• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#76 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

Go to the message boards for those teams, I bet they also have people who whine nonstop about one position or another. New England and NYG have also had multiple GMs over that period, I'd say a lot of their success has to do with coaching. New England's old GM went to KC and didn't produce much. Indy's success largely comes from one draft pick that turned out very very well, obviously. But again, if you're the kind of person who needs to be extremely negative and calling for someone's head at all times(Philly fan syndrome?), and the coach is too new to blame, and the QB is new and has done everything you could ask a rookie to do, the next guy in line has to be the GM. If they fired Hurney and the team went 7-9, you'd have to start blaming the coordinators. Or the equipment manager.

I'm not on this message board because I am a ring chaser. Obviously. Expecting a Super Bowl every year would be unrealistic, I get my share of thrills from the Panthers, but that doesn't mean I can't see any flaws with them.

#77 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,223 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Bronson Pinchot?

#78 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,453 posts

ralphie.

#79 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,661 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

That fat kid Sponge from "Salute your shorts"?

#80 zebrainz

zebrainz

Puddytats

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

Bob Ross

#81 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,223 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

Fuggin happy trees

#82 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,661 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

Norm Abram?

#83 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

It's unbelievable that one little off-the-cuff, humorous comment from Sean McDermott produced this beauty of a thread.

Oh wait. No it isn't.

#84 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,223 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

Thomas Kincaid painter of light?

#85 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,661 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:51 PM

Peter North painter of faces?

#86 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,600 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

Desmond Tutu?

try again muthafuga!

Wennie Mandela son?

try again muthafuga!

#87 Panthercougar68

Panthercougar68

The Nice

• HUDDLER
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

Stoop Kid?...whats going on

#88 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,661 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

Jane Goodall?

#89 Icege

Icege

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

In this thread i find out which chicken littles to ignore

#90 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:05 PM

I'm not on this message board because I am a ring chaser. Obviously. Expecting a Super Bowl every year would be unrealistic, I get my share of thrills from the Panthers, but that doesn't mean I can't see any flaws with them.

I see flaws too. But I tend to think about costs and benefits of addressing each flaw. "Get a #2 corner" is easy to say. But from where? There aren't a bunch of guaranteed success stories with no flaws hanging out in the free agent pool begging to be signed. What if they watch film on the available players and decide none of them are worth the price or better than the guys they have on hand? Then the guy you want Hurney to sign becomes the free agent bust that proves to you that Hurney should be fired. Should the team have drafted a corner instead of Keuchly if they thought the CB wasn't as good a player but filled a bigger need? If they did that and the pick was a bust, would fans like you say "that's ok, I forgive Marty's drafting because he picked the guy I wanted him to"? I tend to think not, but again, it depends on your evaluation of the player. But this isn't baseball and we're not the Yankees, so every team is gonna have flaws, we can't just get every player we ever want. "Fire the GM" is a similar idea. Fine, but replace him with who? Unless Bill Belichick or Ozzie Newsome is secretly calling JR every night begging to come work for the Panthers I don't see how we can be so sure we'd be better off. I've learned it's a good idea to be careful about firing capable people unless you're sure you find a replacement that's an upgrade. Measured rationality may not be as much fun to express on the internet as frantic hyperbole, but it's a better way to run a football team, or any other company, in the real world

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com