#106 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:41 AM

If we would just move Thomas Davis to SS we would be ok with anyone at corner. This includes Otah, Fred Smoot, and old Bink that lives in the box off of South blvd

#107 Achilles

Achilles

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:18 AM

Huddlers are reading too much into this comment. It seems more like he's trying not to name a favorite before players even officially take the field.

I have actually inferred from all that I read that the secondary will be stronger this season. Gamble is solid, Godfrey is settled, Nakamura is an upgrade, and we have a question mark right now at CB2. We have holes elsewhere, but let's also assume the DL will be somewhat improved. Even if these units just improve to average performance (somewhere in the middle of the league in yards and scores allowed) and the offense returns we will be a MUCH better football team.

Big picture: people are questioning not drafting a DL or CB with that #9 overall. I think Keuchly will contribute starting tonight! His presence alone is worth at least 1 or 2 3 and outs more per game than last year. Could a CB give us that or a DT? I really doubt it.

Hurney got it right with Kuechly. Plus, this defense had so far to go to improve that its not surprising that we couldn't fill all the holes.

I still like the rookie Norman to ultimately win the starting job. Hogan will contribute. Munn will find his niche.

This is not a sky is falling kind of comment. It was an off-hand sarcastic comment that ended up in a tweet. It's not like that was a true journalistic moment.

#108 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

I think I would have preferred coach-speak there.

#109 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:11 AM

We are ok at corner. Our sucky DTs, have a year more of experience, we drafted Frank Alexander, and Keuchly already has Ray Lewis status. You can put anyone back there now really.

#110 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

People are amazing. Meltdown because of one little comment - he could have been joking. Butler did fine last year. Norman will be starting week 1 because of his height. Reality is our pass rush was more of a problem than our corners last year. They are not many corners in the NFL that could contain the pass happy NFC South anyway. We just need to get some turnovers this year and have red zone stops.

#111 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:55 AM

Again, relevance? It seems to me you're just skirting the main issue of this thread (lack of investment in CB position) in favor of parroting fear prop. Hypothetically, if we fired Hurney, our choices of replacements would never simply be limited to a bunch of message board fans and anybody as bad as Dan Snyder. Besides, the very guy you're bitching at everyone for critiquing started out writing the beat for the Redskins.

I'm not bitching everyone out for critiquing Hurney. I am pointing out the idiocy of the "OMG Hurney is the worst ever!" people popping up every time it's noted that our team has weaknesses anywhere. You can't have a thread on here that mentions #2 CB or DT without it turning into people calling for the GM to be fired, before the preseason even starts. Not every thread mentioning Cam or Beason or Olsen turns into people talking about how unbelievably great Hurney is for getting those guys, so I don't see why every thread mentioning a weakness has to turn into a bitch fest, unless you think that other teams just don't have weaknesses. If you think Fox was lost for his last few years here, I mostly agree. My point was, if you think the coaching was bad during that time, it doesn't seem fair to pin the W/L record entirely on the GM. I don't remember many people saying "Hey, we shouldn't blame Fox, Hurney didn't give him good enough players"

#112 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

And somehow this team still is in the bottom two in this division as far as talent.

We have alot of talent but its all at rb

#113 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,468 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

omg guys an OPEN COMPETITION in training camp. fug ME.

This is why I hate posting this kind of poo now.

#114 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,625 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:26 AM

We have alot of talent but its all at rb

It's "a lot".

No talent at QB, LB, WR, OL, DE or TE?

Good to know.

#115 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,649 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

i can't believe any of you think he said that with a dead pan serious face and wasn't trying to be funny.

you guys are reading way too much into it.

typical.

#116 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,060 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

More important in todays NFL?

CB's or RB's

That is the question.

#117 KARASMATIC444

KARASMATIC444

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

My biggest problem with our CB situation is that if we lose gamble, we are screwed. there is no decent #2 guy that could possibly step up and play for a short amount of time when needed, no, if gamble goes down, our whole secondary falls to pieces. this has much to do with hurney neglecting the crap out of the position to provide the team with a serviceable guy with experience to play alongside gamble. Captain is tenacious, but tiny, and gets abused regularly. Hogan is apparently a gimp, and Norman is a 5th round rookie.

This is the one area i feel like we needed to address this offseason and we really didn't. I am not horribly horribly upset, just mighty concerned.

I can understand, that concern, but it could be said of a lot of positions on our team, and every other team in the NFL. With the Salary Cap you cant field all pro and all pro backups at ever spot. I can see the concern but reality you just cant prepare for that. You try to do the best you can, but there's not enough money to pay everyone. I would think if we lose someone like Gamble, we would look to find some old vet to bring in and search the trash for a hidden gem. We are not the only team that does that, the good teams are the ones who get lucky on a few trash guys when they lose someone.

#118 TylerVagyler

TylerVagyler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

you guys are idiots. you need to learn how to laugh. he was obviously making a joke.

#119 panthers34

panthers34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

i dont expect kuechly to be covering julio jones

Maybe in a zone defense

#120 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,784 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

DAMN THIS TEAM AND THERE NEW BRUTAL HONESTY MINDSET!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com