Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:39 PM
The good news, that play was not Kuechly's to make, but he made it anyways. His job was to contain the outside and keep it inside, which he did. Most other NFL LBs are done at that point, but Luke keeps it in gear and makes the play in the middle. wow.
The bad news. Neblett and Anderson. It was on them to make the play. WIth 62 pulling and heading upfield it is up to Neblett to close that hole quickly, which he didn't. Neblett then is just trying to make the tackle from behind but doesn't. 74 takes on James Anderson and completely takes him out of the play. If not for Luke, that play goes for a possible TD.
Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:49 PM
Another thing that should be noted is that Foster did a good job of cutting the play back inside.
Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:51 PM
Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:59 PM
The gap he was assigned to shoot was collapse by Edwards, and Foster bounced it back inside, so it seems as if Phillips should have done a better job of predicting the cut back.
I guess in a John Fox defense he would've been in the wrong, but in this Rivera defense, and with them preaching run fits, he still did his job, but sometimes doing your job isn't enough.
Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:00 PM
Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:04 PM
Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:04 PM
Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:08 PM
I think u guys analyzed this more than the coaches did.
Probably not really, but I have never seen such a detailed analysis of one play in the Huddle.
WTF, guys? That's why we drafted Luke. He is going to be a beast.
Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:13 PM
Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:18 PM
Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:30 PM
Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:17 PM
Wouldn't have been a problem if Hurney would just sign us a 700lbs 6'9" DT that can bench 900 and run a 3.7 40.
Two words: Emanuel Yarbrough.
Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:52 AM
1. Charles Johnson did a good job getting off his block and eliminating the chance for a cutback. (Good)
2. Neblett avoids the blocker and has the chance to stop Foster for a two yard gain but Foster runs through the arm tackle. (Awful)
3. Ron Edwards wasn't able to get off his block (possible holding penalty there), any who, he was taken out of the play by his blocker and a teammate. (Bad)
4. Greg Hardy did well and eliminated the possibility of Foster having a chance to get to the outside (if the play was ran that way). (Good)
5. Jason Phillips looked like he came on a blitz which completely took himself and Ron Edwards out of the play because they got tangled. (Bad)
6. Luke Kuechly was in the right place at the start of the play and once he realized the play was a run and wasn't coming to the outside he got off his block, ran down Foster, and made the play. (Great)
7. James Anderson just got absolutely mauled by a run blocker, due to Neblett not being able to take down Foster, Anderson was the next line of defense but whoever blocked Anderson did a fantastic job. (Awful)
8. Charles Godfrey just got absolutely blasted as well, he was the third line of defense behind Neblett and Anderson and if it wasn't for Kuechly, this, Foster would have gotten a first down. (Awful)
9-11: Chris Gamble, Captain Munnerlyn, and Sherrod Martin all stuck with their marks until they realized it was run, they collapsed on the run once they realized it the play was run and would have stopped Foster after a 10 yard run if Kuechly didn't make the play. Gamble, Munnerlyn, and Martin were all in the right place and all three of them had a shot at recovering the fumble, the ball just happened to bounce to Martin. (Gamble, Munnerlyn: Good... Martin: Great)
Great: Kuechly, Martin
Good: Johnson, Hardy, Gamble, Munnerlyn
Bad: Phillips, Edwards
Awful: Neblett, Anderson, Godfrey
There ya go.