JTL1230

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

"
North Carolina cheated and prospered, now it's time for reckoning"

http://t.co/FqTX9NqV

I am all for finding out the truth but that's a bullshit article trying to get hits. Trust me, if we made up a major with fake classes we should get what's coming to us. But to compare AFAM circa 2011 with AFAM circa 2001 is HIGHLY IRRESPONSIBLE. And not every class in the major was bogus. I am sure there are plenty of people who major in that major who are actually students. I know a guy who took a couple classes. Were they easy? Hell yes, but there are easy classes in college. Even at fuging Harvard. Today's media loves sensationalizing things. Look, he wrote a fiery oped basically with no factual context whatsoever and no proof that any of the classes on Peppers' transcript are "fake."

The only thing factual that's come out in the last 2 days that's new (and I am even giving you this one even though it hasn't been confirmed) is that Julius Peppers is likely a freaking retard who majored in AFAM.

But if you guys want to run around screaming take all the banners down thats fine with me. If they do turn out to be true then we should lose something for sure and I will for once in my life be ashamed to be a Tar Heel. But I'm still a Tar Heel Born and Tar Heel Bred.

#62 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

Please. Don't act like UNC fans wouldn't do the exact same thing if evidence of cheating by State was coming out. Anywhere in the country where two schools this big, this close to each other, who play each other in football and basketball, there's gonna be this kind of fan sniping. Alabama fans still give Auburn fans crap about Newton. Florida fans still talk about "Free Shoes University". If posters on this board had been the ones to uncover the Saints** bounty scandal, we'd be patting ourselves on the back and celebrating just like everyone at PackPride is. I'm sure it sucks to have to deal with bad news about your school's academic scandal that keeps getting dug up by your rivals after your IT professionals leave sensitive data laying around on public websites, but maybe you should be mad at the administration there for A)cheating and B)not doing a better job of covering up the cheating. But don't pretend State fans are doing anything different than what any other's schools fans would do, and don't pretend UNC fans wouldn't be gloating if they brought down the athletic department at State or Duke the same way.

lol, you know the difference? UNC fans dont actually obsess over everything State does. There is a reason the people on PackPride find stuff, its because they are constantly trying to find dirt on UNC. Comparing the two is laughable. Oh, and most UNC fans dont consider State their biggest rival (except for the older alums)

#63 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,142 posts
  • Location704

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

lol, you know the difference? UNC fans dont actually obsess over everything State does. There is a reason the people on PackPride find stuff, its because they are constantly trying to find dirt on UNC. Comparing the two is laughable. Oh, and most UNC fans dont consider State their biggest rival (except for the older alums)

This is entirely correct. I got better things to do than worry about what State/Duke are doing.

I almost got into a fight, and I don't ever go out looking for trouble ever, with one of my GF's friend retarded yankee BF who happened to be a Duke basketball fan, Irish FB, NYY, Giants fan. He got in my face rubbing my nose in it a couple days after Rivers hit that huge shot in Feb. I kept my cool and laughed it off. His whole reasoning was "WELL CAROLINA FANS WOULD BE DOING IT TO US!" - uh, maybe some stupid fans would be but don't take your oppressed emotions out on me because some redneck carolina fan made fun of you. Like I said I kept my cool because it's my GF's friend.

Oh by the way, I saw him on St. Pattys Day a few days after the big LeHigh upset and gave him a wave and a smile with my Carolina hat on. The look on that pricks face was priceless.

#64 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,737 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

I agree. Most UNC fans have a hard time considering State as a rival when they cheer for a completely different school in football

#65 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,980 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Carolina fans don't care about State?

Then why do they refer to State as MooU, Cow College, tractors and agriculture jokes, constantly reminding people near the State games that we're "not their rival", bring up the Jimmy V scandal, even in this thread, mentioning how they still out recruit us in football (how's that working out lately?).

If the shoe was on the other foot, Carolina fans would be all over this too. Imagine if Coach K got in this trouble, or TOB, who Carolina fans are positively sure badmouths the football program on the recruiting trail. But then again, admitting that as such wouldn't be part of the arrogant "Carolina Way".

Yes, all programs probably do cheat to an extent. The levels of which are what is different. Not to mention Carolina was too freaking dumb and arrogant to actually cover it up worth a crap.

Yes, nothing could come of this at all. The NCAA may not even come back to Chapel Hill. Personally, I don't care. It's just fun to watch all the State/Duke fans laugh while Carolina fans deny, deny, deny. The shoe could definitely be on the other foot a couple years from now and Carolina will do the same damn thing...so don't act like you guys won't. Carolina made this bed and instead of ignoring the giant elephant in the room, they should deal with it like the prestigious "public ivy" they are who wouldn't want their name dirtied anymore at the cost of protecting their athletic programs.

#66 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,142 posts
  • Location704

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

I agree. Most UNC fans have a hard time considering State as a rival when they cheer for a completely different school in football

Every single UNC fan I know ( and I know more duke/ecu/state fans collectively) is a die hard Heels FB fans as well. And i get the feeling the three schools I just mentioned all hate Carolina more than they like their own school.

Duke BB fans are never, ever Duke FB fans.
Ecu fans aren't even aware that they have a basketball program.

I think the amount of carolina fans in here defending the program validates your argument as ignorant and dismissive.

#67 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Carolina fans don't care about State?

Then why do they refer to State as MooU, Cow College, tractors and agriculture jokes, constantly reminding people near the State games that we're "not their rival", bring up the Jimmy V scandal, even in this thread, mentioning how they still out recruit us in football (how's that working out lately?).

If the shoe was on the other foot, Carolina fans would be all over this too. Imagine if Coach K got in this trouble, or TOB, who Carolina fans are positively sure badmouths the football program on the recruiting trail. But then again, admitting that as such wouldn't be part of the arrogant "Carolina Way".

Yes, all programs probably do cheat to an extent. The levels of which are what is different. Not to mention Carolina was too freaking dumb and arrogant to actually cover it up worth a crap.

Yes, nothing could come of this at all. The NCAA may not even come back to Chapel Hill. Personally, I don't care. It's just fun to watch all the State/Duke fans laugh while Carolina fans deny, deny, deny. The shoe could definitely be on the other foot a couple years from now and Carolina will do the same damn thing...so don't act like you guys won't. Carolina made this bed and instead of ignoring the giant elephant in the room, they should deal with it like the prestigious "public ivy" they are who wouldn't want their name dirtied anymore at the cost of protecting their athletic programs.

A couple things- I never said Carolina fans didnt care about State (we do), its just that we care more about Duke. And State fans care so much about UNC that it borders on unhealthy. We would make fun of you if the scandal was reversed, but we dont care enough to do the investigation ourselves

Also, I dont think a single UNC fan on here has denied what has happened. The AFAM dept at UNC was clearly putting together bullshit classes and the athletic dept was taking advantage of that. I would like to think the school has already started dealing with the situation (firing those involved) and that the people in charge genuinely want to clean up the mess.

As for the NCAA implications, we dont know yet. Feel free to continue making baseless assumptions though while you hate on UNC ;)

#68 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,142 posts
  • Location704

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

I don't hate State FTR. I have 2 cousins who were awarded athletic scholarships there. One for men's basketball.

A lot of my best friends went there and I've had some awesome times visiting them when I was an hour away in Greenville. I did the hillsborough hike one year and east village is an awesome bar.

State wants to take Carolina out and it's obvious this is going to be the only way they can do it.

#69 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,845 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

Welcome to Penn State of the South....just as corrupt but without the kiddie diddling!

Let's not jump to conclusions here.

There might have been kiddie diddling as well.

#70 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,980 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

^^What was McCants major? Kiddingggg

#71 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

A couple things- I never said Carolina fans didnt care about State (we do), its just that we care more about Duke. And State fans care so much about UNC that it borders on unhealthy. We would make fun of you if the scandal was reversed, but we dont care enough to do the investigation ourselves

Also, I dont think a single UNC fan on here has denied what has happened. The AFAM dept at UNC was clearly putting together bullshit classes and the athletic dept was taking advantage of that. I would like to think the school has already started dealing with the situation (firing those involved) and that the people in charge genuinely want to clean up the mess.

As for the NCAA implications, we dont know yet. Feel free to continue making baseless assumptions though while you hate on UNC ;)

But the thing is, "doing the investigations ourselves" wasn't very hard. The McAdoo paper that became public was obviously plagiarized, you could tell after reading the first few sentences. The cheating was "discovered" by PackPride because it had been ignored by the professor, the administration, etc. The test transcript was dug up by a reporter, who was doing his job, and a poster on PackPride clicked around in the same directory and stumbled on the same transcript, but with Peppers' name on it. So it's not like we're breaking into buildings and thumbing through file cabinets or something. As far as the charge that State fans(or Duke/ECU fans) hate Carolina more than we love our own teams, the two are not mutually exclusive. Like most fans of major college sports teams, we hate our rivals while also pulling for our own team. I remember lots of UNC fans gloating after Duke lost to Lehigh in the tournament last year, and lots of UNC fans giving me crap after State started 2-3 in football last year. Like I said, if this board had found the bounty evidence and sent it to Goodell, Saints* fans would be whining about how we hate them more than we love the Panthers, and we'd be laughing at them the whole time.

#72 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

But the thing is, "doing the investigations ourselves" wasn't very hard. The McAdoo paper that became public was obviously plagiarized, you could tell after reading the first few sentences. The cheating was "discovered" by PackPride because it had been ignored by the professor, the administration, etc. The test transcript was dug up by a reporter, who was doing his job, and a poster on PackPride clicked around in the same directory and stumbled on the same transcript, but with Peppers' name on it. So it's not like we're breaking into buildings and thumbing through file cabinets or something. As far as the charge that State fans(or Duke/ECU fans) hate Carolina more than we love our own teams, the two are not mutually exclusive. Like most fans of major college sports teams, we hate our rivals while also pulling for our own team. I remember lots of UNC fans gloating after Duke lost to Lehigh in the tournament last year, and lots of UNC fans giving me crap after State started 2-3 in football last year. Like I said, if this board had found the bounty evidence and sent it to Goodell, Saints** fans would be whining about how we hate them more than we love the Panthers, and we'd be laughing at them the whole time.

If you're willing to spend time poking through UNC servers looking for something which legally shouldnt be there, then youre probably willing to waste a lot of your time looking for dirt on your rival team. So yeah, you kind of proved my point.

Though the fact they found it (when its a blatant violation of FERPA) points to another problem, which is that whoever does the server/ IT stuff at UNC is either incompetent or lazy. If they get the CS dept to do it they clearly dont give a poo about everyone else because they have their own servers and their stuff is quite secure

#73 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

Well, yeah. If they cheat we want them punished. For years they've been saying the same thing to potential recruits as they've been saying to rival fans at tailgates; "we're the flagship, we do things the right way, we give kids a great education, we graduate our players." If that's all a sham then we want it exposed. And, right now, it appears to be a sham. Now, I don't want UNC destroyed as an institution or as an athletic department, and I'm not the kind of crazy fan who would poison trees or destroy property over there on the Hill. But this scandal gets at the heart of what UNC folks have always been high and mighty about, so I'm enjoying watching it unfold.

#74 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,965 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

Please. Don't act like UNC fans wouldn't do the exact same thing if evidence of cheating by State was coming out. Anywhere in the country where two schools this big, this close to each other, who play each other in football and basketball, there's gonna be this kind of fan sniping. Alabama fans still give Auburn fans crap about Newton. Florida fans still talk about "Free Shoes University". If posters on this board had been the ones to uncover the Saints** bounty scandal, we'd be patting ourselves on the back and celebrating just like everyone at PackPride is. I'm sure it sucks to have to deal with bad news about your school's academic scandal that keeps getting dug up by your rivals after your IT professionals leave sensitive data laying around on public websites, but maybe you should be mad at the administration there for A)cheating and B)not doing a better job of covering up the cheating. But don't pretend State fans are doing anything different than what any other's schools fans would do, and don't pretend UNC fans wouldn't be gloating if they brought down the athletic department at State or Duke the same way.

No doubt, you are right... There are members of every fanbase who would do relish the opportunity to do what State fans are doing now with the UNC scandal. That being said, I still find it childish and immature. Why? Maybe it is because I grew up not really pulling for one team over another. I don't get how anyone gets any joy out of that. Rivals or not, I just don't get it. Even as UNC alum, I've never gotten into that whole "Dook" crap or talking down to State fans, because at some point in my life, I was a fan of each team - because of the players. I just happened to end up attending UNC, so I kind of pull for them by default, but I've always been turned off by the amount of homerism our school has garnered - from alumni AND "wal-mart fans."

For whatever reason, I have always been much more impassioned about the pro sports so I completely get the parallel with us as Panthers fans digging up dirt on the Saints*. But, again, I still don't understand why it's so fun for people to do this towards learning institutions, and I never will. I guess it's my sense of regionalism or state pride, because as I said, I pull for Duke and State as well... When they play UNC, that's always a tough one, lol, but I have a sense of pride about each of our local teams because I feel they represent us as a state. That's why I don't get the sniping and middle-school antics going on with this whole scandal.

If UNC students/Wal-Mart fans/alumni were doing the same thing against State, it would be the exact same thing. I would think it's pathetic and I don't want to be associated with any idiot who has nothing better to do than spend hours and hays at a time trying to dig up dirt on a program that they have no involvement in. It's sad. And imo, it's to the benefit of both the ACC and our state that the big three schools stay among the elite in college athletics because it benefits our state. That's why this kind of immaturity and lack of purpose other than pure envy and hate just irks me.

#75 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,965 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

And after reading the Doyle piece, even more pathetic...

People keep saying they're reveling in this because for so long UNC alumni have looked down on others and boasted about their schools' academic prestige... Well, we have a right to, just as State, Duke, and Wake alumni do.

What is so hard to understand about athletes getting perks for being athletes and a school having a system in place to ensure they stay eligible? You truly believe in your heart that UNC is the only local school doing this? I went to school with and played JUCO basketball with a guy that went to State to play football and ended up leaving for non-academic reasons (I believe he caught a charge). I can tell you for a fact, he had no business getting accepted into State in the first place. If he would've kept himself clean off the field, he would've went through that school, played ball, got a degree and no one adverse word would've been said... He was a cool guy for the most part, but he was not the brightest crayon in the box... Far from it.

Fact is, most schools wouldn't have functioning revenue-generating athletic programs if they followed the rules. Most of the athletes wouldn't be eligible to receive a scholarship coming out of high school or play once they got to college because they are idiots. Someone pulls strings to get them by. EVERYWHERE.

This has just been taken to a whole new level of petty by State fans. I once google searched one of my former classmates/friends a year or so ago to see how he was doing in his sport... One of the first results to pop up? "PackPride." These losers took the time to create threads and posts that lasted for pages and pages speculating why this person was no longer playing baseball. BASEBALL. I REPEAT, BASEBALL! They were actually expressing how much they hoped this kid failed out of school and was no longer playing because he had to fell victim to the academic scandal with the football team. They went on to espouse the narrative that he must've been cheating before and got caught as well.

PATHETIC.

PATHETIC.

PATHETIC.

Baseball gentlemen... College baseball.

Yeah, I'm sure every fan of each school cares enough to try to dig up dirt on baseball players. Smh... It's sad that you feel you can't reach your potential as an institution unless something cataclysmic hits another local program. Seriously, your fanbase is intimidated that badly? I just can't support that type of behavior from any fan, and for college-educated adults, well, that's just plain laughable.

But, I suppose you guys will just keep digging until you feel you're content, most likely when severe sanctions are placed on UNC and you pretty much tarnish the academic integrity of our school and smudge the degrees of people like myself who worked hard to get through school and didn't receive any extra benefit or help, and now have to deal with this crap.

So have at it... But, I can't wait to see some loser dig up crap on your school. Keep thumbing your nose at what's going on over here, but I guarantee you, you're not in the clear, and it will come out.

Who did Mark Gottfried coach under again at UCLA? Harrick? And what happened with Harrick at UCLA and Georgia?

Exactly. No successful program is clean, the ones that don't get caught are better at covering it up. Gottfried didn't get the recruits he's getting by offering them the awesome opportunity of attending such a prestigious institution as THE North Carolina State University. Don't kid yourselves.

Keep digging around like 13 year old schoolgirls, but you better enjoy your run in the meantime... It's just a matter of time before your transgressions come to light.

EDIT: Please excuse any typos. It's hard to concentrate with three children running around and my wife talking to me, lol. Maybe PackPride can find out if I had a private tutor who bailed out on me for this post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com