Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pete Prisco weighs in on Stews signing.

139 posts in this topic

Posted

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19779678/panthers-new-deal-for-stewart-doesnt-make-sense-in-todays-nfl

Stewart is entering his fifth season, but he has just 13 career starts. He had 761 yards in 2011, but averaged 5.4 per rush in 16 games. He did catch 47 passes out of the backfield.

Combined with Williams, the Panthers do have a nice 1-2 punch.

Nice, if it were 1996.

Aren't the Panthers trying to move away from their reputation of being a run-first team, something former coach John Fox loved?

They could have Jim Brown and O.J. Simpson in their prime in their backfield, but if Newton weren't the star of the offense it wouldn't matter.

The Giants won a Super Bowl and were last in rushing.

The Cardinals went to the Super Bowl in 2008 and they were also last. It was the same for the 2009 Colts.

New England, which lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl last February, was ranked 24th in rushing.

See a pattern? Why pay runners when the running game is being de-emphasized?

1 person likes this

Posted

Even though i love stew he is right. We should have let dwill walk and signed stew to this same deal. Hindsight is 50 50 though.

3 people like this

Posted

I have no respect for Prisco, the guy is a grade A asshole.

Posted

Because as defenses de-emphasize defending the run, we'll run it down their throat.

Posted

This will be the first and last time you ever see Kurb post a link to Prisco...Hillarious

Posted

I bet the Pats would have liked to be able to run the ball in the SB last year... LOL

Posted

Oh, and Stewart is a significant weapon in our passing game... but I wouldn't expect Prisco to know that.

Posted

post-7930-0-99323200-1344817795.jpeg

Blah blah blah yackity shmacity

1 person likes this

Posted

I bet the Pats would have liked to be able to run the ball in the SB last year... LOL

Why they would have scored more points than with Brady passing?

Posted

Kind of unfair to completely ignore the 47 catches for 413 yards last season...His role doubles in the offense. And if this is about paying two running backs. D.Will doesn't have any guarantees after this season, and that deal can be restructured for flexibility. Money isn't an issue.

Offense is about having weapons, why does it matter what kind? Stewart functions as a runner and a pass catcher.

1 person likes this