Photo
- - - - -

Pass Coverage, Run Defense & ST Coverage will hold Panthers down again

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#37 GotSwag?

GotSwag?

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

The offense is pretty much set for a few years with Cam, Double Trouble, Smitty, Young Wrs like Gettis and LaFell, a good TE and a good OL.

I see Hurney and Big Cat concentrating on D this next offseason for sure. Lets let this season pllay out before writing it off though. I remember a few Packers fans say the championship season before last, that they didnt have a good enough defense to win it all.

We'll see what happens.

#38 RufftownRepresent

RufftownRepresent

Formerly Know As Ruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

But Beason is slowing up a bit, it's obvious, and I just hope he (and Edwards for that matter) can make it through the season at full speed and full strength.

I can't believe someone else noticed how slow Beason looked not in pads last night! #definitelynotsarcasm

#39 broseidon

broseidon

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

No significant changes made in the off-season, besides Kuechly, who looks like a star in the making, but the lack of talent at the DT and DB positions are going to ultimately hinder our chances at winning the big prize...and I could even see it holding us down to a 7-9/8-8 season...

Now the ST coverage? I don't even want to get into that.

But I really see a long season of runs up the middle and deep passes in the 4th quarter that will hold this Panther team back.

Rivera and Hurney need to 100% focus on the D next offseason, bringing in vet. DB talent. I'm over waiting on 3rd round picks (Godfrey, etc) to "come around"... I mean let's face it Godfrey and Martin are just average at best. Not rocket science.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but I just don't see how one of the worst defenses in the NFL is all of a sudden going to turn on a switch. Yes Beason is coming back along with Ron Edwards and (maybe TD) but they can't carry this defense. Beason, Kuechly, Gamble, Anderson, Johnson, those are the only sure things on that D...too many holes...too many question marks...not enough talent....not enough depth... plain and simple.

Hopefully this reloaded Offense can just stay on the field and carry the team into the playoffs, where anything can happen at that point.

(this has nothing to do with our performance in our first preseason game)

/rant and GO PANTHERS!!!!

Yep.... D is looking as solid as a sponge

#40 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

SUPPORTER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

Keep in mind that we had the # 1 ranked defense in the 2010 preseason, then the real games started...

My point is that you really can't use preseason games to judge how a particular unit will perform during the regular season, good or bad... it's really only useful to judge individual performances, that's the way the coaches look at it.

#41 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

Keep in mind that we had the # 1 ranked defense in the 2010 preseason, then the real games started...

My point is that you really can't use preseason games to judge how a particular unit will perform during the regular season, good or bad... it's really only useful to judge individual performances, that's the way the coaches look at it.

No, no, no, no no. You've got it all wrong.

It's obvious Ron doesn't have a clue. McDermott is out of his league. Cam has forgotten how to look at his 2nd and 3rd options. Beason has obviously slowed down. And don't get me started on Hurney.

We're doomed, I tell ya, doomed.

#42 AceMan

AceMan

Huddle Vet

HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'm with Rivera...really disappointed that no one is stepping up on this team. Hoping for a few things though

-Lake Norman and Hogan are available for the next preseason game.

-More looks at Murphy, Gettis, or Pilares at #3. Less Tutu

-Improvement on STs

-More accountability for horrible play (Clausen, Godfrey, Tolbert). Clausen should be off the team if he plays like this past preseaason game. Tolbert has to do better. Godfrey should be fighting for his job, along with S. Martin. Let Nelson get some of his reps if he keeps screwing up in coverage.)

#43 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

How is it gonna be top 15? We tackle like pop Warner 5 year olds, No pressure at all.

You really can't blame tackling at this point, guys are getting used to tackling again.

#44 beastson

beastson

Philly Cheese Steak

HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

Tbh, yall are overreacting a lil bit just off the first game

#45 Woodcookedbbq

Woodcookedbbq

Vinegar Based

HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

It's hard to say at what level Beason will be at. Seems like every time he's ready to go, another injury springs up on him.

#46 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

SUPPORTER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:55 PM

Beason was a Top 3 LB in the league his first three seasons... Now he's Top 10... He's still a solid asset to any team in the NFL... but he has shown signs of degression in the past 2 seasons (one being a lack luster (for Beason standards) season, the other being a season taken away by injury)

Beason isn't a former shell of himself by anymeans... but he has slipped off the ladder a bit with the likes of Patrick Willis and Clay Matthews...

I know this has already been stated time and time again but 1) beason didn't play last year and 2) the year before that he changed positions to fill the void left by TD

You can not use that year to judge Beasons production value. It's completely asinine.

#47 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

SUPPORTER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:58 PM

No significant changes made in the off-season, besides Kuechly, who looks like a star in the making, but the lack of talent at the DT and DB positions are going to ultimately hinder our chances at winning the big prize...and I could even see it holding us down to a 7-9/8-8 season...

Now the ST coverage? I don't even want to get into that.

But I really see a long season of runs up the middle and deep passes in the 4th quarter that will hold this Panther team back.

Rivera and Hurney need to 100% focus on the D next offseason, bringing in vet. DB talent. I'm over waiting on 3rd round picks (Godfrey, etc) to "come around"... I mean let's face it Godfrey and Martin are just average at best. Not rocket science.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but I just don't see how one of the worst defenses in the NFL is all of a sudden going to turn on a switch. Yes Beason is coming back along with Ron Edwards and (maybe TD) but they can't carry this defense. Beason, Kuechly, Gamble, Anderson, Johnson, those are the only sure things on that D...too many holes...too many question marks...not enough talent....not enough depth... plain and simple.

Hopefully this reloaded Offense can just stay on the field and carry the team into the playoffs, where anything can happen at that point.

(this has nothing to do with our performance in our first preseason game)

/rant and GO PANTHERS!!!!

posts like.this in preseason just shows ya are over reacting, as are most other fans.

#48 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:28 AM

Even if we could stuff 90% of the runs with Beason, Edwards, Luke, Davis, Anderson... We couldn't stop 90% of the passes with the DB's we have.....