbara Bush statement questioning why they didn't leave, like they could just hop their private planes to their summer houses in the Hamptons.

That just isn't a reality for a percentage of the population, especially in that neighborhood in New Orleans.

Of course there were, but I'm sure there were also people who stuck around despite the opportunity to leave.

There are some stubborn assholes who just wont leave when a hurricane is coming, and I'm guessing this law is just about liability/ extra motivation for those people. I dont think its too harsh, as long as they only use it in the most extreme situations. If they start pulling it out for every hurricane that hits nearby then yeah, thats a problem.

Posted

Of course there were, but I'm sure there were also people who stuck around despite the opportunity to leave.

There are some stubborn assholes who just wont leave when a hurricane is coming, and I'm guessing this law is just about liability/ extra motivation for those people. I dont think its too harsh, as long as they only use it in the most extreme situations. If they start pulling it out for every hurricane that hits nearby then yeah, thats a problem.

It's been my experience that they're all over the map with these mandatory evacuations... sometimes you think they'll do it and they don't, and sometimes it's a small storm and they do...

As far as NC goes, generally these things are limited to the beach towns, and unlike New Orleans, the populations of those towns don't have a problem with transport, it's usually a "I just don't want to leave" thing...

I live about 2 miles from the ocean, and not on a beach, we've never been under a mandatory evacuation... the only storm we chose voluntarily to leave for was Floyd, and it was a Cat 5 1.5 days out... Cat3 is about my limit where I live. Some people think it's fun to stay, others just don't want to leave their belongings... I personally think they're crazy, but also think it's their right. But they shouldn't be able to sue for not being rescued when the poo hits the fan.

Posted

I was on Holden Beach once when a hurricane came in. They went up and down the street with loudspeakers, announcing mandatory evac and that the bridge was closing at 2AM. Then later a guy pounded on the door, repeated that they were closing the bridge at 2 and if we didn't leave by then "you'll be on your own - do you understand?" Perfectly clear to me (we hauled ass), dont need a law to make me see things but then again I'm not a dumbass. For the most part.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm staying behind so I can loot everyone's evacuated houses

Posted

I'm staying behind so I can loot everyone's evacuated houses

Which is why I am staying behind with my legaly owned fire arms, (and the other ones as well)

Posted

Which is why I am staying behind with my legaly owned fire arms, (and the other ones as well)

because you want to share in the spoils!!!

amirite?

Posted

flintlock-pistol.jpg

Posted

flintlock-pistol.jpg

That is the one panthro wants us to use.

Posted

.....double post