Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pass Coverage, Run Defense & ST Coverage will hold Panthers down again

48 posts in this topic

Posted

Good defenses aren't necessarily filled with all-pros. Just need a group that works well together and know when and how to make a play. Our guys are still trying to find their chemistry together. That's why injuries hurt so much.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hell, Kuechly looks like a Pro Bowler out there already .. kid is determined and smart..

Think a faster, smarter, less injury prone version of Dan Morgan with better hands. #59 is going to be special...

But Beason is slowing up a bit, it's obvious, and I just hope he (and Edwards for that matter) can make it through the season at full speed and full strength.

Too much riding on a rookie and players coming back from injuries... (especially when one of those players gets a minor injury just when it looks like he may be ready...Beason)

Let's hope I'm wrong... I just have ZERO faith in our Pass Coverage....Zero.

I mean all the names mentioned (Kuechly, Beason, Edwards) don't play the defensive backfield. Godfrey, Martin and Munnerlyn? Oh god!!! Ewwwweeeee

Honestly, I could see some improvement in the Run Defense solely on Kuechly, Beason and Edwards though... let's hope!! (can't be much worse from last year though right?)

What? How is it obvious if he hasnt even got on the field yet?

Posted

I believe that our defense will be better this year but I'm still a little uneasy about our run defense. We're depending completly on Edwards. If Edwards goes down again, we'll be right back where we were last year.

Posted

What? How is it obvious if he hasnt even got on the field yet?

he didn't have as many tackles in 2010 and apparently that's definitive proof

let's also not mention that he started several games at WLB with connor in the middle that season because of davis' injury and wasn't actually playing MLB until connor was injured himself.

1 person likes this

Posted

iamhubby - all I'm saying is we're relying on a rookie and players coming back from injury to bolster our lackluster defense from a season ago. That's never a good thing when you didn't fill the holes around them (DB, DT).

I don't see how you would disagree with that.

Get over your Jon Beason squabble , he'll be back, I think we agree on this.

I don't see Godfrey, Martin, Munnerlyn and the rest of the DBs (sans Gamble) and the DTs being an "asset" to our defense (like Beason is).

Everybody that has played in the NFL was a rookie at one time. Our rookie has stud written all over him. He played 6 mins. last night. Had 4 tackles and a FF. That was a good start.

When two of the returning injured are a DT and MLB that absolutely helps your D up the middle. Don't see how so many dismiss that.

The NFL has a limit on the number of draft picks teams get. So adding talent is a never ending battle. When a team is as replete of talent as this team was just two years ago, it takes a couple of years to rebuild. Sorry if that fact is so annoying for some.

Are we the only team with holes? Thought not. We are a young team on the rise. One preseason game is not going to derail where we are headed.

Folks that get upset that a young team lost a preseason game are scary individuals. These are the same people that throw a hissy when the food they ordered is not perfect. Or go overboard at any preceived personal slight. The woe is me folks, those are the ones we need to educate.

Posted

I look at the Secondary and Think: Speed Kills.

Kuechly (a LB I Know) proves that point exactly. He is QUICK and FAST. Plus he knows how to wrap up when he tackles.

Our Secondary (in general) Lacks ... Speed for What the D Coord Wants to Do. That's Why our Front Four Have GOT to Put Pressure on QB's. It makes the LB's Job Easier. They can now come up and Fill Gaps, Blitz, or Drop in Coverage. It minimizes the Exposure of the Secondary. These Guys are simply NOT FAST. And I might add Poor Tackling Technique.

That's Why There is Always That Big A$$ Hole in the Zone Coverage.

They Can't Play Too Far Up - They Get Beat Deep.

They Can't Play Too Far Back - Just Allow the Other Team to Keep Moving the Chains with 10-20 yard 1st Dn Coverting Passes.

They Play 8-10 yrds Off the Receiver. Gamble can/seems able to cover Most receivers 1 on 1. The other side? Who knows. If a receiver gets behind any of them; Who is FAST Enough to Recover? So it's a Big Play or a TD. Bump and Run? Not on Your Life.

I'm thinking/hoping that Rivera is trying to play down the switch to the 3-4. I suspect when the season starts that will be the "True" Panther Defense supplimented by the 4-3. It will help both Run and Pass Defense. It seems to be best suited for the Players we have. It gives us the Best Chance to see our Defense improve.

Just a Thought ...

Posted

Hell, Kuechly looks like a Pro Bowler out there already .. kid is determined and smart..

Think a faster, smarter, less injury prone version of Dan Morgan with better hands. #59 is going to be special...

But Beason is slowing up a bit, it's obvious, and I just hope he (and Edwards for that matter) can make it through the season at full speed and full strength.

Too much riding on a rookie and players coming back from injuries... (especially when one of those players gets a minor injury just when it looks like he may be ready...Beason)

Let's hope I'm wrong... I just have ZERO faith in our Pass Coverage....Zero.

I mean all the names mentioned (Kuechly, Beason, Edwards) don't play the defensive backfield. Godfrey, Martin and Munnerlyn? Oh god!!! Ewwwweeeee

Honestly, I could see some improvement in the Run Defense solely on Kuechly, Beason and Edwards though... let's hope!! (can't be much worse from last year though right?)

I gave you pie be mistake. But any way. Did I miss something last night. Did Beason even play last night. I didn't catch the first D drive of the game. But Beason is coming off injury. Sure he is going to be a tad slow at first. But he will be back at full strength soon. So I wouldn't worry to much.

Posted

Where is this evidence? In all the film of games he's played in since he got hurt? Oh wait, there isn't any......

Talking out his ass. The man has gotten better every year. He misses a season,now he's falling off!?!? Dude couldn't tell his cyock from his thumb.

Posted

Beason isn't a former shell of himself by anymeans... but he has slipped off the ladder a bit with the likes of Patrick Willis and Clay Matthews...

Clay Matthews isn't the same kind of LBer!!! Further evidence that you don't have a fuggin clue.

Posted

And as someone already said, in 2010, Beason started the season off as the WLB because Davis was hurt. Until that year his tackles had increased every year. You can't hold 2010 against him.

Posted

Yes it will! I know its only the preseason and everyone doesnt want to show everything but by just watching from yesterday, the secondary is still as terrible as last season. Run defense is still a problem also.

ST is terrible, point the fingers to Murphy and RR for still wanting to keep this man after last year.

RR and Hurney def needs to solve those spots next year by the draft and FA. Next year FA class of secondary is pretty damn good with guys like DRC being available.

Posted

(this has nothing to do with our performance in our first preseason game)

MJhg9.jpg