Photo
- - - - -

Of Hangman and Gross

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#31 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:12 PM

Omiyale is an UFA after this season also. OL depth next year is a major issue especially with Bridges off field issues.

#32 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

Bump.

Well, in the end, Gross and his agent made the smart gamble by not signing his extension. Remember both sides said they were in 90% agreement in prinicpal but could not come together on the fine details last summer. Well Gross is now in the pro bowl (as a left tackle to boot) and his value has shot up even more....much more.

Keeping him and Peppers just got a lot tougher. There is a good chance Gross will be offered the highest contract ever at the OT spot next March. If we could extend Peppers before March, we could franchise Gross and it might be cheaper than what the average per year contract would be with another team. Still someone might just give us a 1st and 3rd round pick for him which would be fine with me.

#33 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:53 AM

Bump.

Well, in the end, Gross and his agent made the smart gamble by not signing his extension. Remember both sides said they were in 90% agreement in prinicpal but could not come together on the fine details last summer. Well Gross is now in the pro bowl (as a left tackle to boot) and his value has shot up even more....much more.

Keeping him and Peppers just got a lot tougher. There is a good chance Gross will be offered the highest contract ever at the OT spot next March. If we could extend Peppers before March, we could franchise Gross and it might be cheaper than what the average per year contract would be with another team. Still someone might just give us a 1st and 3rd round pick for him which would be fine with me.

I still think that Gross wants to stay in Carolina and that will go a long way in re-signing him. But overall, the chances of Carolina re-signing both of them are a lot lower now that both made the pro-bowl.

#34 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:58 AM

Kurb, the fact that it's a thin year for OT FA's will be offset by the back to back unbelievably deep draft classes for OT's.

Gross will still command good money, but not as much as he thinks.

#35 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:09 PM

Rookie OT's are having a huge impact on the NFL as our own Otah and Sam Baker have shown.

Another factor that will help Gross in the market is his amazing ability to remain healthy. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team offer him an 80 million contract.

#36 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:10 PM

Kurb, the fact that it's a thin year for OT FA's will be offset by the back to back unbelievably deep draft classes for OT's.

Gross will still command good money, but not as much as he thinks.

His penalies, I think, will also drop his number a bit. Teams will figure a rookie will make the same mistakes but for a lower price.

#37 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:11 PM

Rookie OT's are having a huge impact on the NFL as our own Otah and Sam Baker have shown.

Don't know if you've checked it out, but this year's class might be better than last year's.

#38 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:19 PM

The class is huge although two of the biggest names, Oher and Loadholt are slipping a little. Others have emerged.

I know Fox has loosened up his loyalty to veterans lately but I have hard time believing he would want the starting OT's next year to have a combined one year of NFL experience.

#39 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,535 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:26 PM

I know money makes a huge impact on this decision, but continuity on the line is huge as well. I would love to see Gross come back next year...

#40 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:30 PM

I would be overjoyed to see the Panthers cut Ken Lucas. He has a big salary and is obviously past his prime. He is turning into the Deshaun Foster of the defense. His lost salary would open up a good bit of space to resign at least one of the two collosal UFA's we have. Landon Johnson is an obvious cut. He was a FA bust from day 1. Nick Goings should be gone, and so should DJ Hackett. I think not having a first round pick to sign this year should really put a precedence on resigning two former first round picks. With some cuts and contract restructurings I think it is possible.

#41 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:44 PM

Another factor that will help Gross in the market is his amazing ability to remain healthy. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team offer him an 80 million contract.

Don't forget the best one of all thus far in Clady.

#42 panthersphan

panthersphan

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

For some reason...I see Gross going to Denver

#43 BlindSite

BlindSite

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

I've said for a long time Hangartner was a steal and he's been stellar as a back up for his versatility.

Gross is a big need to sign, and I'd love to see us keep all three guys, but I doubt we do. I love the idea of using the tag and seeking a trade. I trust our scouts to pick good OTs. Hell worst comes to worst we could have Wharton back out there. *shudder*

#44 chbright

chbright

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:08 PM

Don't know if you've checked it out, but this year's class might be better than last year's.

if 2 or more of the top jr LT come out then by far the better class. the fact that a guy like Oher, a guy #2 OT behind long last year if he came out, is now #3, or #4 this year speaks volumes.

andre smith( may or may not come out)
jason smith
eugene monroe
oher
ebon britton (may or may not come out)
phil loadholt

at G
duke robinson
herman johnson

at center
max unger (the swiss army knife, may be able to play all 5 possition at the next level)
alex mack

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com