• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

Looking back at the play I see good news and bad news....

Posted Image

The good news, that play was not Kuechly's to make, but he made it anyways. His job was to contain the outside and keep it inside, which he did. Most other NFL LBs are done at that point, but Luke keeps it in gear and makes the play in the middle. wow.

The bad news. Neblett and Anderson. It was on them to make the play. WIth 62 pulling and heading upfield it is up to Neblett to close that hole quickly, which he didn't. Neblett then is just trying to make the tackle from behind but doesn't. 74 takes on James Anderson and completely takes him out of the play. If not for Luke, that play goes for a possible TD.

#2 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

Actually since the Linebackers shifted and the SS(Godfrey) was down in the box, it looked to me like it was aNeblett and Godfrey who should've made the play.

Another thing that should be noted is that Foster did a good job of cutting the play back inside.

#3 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

A case can be made for Godfrey also, but I have more sympathy for a little guy like that shedding blockers. Anderson should have been there.

#4 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

The more and more I look at the photos, I wonder if it was Phillips who should've made the play. He was the only LB that wasn't being blocked.

The gap he was assigned to shoot was collapse by Edwards, and Foster bounced it back inside, so it seems as if Phillips should have done a better job of predicting the cut back.

I guess in a John Fox defense he would've been in the wrong, but in this Rivera defense, and with them preaching run fits, he still did his job, but sometimes doing your job isn't enough.

#5 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,650 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

I think u guys analyzed this more than the coaches did.

#6 Riverboat Ron

Riverboat Ron

The Gambler

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

Wouldn't have been a problem if Hurney would just sign us a 700lbs 6'9" DT that can bench 900 and run a 3.7 40.

#7 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

We're going to need to bring in more help at DT before the season starts or we can get used to seeing stuff like this on a regular basis.

#8 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,056 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

I think u guys analyzed this more than the coaches did.

Probably not really, but I have never seen such a detailed analysis of one play in the Huddle.

WTF, guys? That's why we drafted Luke. He is going to be a beast.

#9 Brandon

Brandon

Everything and Nothing

• HUDDLER
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

The problem with this view is that you can't really tell what position these guys were in, you'd need the coach's tape to figure out who was out of position.

#10 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:18 PM

People need to get out more! matter of fact was we got the ball back and that's the only thing that matters no need to over analyze this that's for the coaches to do.

#11 KSpan

KSpan

Bow-chicka-wow-wow!

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,487 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

On a zone run like that, typically you want your play-side flowing and stringing it out to either force the runner to cut up into the defense or allow the backside pursuit to run him down. The play-side lineman did a good job of holding the line amd forcing the cutback, meaning this was Neblett and/or Godfrey's (the primary backside pursuit) play to make. Godfrey took a horrible angle - should have come upfield a bit before going flat to the line of scrimmage, which in theory would have put him smack in that cutback lane.

#12 Rip Saw

Rip Saw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

got any other cheerleader pics zod?

#13 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

Wouldn't have been a problem if Hurney would just sign us a 700lbs 6'9" DT that can bench 900 and run a 3.7 40.

Two words: Emanuel Yarbrough.
Posted Image

#14 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

Suddenly have a hankering for chocolate flap jacks

#15 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,570 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:52 AM

I bought the preseason package and watched the play again and here is what I saw from each players perspective (that was visible)

1. Charles Johnson did a good job getting off his block and eliminating the chance for a cutback. (Good)
2. Neblett avoids the blocker and has the chance to stop Foster for a two yard gain but Foster runs through the arm tackle. (Awful)
3. Ron Edwards wasn't able to get off his block (possible holding penalty there), any who, he was taken out of the play by his blocker and a teammate. (Bad)
4. Greg Hardy did well and eliminated the possibility of Foster having a chance to get to the outside (if the play was ran that way). (Good)
5. Jason Phillips looked like he came on a blitz which completely took himself and Ron Edwards out of the play because they got tangled. (Bad)
6. Luke Kuechly was in the right place at the start of the play and once he realized the play was a run and wasn't coming to the outside he got off his block, ran down Foster, and made the play. (Great)
7. James Anderson just got absolutely mauled by a run blocker, due to Neblett not being able to take down Foster, Anderson was the next line of defense but whoever blocked Anderson did a fantastic job. (Awful)
8. Charles Godfrey just got absolutely blasted as well, he was the third line of defense behind Neblett and Anderson and if it wasn't for Kuechly, this, Foster would have gotten a first down. (Awful)
9-11: Chris Gamble, Captain Munnerlyn, and Sherrod Martin all stuck with their marks until they realized it was run, they collapsed on the run once they realized it the play was run and would have stopped Foster after a 10 yard run if Kuechly didn't make the play. Gamble, Munnerlyn, and Martin were all in the right place and all three of them had a shot at recovering the fumble, the ball just happened to bounce to Martin. (Gamble, Munnerlyn: Good... Martin: Great)

In Summary...

Great: Kuechly, Martin
Good: Johnson, Hardy, Gamble, Munnerlyn
Bad: Phillips, Edwards
Awful: Neblett, Anderson, Godfrey

There ya go.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carolina panthers, luke kuechly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com