• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#31 JTL1230

JTL1230

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

If this turns out to be true (which at this point is a big if, but I will say it certainly looks real and resembles the student portal I used from 2003-2007) I want basically every senior person at UNC fired including replacing the entire Board. They are bringing embarrassment to what is truly a great school and certainly got me into a position I wouldn't have gotten to with any other school in the state (minus maybe Duke).

#32 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

They sell carolina gear at Wal-Mart? Nice. No more $70 golf shirts for Mr.Touchdown.

The only thing about this that's embarrassing is I always have some fat drunk redneck get in my face talking about this. Go pull for the gamecocks and brush your teeth while you're at it. Like they even went to college. Or some Duke fan talking sh1t. Duke fans talking sh1t about football - that's rich. Or some yankee who would probably be pulling for Rutgers or BC if they hadn't moved down here 19 years ago. State fans have to strike while the iron is hot. Basketball season will be here before we know it.

Please note: "thee" should only be used in a sentence if you live in England during the 1800s.
Maybe your degree is from a community college?

Should be there's, not thee's. Was typing on an iPad. Basketball season can't be coming too soon, it usually starts about 3 weeks after the annual beating of UNC in football, and that hasn't happened yet. Congrats on that expensive golf shirt though, you must be the very classiest of the bandwagoners.

#33 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

If this turns out to be true (which at this point is a big if, but I will say it certainly looks real and resembles the student portal I used from 2003-2007) I want basically every senior person at UNC fired including replacing the entire Board. They are bringing embarrassment to what is truly a great school and certainly got me into a position I wouldn't have gotten to with any other school in the state (minus maybe Duke).

^ The difference between alums and bandwagoners. I feel for you, if this stuff came out about State I'd be pissed. I've had classes with athletes, they're not all Rhodes scholars by any means but at our school they go to class and do the work if they want to pass. I want to see us win but I wouldn't give up our integrity to do it.

#34 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,825 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

First it was just an example of a student then some pack pride guy connected the dots and unc put peps name on it

#35 JTL1230

JTL1230

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

^ The difference between alums and bandwagoners. I feel for you, if this stuff came out about State I'd be pissed. I've had classes with athletes, they're not all Rhodes scholars by any means but at our school they go to class and do the work if they want to pass. I want to see us win but I wouldn't give up our integrity to do it.

Felton was in a lecture with me in 2004 I think...He usually came. I mean, he was probably there just as much as I was. Now that is not to say what grade he got, but generally speaking I think they go to class. Now I will say you see basketball players walking around campus a hell of a lot more than you do football players but other than DL/OL its difficult to recognize them.

#36 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

Not I. I've heard from UNC grads for too long about how much more valuable/special/important they are just because they went to UNC.

I too have made more connections and had more opportunities due to my NC State degree that I wouldn't have had otherwise if I went to any other school in the state. The only difference between me, and most other State grads that I know, is that we do not typically go around trumpeting how many more doors my degree has opened and how much more valuable it is than every other school in the state.

#37 tarheelpride

tarheelpride

Logic is optional

• HUDDLER
  • 2,918 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NC

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

I'm not thrilled by any of this, mainly because I don't want my degree devalued in any shape, form, or fashion. I feel for some of my friends who actually have AFAM degrees, but I haven't heard them say much about the scandal. I had some AFAM classes, but not with any of the professors that seemed shady. They were easy enough, mostly reading and class participation. Athletes could have passed those classes on their own, without any special considerations (the whole problem with the scandal).

Its definitely a black eye to the university, and yes most of the students (including me) don't like the fact we keep plummeting in the academic ratings side. But we all just want to move on. That's all. Just move on, deal with the consequences, and move on with our education and lives.

#38 JTL1230

JTL1230

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

Not I. I've heard from UNC grads for too long about how much more valuable/special/important they are just because they went to UNC.

I too have made more connections and had more opportunities due to my NC State degree that I wouldn't have had otherwise if I went to any other school in the state. The only difference between me, and most other State grads that I know, is that we do not typically go around trumpeting how many more doors my degree has opened and how much more valuable it is than every other school in the state.

edit...not worth it...

#39 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,781 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:20 AM

I think it's pathetic that State fans keep trying to dig this stuff up. Don't be mad because your basketball team has sucked since, well, Valvano. So, scraping and clawing to stay on top of UNC in football isn't going to help your overall cause. It truly is pathetic. I grew up a fan of players... I actually hated UNC as a kid because everyone and their mom loved them. I ended up going there for my education and it IS a prestigious public university. It is considered a 'public ivy.' What a few athletes did, most, if not all of whom, had no aspirations of applying their education in life after they left the school does not automatically cast the same dark shadow on the vast majority of the student body.

Ask any non-athletes at UNC what kind of experience it was. Ask any non-revenue generating student athlete what their experience was like. The football players who were "tutored" through their university experience are by far the exception, not the norm.

I'm so serious man... I've never seen so much childish and immature potshotting from people who claim to be adults over something they have no hand in anyway... It's just stupid. Grow up. Athletes cheated... SHOCKING! I'm sure State has never had any violations and have been clean throughout their entire history of student athletics.

When it comes down to it, I'm a fan of all the local teams. In fact, I pulled for State growing up more than the other two big schools... But, I'm tired of having my school trashed by lifeless idiots and all of this immaturity. There was some dirt going on, people paid for it, people were fired. Good. Let's move on.

#40 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,597 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

"Ivys" don't sell their souls and they hold academics to a higher standard. If anything this proves how unIvy UNC really is

#41 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:05 AM

I'm sure every school in this country have had athletes (and non-athletes for that matter) that have cheated.

I'm sure very few schools have had a school wide, university backed system in place to push athletes through school with the sole purpose of keeping them eligible.

#42 JTL1230

JTL1230

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

"Ivys" don't sell their souls and they hold academics to a higher standard. If anything this proves how unIvy UNC really is

I wouldn't compare UNC to some Ivys, but it is certainly on a tier with Michigan, UCLA, UVA etc.

Actually I'd say the average student probably does better at an Ivy and it has nothing to do with intelligence. In retrospect from a bunch of my Ivy buddies those schools do a MUCH better job at counseling incoming freshmen. Basically, your course load for the first year, maybe 2 is totally mandatory and predetermined. I took 17 hours of god knows what my first semester at Chapel Hill and started in a hole because of it. That never happens in a more structured setting.

Columbia tops you out at 12 hours the first semester I think.

#43 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 10,825 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

Stop trying to expose my school for academic fraud!

#44 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

I think it's pathetic that State fans keep trying to dig this stuff up. Don't be mad because your basketball team has sucked since, well, Valvano. So, scraping and clawing to stay on top of UNC in football isn't going to help your overall cause. It truly is pathetic. I grew up a fan of players... I actually hated UNC as a kid because everyone and their mom loved them. I ended up going there for my education and it IS a prestigious public university. It is considered a 'public ivy.' What a few athletes did, most, if not all of whom, had no aspirations of applying their education in life after they left the school does not automatically cast the same dark shadow on the vast majority of the student body.

Ask any non-athletes at UNC what kind of experience it was. Ask any non-revenue generating student athlete what their experience was like. The football players who were "tutored" through their university experience are by far the exception, not the norm.

I'm so serious man... I've never seen so much childish and immature potshotting from people who claim to be adults over something they have no hand in anyway... It's just stupid. Grow up. Athletes cheated... SHOCKING! I'm sure State has never had any violations and have been clean throughout their entire history of student athletics.

When it comes down to it, I'm a fan of all the local teams. In fact, I pulled for State growing up more than the other two big schools... But, I'm tired of having my school trashed by lifeless idiots and all of this immaturity. There was some dirt going on, people paid for it, people were fired. Good. Let's move on.

Please. Don't act like UNC fans wouldn't do the exact same thing if evidence of cheating by State was coming out. Anywhere in the country where two schools this big, this close to each other, who play each other in football and basketball, there's gonna be this kind of fan sniping. Alabama fans still give Auburn fans crap about Newton. Florida fans still talk about "Free Shoes University". If posters on this board had been the ones to uncover the Saints* bounty scandal, we'd be patting ourselves on the back and celebrating just like everyone at PackPride is. I'm sure it sucks to have to deal with bad news about your school's academic scandal that keeps getting dug up by your rivals after your IT professionals leave sensitive data laying around on public websites, but maybe you should be mad at the administration there for A)cheating and B)not doing a better job of covering up the cheating. But don't pretend State fans are doing anything different than what any other's schools fans would do, and don't pretend UNC fans wouldn't be gloating if they brought down the athletic department at State or Duke the same way.

#45 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

Seems to be getting pretty serious.

I wonder how much longer the NCAA can ignore it. It's not going away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.