Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking at the Luke Kuechly forced fumble

61 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Looking back at the play I see good news and bad news....

[img]http://igophotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-2brvJVR/0/O/i-2brvJVR.jpg[/img]

The good news, that play was not Kuechly's to make, but he made it anyways. His job was to contain the outside and keep it inside, which he did. Most other NFL LBs are done at that point, but Luke keeps it in gear and makes the play in the middle. wow.

The bad news. Neblett and Anderson. It was on them to make the play. WIth 62 pulling and heading upfield it is up to Neblett to close that hole quickly, which he didn't. Neblett then is just trying to make the tackle from behind but doesn't. 74 takes on James Anderson and completely takes him out of the play. If not for Luke, that play goes for a possible TD.
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Actually since the Linebackers shifted and the SS(Godfrey) was down in the box, it looked to me like it was aNeblett and Godfrey who should've made the play.

Another thing that should be noted is that Foster did a good job of cutting the play back inside.

Posted · Report post

A case can be made for Godfrey also, but I have more sympathy for a little guy like that shedding blockers. Anderson should have been there.

Posted · Report post

The more and more I look at the photos, I wonder if it was Phillips who should've made the play. He was the only LB that wasn't being blocked.

The gap he was assigned to shoot was collapse by Edwards, and Foster bounced it back inside, so it seems as if Phillips should have done a better job of predicting the cut back.

I guess in a John Fox defense he would've been in the wrong, but in this Rivera defense, and with them preaching run fits, he still did his job, but sometimes doing your job isn't enough.

Posted · Report post

I think u guys analyzed this more than the coaches did.

Posted · Report post

Wouldn't have been a problem if Hurney would just sign us a 700lbs 6'9" DT that can bench 900 and run a 3.7 40.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

We're going to need to bring in more help at DT before the season starts or we can get used to seeing stuff like this on a regular basis.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='chknwing' timestamp='1344808829' post='1857037']
I think u guys analyzed this more than the coaches did.
[/quote]

Probably not really, but I have never seen such a detailed analysis of one play in the Huddle.

WTF, guys? That's why we drafted Luke. He is going to be a beast.

Posted · Report post

The problem with this view is that you can't really tell what position these guys were in, you'd need the coach's tape to figure out who was out of position.

Posted · Report post

People need to get out more! matter of fact was we got the ball back and that's the only thing that matters no need to over analyze this that's for the coaches to do.

Posted · Report post

On a zone run like that, typically you want your play-side flowing and stringing it out to either force the runner to cut up into the defense or allow the backside pursuit to run him down. The play-side lineman did a good job of holding the line amd forcing the cutback, meaning this was Neblett and/or Godfrey's (the primary backside pursuit) play to make. Godfrey took a horrible angle - should have come upfield a bit before going flat to the line of scrimmage, which in theory would have put him smack in that cutback lane.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

got any other cheerleader pics zod?