Photo
- - - - -

It's looking more and more likely that Captain Munnerlyn will start again this season

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#31 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

I don't understand the surprise here.
If you've listened to Rivera's comments on training cam so far he's been real high on Munnerlyn a few times (Steve Smith of the defense etc)
Munnerlyn and LaFell both.

'Course I haven't seen any of the action from cam so it surprises me to read "as bad as he's been in camp" in the OP.

As far as the coach is concerned he's almost certainly locked in the 2nd corner spot:
"I think Captain Munnerlyn has a foothold on (cornerback opposite Chris Gamble) but they’ll still battling it out for the third position."

Ummmm no, just because Rivera praised him doesn't mean he doesn't suck, they guy got owned by fuging Darvin Adams, I've never even heard anyone say Munnerlyn has even been good on ONE play.

#32 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,549 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

thats just a few. we will also face Cruz, Dez/ Austin, Jackson/ Maclin, Thomas/Decker but captain should not be #2 cb you cannot win off desire alone you need to have some talent. on that one play vs Jordy were he gave up that 80 yard TD, it was a freaking slant route that turned into a footrace. he gave up inside leverage to easily.

#33 aussiePanther

aussiePanther

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

Ummmm no, just because Rivera praised him doesn't mean he doesn't suck, they guy got owned by fuging Darvin Adams, I've never even heard anyone say Munnerlyn has even been good on ONE play.

Not saying I like him. Pointing out that the fact the coach likes him is pretty significant when it comes to roster decisions

#34 Sam Mills Fan

Sam Mills Fan

The Truth Sometimes Hurts

• HUDDLER
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

You don't need preseason to see Munnerlyn will be the starter. Butler couldn't beat him last year and hasn't in camp so far. And everyone else is an abomination, a lower round rookie, or constantly injured.

#35 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

We're so fuged beyond words, Saints* and Falcons have too much firepower for our defense. This will not end well.

Thanks Hurney.

#36 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Told you Morgan sucked.

#37 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

it's official, with captain starting we're 2-14. it's all over. why bother this year. kill yourself.

#38 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

This is the elephant in the room for Huddlers and Panthers fans everywhere. With as bad as he was last season and as bad as he's been in training camp, should we rationally still be expecting the playoffs? Guys, Captain was as bad last year as Cam was good.

Someone make the case that we can still make the playoffs even with the worst starting cornerback in the league with a schedule that features tons of elite quarterbacks.

I have and still believe Capn' is our guy. last year was a bad year for him as well as the entire defense. I mean could you do your job with replacements and rookies? Rivera speaks highly of him and thats who I trust. he has forgotten more about football than the so-called geniuses on this site have ever dreamed of learning. So if Ron says it's good, I'll trust him.

#39 pilot2011

pilot2011

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

I actually don't think our secondary is in that bad of shape... Ultimately, Norman will be the starter across from Gamble, but as for now I think Captain is our best option due to his experience and his strong showing at this year's camp.

But down the road, this competition at corner will pay huge dividends in allowing coaches to see who excells where, specifically how Hogan, Butler, Stanford, and Munnerlyn does against certain receivers and offenses. I think that our secondary could very well be strategically chosen week to week to play situational defense.

#40 pilot2011

pilot2011

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

I've forgotten about Nate Ness too. This guy has experience in this league and could just as easily take the #2 spot.

#41 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

I've forgotten about Nate Ness too. This guy has experience in this league and could just as easily take the #2 spot.

how sad is it that we can pick up a guy like Ness and he could be our starter?
We really need some help at this position.

#42 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

Epic meltdown is Epic

#43 Nine_Lives

Nine_Lives

The Notorious GrG

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationNever neverland

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

As it stands he's the 2nd best corner on the team. Its not his fault that no one else has stood out. Cap is doing his job, maybe some of the others should start doing theirs.

#44 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• HUDDLER
  • 9,794 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

is this because he was listed at the top of that depth chart that PR made for the texans game.

he's listed as the starter because he needs the fewest reps of any corner on our roster not named chris gamble. the "starters" will play like two series and then ride the bench.

#45 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,587 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

i love how you annd others act as if captain does nothing good. like he is our starter cause there are obviously no other defensive backs on the roster. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com