Photo
- - - - -

How big is the difference between KR and PR?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,201 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

no. he played DB his rookie season.

Winner!

#32 NoDa Panther

NoDa Panther

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

We do have a DB that has handled PR duties. As atrocious as AE was last year I thought they would have put Captain Munnerlyn in there to give PR duties a boost. I know he wouldn't have been that much more effective but he did it consistently at USC and a little bit his rookie year.

He may not have been given the opportunity to return punts due to the four fumbles he had during punt returns in 09/10. Given the efficiency of our offense last year, the staff may have prioritized ball security over a potential 5 yard return variance.

#33 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,091 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

PR give me a Hester/Smith type player with lots of "wiggle".

KR give me an Antonio Cromartie/Megatron with tons of top end speed and great vision.

Obviously the only player in this post that is played there all the time is Hester, and that's because he isn't a good WR yet.

#34 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,603 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

PR give me a Hester/Smith type player with lots of "wiggle".

KR give me an Antonio Cromartie/Megatron with tons of top end speed and great vision.

Obviously the only player in this post that is played there all the time is Hester, and that's because he isn't a good WR yet.

i think he's peaked in that category. he's had plenty of time to develop there and they went out and drafted alshon and also picked up marshall. i take that as a sign that they didn't really like hester's potential as a WR.

he's only really ever been good at returning the ball and that's probably going to be the extent of his role there in chi-town.

#35 Icege

Icege

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

i think he's peaked in that category. he's had plenty of time to develop there and they went out and drafted alshon and also picked up marshall. i take that as a sign that they didn't really like hester's potential as a WR.

he's only really ever been good at returning the ball and that's probably going to be the extent of his role there in chi-town.

The fact that that is going to be the extent of his role in Chicago and they'll keep him around for it is a testament to how spectacular he is at that role. I can't help but lean forward whenever he's lined up a field the kick.

And yea, I don't think he's got much going for him as a WR. At best a #3, but a #3/#4 that is holds NFL records relevant to his position? Yes pls.

Maybe I'm just so desperate to see a quality return game after so many years of missing one that I'm overly impressed. Like when TheOracle's girlfriend (read: his hand) meets up with an average stranger at a urinal. Sometimes when you've got nothing to work with you'll take anything you can get your hands on :P

#36 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

no. he played DB his rookie season.

I think, though I could be wrong, he never actually appeared in a game as a DB. No career tackles, no INTs, no pass breakups. That's what I meant when I said he was drafted as one but never played.

#37 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,603 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

no stats, but i remember him on the field.

he wasn't good.

#38 Dont Check My Chicken

Dont Check My Chicken

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

Punt returners need speed but, they have to be more elusive in order to avoid a collapsing pocket of protection. Kick returners need more speed than elusiveness because they generally hit the seam with fewer cuts like the Broncos' running scheme. Additionally, the PR must make quick decisions on how to handle a punt whereas a KR does not. Few KRs can make quick decisions AND have good hands too.

#39 Thorrez

Thorrez

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

Punt return guy needs to be shiftier. A good punter can have a Punt returner completely surrounded by kick coverage when he catches the ball. A good average for a punt return is 10 yards. AE averaged about 5.8 yards. A good average for a kickoff return is 20 yards. AE averaged 11.7 yards.

All other Panther teammates averaged 22-25 yards per kick off return.

http://sports.yahoo....ug=ycn-10690001

Armanti Edwards' Historically Bad 2011 Campaign

Through Week 14 Armanti Edwards has handled all 30 of Carolina's punt returns, generating the 5.8 average per return and longest (or shortest?) return of 17 yards. Edwards was drafted by the Panthers in 2010 due in large part for his potential to break big plays with his speed, but this has not happened through Edwards' first two seasons in the league.

In fact, the opposite is true this year - Armanti Edwards is on pace to having one of the statistically worst seasons as a punt returner in modern NFL history.

Since the NFL went to a 16-game schedule in 1978, a total of 472 punt returners have matched Edwards' year-to-date total of 30 punt returns. Of those 472 players, only 17 have generated fewer than Armanti Edwards' current average of 5.5 yards per return (click here for supporting data from Pro-Football-Reference.com).

The stats don't lie - the Panthers punt return game with Armanti Edwards has not only been bad in 2011, it has been historically bad, and it's time for Carolina to make a change.

He forgets the most important stat: 0 fumbles

I take a 1 yard average as long as Cam gets the ball!

#40 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,603 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

and that makes it all ok?

meh. how about making it easier for our stud QB? more points. more wins. you know....stuff that matters. we can;/t just sit back and say, "well, he didn't go backward and he didn't drop the ball so let's just keep him there." expect better.

#41 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 18,304 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

He forgets the most important stat: 0 fumbles

I take a 1 yard average as long as Cam gets the ball!

Some of the worst logic I've read here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com