Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNC Posts Julius Peppers Transcript

112 posts in this topic

Posted

You guys want to talk about Jim Valvano? Chris Washburn?

Diddy how dare you mention State's favorite son (and convicted cheater) the beloved Jimmy V.

The younger State fans probably didn't even know who Jimmy V was. The older ones, like some of the posters in this thread, are probably still butthurt about this and just want to stick it to UNC because they still have some vendetta about John Swofford. #getoverit

Posted

As a Duke fan with 4 cousin's who got or are in the process of getting degrees from UNC, I don't think any less of them or their education. Its no student's fault that the people ran this whole fraud ring did what they did. Only way I would think less of a UNC student's degree is if they had a degree in the disputed major(AFAM).

And this scandal might have more to do with Roy than you think.

http://www.cbssports...r-the-reckoning

LOL Duke fans now using expert troll Greg Doyel as a reputable source. That's the beauty of journalists such as himself, Florio, and of course Prisco. Their opinions are easily manipulated.

Oh, and congrats pack nation. You've now successfully teamed up with fans of a team that considers 3 wins a good football season. An enemy of my enemy is my friend, eh?

I saw nothing in that article but a bunch of flowery language that only an aloof boob would assert as some sort of damning evidence against a coach with an exemplary track record such as Coach Williams.

Posted

By now I shouldn't be surprised when UNC fans can't accept the truth when it is staring them in the face. The records from the inquiry showed that there were basketball players were in said classes.

Posted

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell WRAL News that UNC leaders have asked former Gov. Jim Martin to lead an investigation into academic improprieties at the University of North Carolina.

Posted

SMH...

Keep fapping in your Steve & Barry's limited NC State leather jackets PackPride!

Posted

http://www.wral.com/news/education/story/11436603/

Chapel Hill, N.C. — Leaders at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill have asked former Gov. Jim Martin to lead an investigation into academic improprieties at the school. Martin will coordinate with an outside consulting group and will report his findings to the UNC Board of Governors.

The academic scandal was sparked last summer when, in attempt to get reinstated to the team, lawyers for football player Michael McAdoo included an assignment for a class in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies among their court filings. A review of that paper showed that it borrowed heavily from another source.

Since that time, reports have questioned the practices of the department and threatened to draw in the wider university.

Chancellor Holden Thorp and others have maintained that any improprieties ended with the retirement of former department chairman Julius Nyang’oro and staffer Deborah Crowder.

In May, an internal UNC investigation revealed unauthorized grades, forged signatures and other irregularities in 54 courses in that department. Martin is tasked with looking beyond the scope of that report for any other irregularities.

A faculty subcommittee report in July noted that advisers in the Academic Support Program for Student Athletes directed athletes to classes in the African and Afro-American Studies Department, but still pinned the blame only on Nyang'Oro and Crowder.

A WRAL News investigation into independent study courses offered through the Af-Am department found lots of athletes enrolled and earning sometimes double the number of credits offered by other departments for the same type of course.

"We are determined to make sure that our internal controls are such that irregularities of the past will not recur," Thorp wrote in a letter to trustees, faculty and staff Thursday.

After Martin's report, the university will retain another task force to provide analysis of and recommendations for the relationship between athletics and academics at UNC. "Our goal is to engage the entire campus community in a meaningful discussion and analysis of the role of athletics in the life of the university," Thorp wrote.

Much ado about nothing.

Even with Peppers transcript, all it shows is that he, like any other athlete who planned on going pro, didn't care about his academics. His transcript doesn't mean anything to the academics of the university, but rather, it speaks to the football program looking out for their own. And that brings us back to square one... Who cares?

Posted

So unc alum and fan Jim Martin is leading the independent investigation?

Yeah, those banners in the Smith Center are coming down real quick.

HOW SWEET IT IS

Posted

When did Jim martin go to unc?

Posted

Am I the only one here old enough to remember the State basketball scandal under Valvano in the 80's? Pot meet kettle.

1 person likes this

Posted

I think it's pathetic that State fans keep trying to dig this stuff up. Don't be mad because your basketball team has sucked since, well, Valvano. So, scraping and clawing to stay on top of UNC in football isn't going to help your overall cause. It truly is pathetic. I grew up a fan of players... I actually hated UNC as a kid because everyone and their mom loved them. I ended up going there for my education and it IS a prestigious public university. It is considered a 'public ivy.' What a few athletes did, most, if not all of whom, had no aspirations of applying their education in life after they left the school does not automatically cast the same dark shadow on the vast majority of the student body.

Ask any non-athletes at UNC what kind of experience it was. Ask any non-revenue generating student athlete what their experience was like. The football players who were "tutored" through their university experience are by far the exception, not the norm.

I'm so serious man... I've never seen so much childish and immature potshotting from people who claim to be adults over something they have no hand in anyway... It's just stupid. Grow up. Athletes cheated... SHOCKING! I'm sure State has never had any violations and have been clean throughout their entire history of student athletics.

When it comes down to it, I'm a fan of all the local teams. In fact, I pulled for State growing up more than the other two big schools... But, I'm tired of having my school trashed by lifeless idiots and all of this immaturity. There was some dirt going on, people paid for it, people were fired. Good. Let's move on.

Exactly.

To State fans, I have just one thing to say......Chris Washburn.

Dumbest person on earth and he was academically eligible at NCSU....no cheating going on there my ass.

1 person likes this

Posted

Am I the only one old here old enough to remember the State basketball scandal under Valvano in the 80's? Pot meet kettle.

There was a scandal and we had to forfeit postseason play and gave up scholarships. We paid the price...

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-12-13/sports/sp-171_1_north-carolina-state

If Selling shoes and tickets = lack of institutional control

Then they should shut down UNC athletics altogether

You're up UNC

Posted

Chris Washburn was an idiot, yeah. But UNC hasn't exactly allowed in only scholars. Hakeem Nicks being my favorite recent example who couldn't have gotten into community college on his own.

Every school has easier classes that athletes take. No denying that. Hell, I breathed a sigh of relief when David Amerson walked in one of my classes last Thursday.

But UNC may have/did have classes set up solely to keep athletes eligible or bump GPAs. If you can't see the difference in an easy class that all students know about and classes set up for athletes by a department...I can't help you.

As for bringing up State's past violations...congrats? They were wrong, they served their penalty. Now UNC can do the same and put it behind them as well.