Photo
- - - - -

Pete Prisco weighs in on Stews signing.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
138 replies to this topic

#37 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

Our line was ranked 5th in run blocking and 20th in pass blocking last year but the pass blocking numbers were totally based on sacks which are going to be high because like Ben for Pittsburgh, Cam tends to hold the ball too long always thinking he can run his way out of trouble.

And what impact do you think Cam's nontraditional running had on that run blocking ranking? The running that allowed him to convert more 3rd downs than any runner in the NFL, 2nd most TDs in the NFL by any runner, and 30% of our yardage. I fully expect Cam to continue to do what he has always done......no point drafting the kid if you don't. Chud seemed to let Cam be Cam...

#38 csx

csx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

Oh, and Stewart is a significant weapon in our passing game... but I wouldn't expect Prisco to know that.

He mentioned it in his comments so I think he does know.

#39 EightyNine

EightyNine

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

I don't see why people are getting so upset about his opinion of Stewart's extension. I don't necessarily agree with him, but I definitely thought he brought up an interesting argument. I LOVE Stew and what he brings and the way he plays.

The real question is, does anyone think that investing all of this money in the RB position will hinder us from signing players that we think can improve other weaknesses on our team? (We have needed better D Linemen for awhile now...) We want to build a team that is balanced across the board... and the salary cap plays a part in how you can do that.

I also thought it was interesting how he pointed out that the powerhouses in the league the past few years (Giants, Packers, Patriots, Saints*, etc..) have ranked pretty low in the run game or have put much more emphasis on the pass than the run. Its a good point.

#40 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

So if this offense is not about double trouble then why did we just sign Stewart yesterday instead of trading him or letting him leave in free agency.

And there were lots of guys we could have drafted if we didn't want a big nasty run blocking guard. Hurney has repeatedly said he likes that Silatolu is nasty and brings an aggressive and tough attitude to the position. Plus Rivera has said he wants the offense to be aggressive and dictate to the defense not the other way around.

That sounds smashmouthed to me. I think you are wrong again.

Why did Hurney help make the Clev backup QB the hight paid QB in the NFL in 2010? Why did Hurney attempt to make Peppers coming off a 2 sack season and clearly not wanting to be here the highest paid defender in the NFL? I don't know why Hurney does what he does...but I assume you do.

and no, the offense wasn't about Double Trouble last year. It was about Cam, the future of our franchise.....yet now we are going to take two steps back? I mean the first year of Williams' big contract he gained 79 more yards than the 2007 season you were laughing at and how little production he had in that other thread.

Nothing Chud has done suggests going back to Foxball logic. The Cam Newton era has begun.....I, for one, love it.

#41 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

And what impact do you think Cam's nontraditional running had on that run blocking ranking? The running that allowed him to convert more 3rd downs than any runner in the NFL, 2nd most TDs in the NFL by any runner, and 30% of our yardage. I fully expect Cam to continue to do what he has always done......no point drafting the kid if you don't. Chud seemed to let Cam be Cam...

On run blocking it was positive but on pass blocking it was a mixed bag. His ability to evade the rush likely avoided a number of sacks but he also ran round and held the ball sometimes for forever. If you look at the 2 sacks he took last night, one was due to a blitz that wasn't picked up but the other was due to him holding onto the ball too long.

But I am the one saying we need to run and use double trouble and do what works. You are the one wanting to dismantle the run game and get rid of the run blockers in favor of pass blockers. Or is this another flip flop??

#42 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

On run blocking it was positive but on pass blocking it was a mixed bag. His ability to evade the rush likely avoided a number of sacks but he also ran round and held the ball sometimes for forever. If you look at the 2 sacks he took last night, one was due to a blitz that wasn't picked up but the other was due to him holding onto the ball too long.

But I am the one saying we need to run and use double trouble and do what works. You are the one wanting to dismantle the run game and get rid of the run blockers in favor or pass blockers. Or is this another flip flop??

How have I suggested we dismantle our run game? by suggesting Newton and half Double Trouble gives us the potential to have the best rushing attack in the NFL?

I have no issues with the OL outside of Bell. They are a good mix. Bell is a run blocking RT. Doesnt have the athletic ability IMO to handle speed on the outside. Our Ts need to be more than run blockers in our new scheme. Our rookie was nasty in the run game in college but has the talent to be more that. I have several times gone on record that this draft class has me more excited than any collective one I can recall.

#43 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

Yes a better running game would help the Giants, Patriots, Packers, Lions duh! Up until the point where you have to pay for it costing other areas of your team to be weak duh!

#44 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:24 PM

anyone who can't see the reasoning behind developing a strong running game doesn't know too much about football...

but beside those reasons (holding leads, controlling clock, wearing down defense, allowing own D to rest, protecting the ball, etc) people forget that rushing yards are still YARDS. we racked up 2400ish rushing yards last year and our run game was completely absent at the beginning of the season. if we consistently run the ball as effectively as we did in the second half of last year we are going to be looking at over 3k yards on the ground. if newton can then even be close to the 4k mark again we are probably the most potent offense in the NFL.

#45 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

pete prisco is a jackass

#46 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

Yes a better running game would help the Giants, Patriots, Packers, Lions duh! Up until the point where you have to pay for it costing other areas of your team to be weak duh!

im sorry but which mega star FAs did you want to spend that cash on in lieu of signing dlo/stu/tolbert?

no great DTs were on the market.
For corner there was brandon carr (grimes got resigned before he was on the market), but he got grossly overpaid.
Vincent Jackson? Considering chud and shula both worked with him if they thought he was that great they would have at least talked to him.

You act like the giants don't stack their dline so much that it hurts other area's of their team. News flash: the rest of their defense is god awful. They are a 1 dimensional defense thats built to devour high powered passing attacks. This is why they lose 2x to a crappy washington redskins team, this is why the niners gave them such a tough time in the playoffs, and this is why they go 9-7 in the regular season. they are literally a defense thats made to counter the most popular offense that playoff teams generally run.

and guess what, if we run into them come playoff time, they aren't going to get a free ride just because they can pull cam's arm out of the game.

#47 panther4life

panther4life

HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

Yeah, they made the offense all about Newton last year....which is what I love. Which a reasonable person could assume it will be again this year. Why wouldn't the offense be built around and through the guy with a ceiling potentially higher than any QB in NFL history. I wouldn't be the knucklehead asking Chud if he was going to run the wishbone 80 times this year bc I think it would be unstoppable and that we should unlike last year focus on run, run, run the RBs.

I would assume though that Rivera/Chud dont have much to assume with the contracts. Hurney has been overpaying guys long before they arrived.

You guys are predicting things that contradict what we saw last year....not me.

I have no clue what you are rambling about...

I have never said we are going to use Cam less and rely more on Stewart/Williams....I do however understand how Hurney's philosophy of building a roster is through the draft and rewarding those with performance based contracts. The big money goes to our own homegrown talent and the other pieces are filled through free agency and he does all this based off of the head coaches preferences.
I like the fact that we have an offense can attack you via the air or the ground and dictate how defenses play us(sound familiar?)

I forgive Hurney for anything done during the Fox era and you should too. But after 1 year of being paired with Rivera they have totally revamped the offense and have not lost any weapons at all, when at 1 point it looked like we could have lost all of them. We literally only had 3 legit offensive threats the day Rivera signed on (Smith,Williams, and Stewart). We were not far from losing Williams(free agent) and Smith (highly disgruntled). Now we have one of the most stacked offenses in the league.

We really are not that far away on defense either. We have an awesome #1 corner and a damn good pass rusher in Johnson(the first 2 cornerstones in any legit D in my opinion). Our LB core is stacked.

Too early to know what we have in our young DT group(I personally like what I see out of Neblett and Fua). Edwards is just a temporary solid fill in.

I was not a big fan of Hardy last year and most of the board crucified me for it, granted I am pulling for him and think the mystery surrounding him will be solved this year for better or worse.

That leaves # 2 corner and the safety positions.I blame half part of the safeties problems on Ron Meeks and no support in front of them last year with rookie DT'S starting, Beason and Davis out. Also Captain did not do Martin any favors or vice versa for that matter.

We may have the answer to most of our defensive position shortcomings already on the roster, with the addition of Nakumara, Josh Norman and Frank Alexander or just maybe Hardy and Martin step it up.

So next year whatever defensive decencies we have left we should be able to address next offseason. Should be rather simple to do since our Core players on both sides of the ball are locked up for the 4-5 years.

#48 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

Cowherd had the same opinion on running vs. passing last week saying that the league is giving owners and GMs a "tax break" by setting up the rule book as it is and dummies like Rex Ryan just choose to ignore it. He did not mention the Panthers in the 30 seconds I managed to listen to hi without laughing my ass off at his stupidity but this line of thinking seems to be pretty standard among the parrots.