Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inimicus

Lake Lure

35 posts in this topic

Every time I roll my kayak to cool off I come up with a head full of water. Since that hasn't killed me yet (and Ive rolled in some pretty nasty water) I think it will be ok.

Check out Larkins on the Lake. If you have a boat you can dock there and go eat or hang out outside in the bar area.

Last summer a kid died of the infection after swimming in a river. Definitely not stagnant.

Last month a kid died from the infection after swimming in man made Lake Marion. Water temperature is a bigger factor than stagnation.

It doesn't even need to be terribly warm. A kid died in Minnesota a few weeks ago after swimming in a lake.

Calm it down Mysophobe. Live life a little and don't worry about dying so much. I don't know that I'd live my life worrying about possibly contracting a bacteria that has killed less than a thousand people in history. (granted it's probably more than that since the ability to diagnose is relatively recent, but it's still VERY low odds). You have a greater chance of catching and dying from E.Coli from a public swimming pool than this.

The Notebook wasn't filmed at Lake Lure. Ingles or Walmart in Hendersonville is a really short drive from town if you're needing supplies/groceries straight up 64. One of the best hamburgers I've eaten was at Larkins but the last time I went the food quality was pretty poor. They could have just had a bad day so I recommend at least giving them a try. Swimming, boating, hiking you have a lot of outdoor activities to choose from so Lake Lure is a great place if you enjoy that type of stuff. Oh and watch out for the cops, they're terrible.

I believe Lake Lure now has an Ingles.

Almost all man made lakes have enough current that they aren't "stagnant", thus not a breeding ground for such bacteria. Random moss covered ponds....yeah don't swim there. Lake Lure, Watauga Lake, etc.....swimming is ok.

You know Watauga Lake? That is my "home lake." I grew up in that area.

Now I live near Lake James. Plan to be swimming there this weekend.

You know Watauga Lake? That is my "home lake." I grew up in that area.

Now I live near Lake James. Plan to be swimming there this weekend.

Yeah, I'm from Boone. My dad had a ski boat and we used to camp on one of the lake's islands a few times every summer.

Yeah, I'm from Boone. My dad had a ski boat and we used to camp on one of the lake's islands a few times every summer.

Cool. I am from Elizabethton, TN. That is a nice lake.

Yeah it's beautiful and, because of the steep slope and the fact that 75% of the shore line is national forest, undeveloped

1 person likes this

I've caught some huge wall-eye at Watauga. Thats also where I caught my biggest catfish. One of those islands is where I first smoked weed. Ahhh the memories.

But don't swim in lakes OR public pools.

...and live in a bubble, eat protein paste, and autoclave yourself everyday.