Photo
* * * * - 13 votes

Jonathan Stewart Signs Five Year (36.5 Million) Contract Extension

Best Answer Kurb, 11 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

I would say I am shocked so many of you fail to see the implications of this waste of money in RunningBacks, then I remember Im the local badguy lately for saying we spend too much on runningbacks and you are all incredible homers. Go to the full post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
368 replies to this topic

#151 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,512 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

Look at who wants to come to the party 45 mins late.

https://twitter.com/...408970297700355

#152 tondi

tondi

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

Travelle Wharton injured last night and out for the season. Hate if for the guy but glad we got Stewy signed.

#153 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Joe Person just tweeted that the Panthers extended Stewart, so I guess it must be true

#154 Stumpy

Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
  • LocationHickory

oh no we're investing in running backs in a "passing league." what ever will we do against all of those defenses that are designed to stop the pass in such a league?

(we're probably going to run all over them and pass over the top)

This is what I have been thinking ever since the Stewart signing. The NFL is historically very cyclical.

For the past 10+ years, teams have been gearing more and more on the passing game. This means smaller, quicker defenders with a focus on coverage/pass rush skills.

A team built for power running should be able to bulldoze these smaller defenders. Today's NFL defenses will have to cheat WAY up to have a chance at containing our ground game.

And when they do, Cam will kill them over the top with our ACO vertical passing game.

If every team in the league is trying to do one thing, do the opposite. See: The Greatest Show on Turf...

#155 MemphisGambler

MemphisGambler

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

90 million into RB's my ass, half of that is guaranteed... and dwill has pretty much already got his

Since it has become a passing league , a strong running game could become a new trend since the defenses are geared to stop the pass. Also, Tolbert is not a 3rd running back in the traditional sense. He is a replacement for Shockey per Rivera. He can block, catch the ball and, bonus, he can play red zone offense and RUN (Shockey not) or catch the ball for a TD. What if Stew or DWill get injured ? Considering our defense, running the ball helps Cam and, hopefully, keeps the defense off the field more. I bet the Chargers are pooing on themselves since the Ryan Mathews injury this week and they have nothing behind him.

#156 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

Look at who wants to come to the party 45 mins late.

https://twitter.com/...408970297700355

Damn, you beat me to it

#157 SCMunnerlyn1

SCMunnerlyn1

The Fuhckening has begun

• HUDDLER
  • 5,594 posts
  • LocationValdosta Georgia

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

Yep, Cap is not getting a new contract after this year. So no point in making him a starter either, somebody else is gonna take that number 2 position.

Even if someone takes 2 .. who's gonna take 3 .. you need 3-4 good corners now with how the league is. I call BS that he doesnt receive a new contract especially since he was a 7th round pick who we havent payed diddly squat to. He can play nickle,outside 2 , and special teams .. how many of the other corners on our team not named gamble can do that? Hogan? Butler? Oh whats that they can't? Unfortunate.

#158 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,670 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

Carolina Panthers @Panthers
JStew: I just want to thank Marty Hurney, Mr. Jerry Richardson & the entire Panthers organization for believing in me & getting this done.

#159 Dick the Butcher

Dick the Butcher

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,391 posts
  • LocationCornelius, NC

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#160 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

And three of them didn't win the Super Bowl.

The 49ers had a fantastic running game and they were a special teams mistake away from making it to the Super Bowl.

If the Texans had a healthy Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson, they probably would have been Super Bowl Favorites

When the Vikes had Brett Favre and Adrian Peterson they were a play away from going to the Super Bowl.

The Panthers made it to the Super Bowl with a running game of Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster.

I will take a good running game and a good passing game over a one-dimensional offense any day because more than likely that multi-functional offense will always have the edge over a one dimensional offense.

There are two hysterical points you tried to make.
1) Yeah only one could have won the Superbowl. And one of my examples won, and not a running team. And if Eli didn't win, another of my examples Brady would have.

2) Did you really use a team from about 10 years ago right before the passing rules changed as an example. LOL!

The point was that you originally made was that contrary to everyone's beliefs the run actually opens up the passing game. You didn't say anything about Superbowls. All four of them passed successfully without a running game.

#161 Guest_Hokebuck_*

Guest_Hokebuck_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

DeAngelo Williams agrees to five-year, $43M deal 2011

Jonathan Stewart signs five-year, $36.5M deal 2012

This is a passing league?????????

#162 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,670 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Carolina Panthers @Panthers
RB @Jonathanstewar1: “This is a special team and great running back group. I love Charlotte, and I’m glad this will be home.”

#163 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,682 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

There are two hysterical points you tried to make.
1) Yeah only one could have won the Superbowl. And one of my examples won, and not a running team. And if Eli didn't win, another of my examples Brady would have.

2) Did you really use a team from about 10 years ago right before the passing rules changed as an example. LOL!

The point was that you originally made was that contrary to everyone's beliefs the run actually opens up the passing game. You didn't say anything about Superbowls. All four of them passed successfully without a running game.

Still have to run to open up the pass regardless.

Defenses can easily key in on teams that are one dimensional.

The Giants knew this going into the Super Bowl which is why Ahmad Bradshaw had a good game.

#164 Jrock88

Jrock88

huddle vet

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

DeAngelo Williams agrees to five-year, $43M deal 2011

Jonathan Stewart signs five-year, $36.5M deal 2012

This is a passing league?????????

well when u look at what some of the qb's in the league are making ... yea

stewy wont be making half of what those guys are