Godfrey

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

wow, the entire secondary looked bad last year because we had no pass rush at all. you give a qb all day to throw, he will pick you apart. Godfrey may not be as good as people may want, but last year was not all his fault.

#32 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,292 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

wow, the entire secondary looked bad last year because we had no pass rush at all. you give a qb all day to throw, he will pick you apart. Godfrey may not be as good as people may want, but last year was not all his fault.

Godfrey has been consistantly missing assignments and out of position every season since he arrived. Lack of pass rush doesn't seem to be his issue. His issue is he doesn't seem to play S well.

#33 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

There's a pretty significant (and obvious) difference between: a DB who is playing well and is eventually being burned because the QB had time to make a sandwich before he threw a pass and a DB who is regularly not even in the same zip code as his assignment.

Yes our entire secondary looked suspect last year but Godfrey was the one who I recall most often just being in the wrong damn place.

#34 Jrock88

Jrock88

huddle vet

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

he doesn't have the instincts or tackling ability to play S, imo. sure he jacks up a little receiver(like welker that one time, loved that one) from time to time... but if the ball carrier has any kind of moves or running power... godfrey is going to get embarassed

#35 Jrock88

Jrock88

huddle vet

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

and in coverage it just seems like he is always a couple steps behind. its sucks because i was hoping it was jsut a conversion thing and he'd grow into the position.. but its not looking like it

#36 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

Look for a safety in next year draft.

Eric Reid, Lester, McDonald or Jefferson

Rambo

#37 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,369 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

Would he be good on special teams??

#38 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

Regardless of pass rush you can tell that anybody but Gamble isn't starter material in the secondary. Some better than others.

Yes, a pass rush helps the secondary but plenty of times Munnerlyn would get beat before a pass rush would ever be able to develop.

You can still evaluate players without being surrounded by a perfect defense.

he doesn't have the instincts or tackling ability to play S, imo. sure he jacks up a little receiver(like welker that one time, loved that one) from time to time... but if the ball carrier has any kind of moves or running power... godfrey is going to get embarassed

Godfrey is pretty good in run defense. I don't see much wrong with his instincts.

#39 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,369 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

I just dont understand the purpose of soft zone coverage that allows 15 yds a play

#40 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

I just dont understand the purpose of soft zone coverage that allows 15 yds a play

Yeah that makes no sense especially for our secondary who cant seem to stay with players. So you give them more cushion to make more moves in space.

I'd rather them play tight (even though they will inevitable be beat) and have the QB make a play over the top.

#41 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,369 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

Yeah that makes no sense especially for our secondary who cant seem to stay with players. So you give them more cushion to make more moves in space.

I'd rather them play tight (even though they will inevitable be beat) and have the QB make a play over the top.

Im gonna say the success of this season may depend on if we can somehow get some turnovers. It's looking like we won't be able to force punts

#42 Jrock88

Jrock88

huddle vet

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

i have confidence in gamble to play tight press coverage and stay with his man.... because he has the size and speed to do so.

munnerlyn will get bullied tho

#43 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

Our safety situation is good. We will have on of the worst secondaries again. Another draft will roll around where we will have to address safety and Dline. I hope we actually address them.

#44 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

Yeah Munnerlyn gets beat regardless. If he sees the field put him in nickel where he isn't as isolated and can use his physical play.

#45 PiratePanther189

PiratePanther189

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

I was hoping that Nakamura and Smith would be our starting safeties this year. Not because I thought they'd be so great, but because I knew that what we already had was so terrible.

I think we have a mindstate that the free agents that we bring in will have an impact, when in all honesty there have been less that 10 at most free agents brought in during Hurney's tenure that have made significant contributions as starters to this team. It just never happens. It's draft or nothing for the Panthers and it's annoying sometimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com