#76 tarheelpride

tarheelpride

Logic is optional

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NC

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

But, I suppose you guys will just keep digging until you feel you're content, most likely when severe sanctions are placed on UNC and you pretty much tarnish the academic integrity of our school and smudge the degrees of people like myself who worked hard to get through school and didn't receive any extra benefit or help, and now have to deal with this crap.

This. so much this. I'd be dammed if anyone think less of my degree after I busted my ass for it because of some mess that happened with the football team. Just get this mess over with, let us serve our punishment, and move on with our lives.

#77 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

I don't think less of anyone's degree(anyone not connected to sports) because of this. But if anyone does feel that way, blame your school, not State fans. To me, this post reads as "my school cheated, how dare these rival fans expose it, now people are gonna question my degree.". Shouldn't you be mad at your own institution? Look, at State, Duke and everywhere else there are easy majors for athletes. But this wasn't about easy majors, this was about FAKE classes. Classes that never met, work that was never done, papers that were lifted entirely from 100 year old books with no citations and given passing grades. This was pure fraud. Now, you might think that when that goes on, everybody should just shut up and deal with it, but the rest of us are tired of hearing about the Carolina Way and tired of losing recruits to Roy Williams telling some kid's momma about how UNC graduates 99% of their athletes. UNC has always maintained that they were different, they were special, and they were the flagship, not like those rednecks down in Raleigh. Now all of a sudden, it's "everybody does it". Well, everybody doesn't do it. And even if they did, what happened to being above all that? What happened to the Carolina Way?

#78 tarheelpride

tarheelpride

Logic is optional

• HUDDLER
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

Yes I'm pissed at UNC this happened, but there still will be people who will think less of UNC. Not saying you do, but in general, I hate the hit on the academic reputation. I went there expecting (and got) a world class education and I don't want the scandal to reflect poorly on the education I got. I don't want it devalued but unfortunately it will get devalued, even if I have nothing to do with it.

Don't ask me about the Carolina Way. And this scandal right now looks like it has NOTHING to do with Roy. Of course, it looks bad but I just want to move on from all this. Yes, I'm mad and yes, I'm defensive over the quality and reputation of the education I received. And I'm tired of hearing about this scandal. We do ahve a lot of pride in the university and this scandal won't sway that pride. Yes, we will get disappointed, but we are all just looking to grow and move on. If that means get rid of the chancellor and restructure the athletic academic advising and reforming the AFAM department, so be it.

#79 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

Yes I'm pissed at UNC this happened, but there still will be people who will think less of UNC. Not saying you do, but in general, I hate the hit on the academic reputation. I went there expecting (and got) a world class education and I don't want the scandal to reflect poorly on the education I got. I don't want it devalued but unfortunately it will get devalued, even if I have nothing to do with it.

Don't ask me about the Carolina Way. And this scandal right now looks like it has NOTHING to do with Roy. Of course, it looks bad but I just want to move on from all this. Yes, I'm mad and yes, I'm defensive over the quality and reputation of the education I received. And I'm tired of hearing about this scandal. We do ahve a lot of pride in the university and this scandal won't sway that pride. Yes, we will get disappointed, but we are all just looking to grow and move on. If that means get rid of the chancellor and restructure the athletic academic advising and reforming the AFAM department, so be it.

As a Duke fan with 4 cousin's who got or are in the process of getting degrees from UNC, I don't think any less of them or their education. Its no student's fault that the people ran this whole fraud ring did what they did. Only way I would think less of a UNC student's degree is if they had a degree in the disputed major(AFAM).

And this scandal might have more to do with Roy than you think.

http://www.cbssports...r-the-reckoning

Answers are coming, but already we know this: The scandal spanned the decade from 2001-11. Know what happened that decade? The UNC men's basketball team played in three Final Fours. It won national titles in 2005 and '09.
Did any players on those NCAA championship teams attend bogus classes? According to the News & Observer, almost 67 percent of the students in those 54 classes were athletes. Most played football, but the newspaper reported that UNC records showed "basketball players had also enrolled. In two of the classes, the sole enrollee was a basketball player."

#80 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

If anyone has a post longer than 1P (aside from diddy and tle) please use TL;DR

#81 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,947 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:40 AM

I don't think less of anyone's degree(anyone not connected to sports) because of this. But if anyone does feel that way, blame your school, not State fans. To me, this post reads as "my school cheated, how dare these rival fans expose it, now people are gonna question my degree.". Shouldn't you be mad at your own institution? Look, at State, Duke and everywhere else there are easy majors for athletes. But this wasn't about easy majors, this was about FAKE classes. Classes that never met, work that was never done, papers that were lifted entirely from 100 year old books with no citations and given passing grades. This was pure fraud. Now, you might think that when that goes on, everybody should just shut up and deal with it, but the rest of us are tired of hearing about the Carolina Way and tired of losing recruits to Roy Williams telling some kid's momma about how UNC graduates 99% of their athletes. UNC has always maintained that they were different, they were special, and they were the flagship, not like those rednecks down in Raleigh. Now all of a sudden, it's "everybody does it". Well, everybody doesn't do it. And even if they did, what happened to being above all that? What happened to the Carolina Way?

But you guys are writing the rules as you go. Do you all know for sure who had knowledge of this? Do you know how far it went up? Do you know for certain how widespread it was across sports? NO, NO, and NO. And neither do I.

I believe those who knew are gone.

If you want some cold hard truth, I know first hand of one bball player who thought he was too good to show up to a class and the prof failed him. And from what I heard, he even tried to "pull rank" so to speak and she still failed him. You know what dept. this class was in? Exercise and Sports Science. The one dept. that should look out for athletes above all others, and my prof gloated about failing him because he was such a jackhole.

He was the exception. I had one class with three basketball players all together one semester. Each of them showed up and each of them participated whether they wanted to or not. Also, I started noticing after awhile that in each of my classes that I happened to take with a player (especially basketball players), an elderly gentleman would come by and peek into the class and wave at them or point to them... Obviously, making sure they were where they were supposed to be.

Again, this isn't just about UNC, Staters just want to make it about that. Can you explain to me how the guy I played JUCO with ever got into State despite being as dumb as a brick? Someone had to bend rules somewhere, because it's no knock on him, but I doubt he could even write his name on the SAT. Guess what? He flunked out of JUCO. How was he ever accepted into State?

You guys want to talk about Jim Valvano? Chris Washburn?

Cheating is cheating, no matter what color you prefer.

Hate continues to blind so many from the fact that if you are landing top recruits, you are bending rules, most likely making up classes, and boosting grades. I'm not excusing it, but I'm tired of my school getting crapped on when they are far from the worst "violators" of NCAA rules. They just got caught... Meanwhile, it will continue to go on rampantly at every sports powerhouse in the NCAA until some rival or bitter former player rats on them. And regardless of what you say, it doesn't matter if you don't think any less of my degree (and no, I didn't major in AFAM, lol), what matters is that the more this crap gets stirred up, many people will. And THEY HAVE NO RIGHT TO.

At big-time athletic powerhouse schools, there is two distinct populations - students and athletes. They each are expected to live up to their own set of rules, with athletes having to abide to very few, b/c of who they are. If you think any different, even at State, you're kidding yourself.

I appreciate your respectful tone, but the whole issue needs to be let go... Like I said, if you think State is clean RIGHT NOW, you're extremely naive... And how would you like everyone to start sniffing around your school - especially "Wal-Mart" Heel fans, as you like to call them - and start posting something almost weekly, hoping to diminish what you accomplished?

I beat the odds, I worked hard, much harder than most silver spoon-fed, old money having yuppies ever did to get where I am today, so I'm not going to apologize for taking umbrage to these wholly encompassing insults and accusations towards my alma mater.

If these idiots who keep digging it up earned a valid education and weren't student athletes, they should back off out of respect for their peers - whether we went to different schools or not.

#82 tarheelpride

tarheelpride

Logic is optional

• HUDDLER
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

As a Duke fan with 4 cousin's who got or are in the process of getting degrees from UNC, I don't think any less of them or their education. Its no student's fault that the people ran this whole fraud ring did what they did. Only way I would think less of a UNC student's degree is if they had a degree in the disputed major(AFAM).

I had many friends who were AFAM majors who busted their ass to get that degree. It wasn't nearly as easy as it seemed. Most (that I'm aware of) combined it with another major (psychology, for example) and a t one point in time, I'd thought I'd major in it since I was a bit interested in the subject material. Those people will be most affected by the scandal, the ones that worked hard for a degree that may be next to worthless when this is all said and done. I've heard other people say shut down the department, but I know it'll cause more hell than it will solve problems. I will ask some of them what do they think about the investigation and if they think their degree will be devalued.

We'll have to see about Roy. He does keep athletes in class and I had some classes with the b-ball team. They all came and did their work.

#83 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

But you guys are writing the rules as you go. Do you all know for sure who had knowledge of this? Do you know how far it went up? Do you know for certain how widespread it was across sports? NO, NO, and NO. And neither do I.

I believe those who knew are gone.

If you want some cold hard truth, I know first hand of one bball player who thought he was too good to show up to a class and the prof failed him. And from what I heard, he even tried to "pull rank" so to speak and she still failed him. You know what dept. this class was in? Exercise and Sports Science. The one dept. that should look out for athletes above all others, and my prof gloated about failing him because he was such a jackhole.

He was the exception. I had one class with three basketball players all together one semester. Each of them showed up and each of them participated whether they wanted to or not. Also, I started noticing after awhile that in each of my classes that I happened to take with a player (especially basketball players), an elderly gentleman would come by and peek into the class and wave at them or point to them... Obviously, making sure they were where they were supposed to be.

Again, this isn't just about UNC, Staters just want to make it about that. Can you explain to me how the guy I played JUCO with ever got into State despite being as dumb as a brick? Someone had to bend rules somewhere, because it's no knock on him, but I doubt he could even write his name on the SAT. Guess what? He flunked out of JUCO. How was he ever accepted into State?

Cheating is cheating, no matter what color you prefer.

Hate continues to blind so many from the fact that if you are landing top recruits, you are bending rules, most likely making up classes, and boosting grades. I'm not excusing it, but I'm tired of my school getting crapped on when they are far from the worst "violators" of NCAA rules. They just got caught... Meanwhile, it will continue to go on rampantly at every sports powerhouse in the NCAA until some rival or bitter former player rats on them. And regardless of what you say, it doesn't matter if you don't think any less of my degree (and no, I didn't major in AFAM, lol), what matters is that the more this crap gets stirred up, many people will. And THEY HAVE NO RIGHT TO.

At big-time athletic powerhouse schools, there is two distinct populations - students and athletes. They each are expected to live up to their own set of rules, with athletes having to abide to very few, b/c of who they are. If you think any different, even at State, you're kidding yourself.

I appreciate your respectful tone, but the whole issue needs to be let go... Like I said, if you think State is clean RIGHT NOW, you're extremely naive... And how would you like everyone to start sniffing around your school - especially "Wal-Mart" Heel fans, as you like to call them - and start posting something almost weekly, hoping to diminish what you accomplished?

I beat the odds, I worked hard, much harder than most silver spoon-fed, old money having yuppies ever did to get where I am today, so I'm not going to apologize for taking umbrage to these wholly encompassing insults and accusations towards my alma mater.

If these idiots who keep digging it up earned a valid education and weren't student athletes, they should back off out of respect for their peers - whether we went to different schools or not.

Posted Image

#84 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

The reporter obviously has some sort of racial agenda here. Why is he only targeting certain classes? Why are the teams with a higher percentage of minorities only being examined? Why isn't the men's soccer team (who won the NC this year) and the extremely successful baseball program not being hassled? Smart trolls pick their battles, I guess.

#85 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

Diddy how dare you mention State's favorite son (and convicted cheater) the beloved Jimmy V.

The younger State fans probably didn't even know who Jimmy V was. The older ones, like some of the posters in this thread, are probably still butthurt about this and just want to stick it to UNC because they still have some vendetta about John Swofford. #getoverit

#86 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

LOL Duke fans now using expert troll Greg Doyel as a reputable source. That's the beauty of journalists such as himself, Florio, and of course Prisco. Their opinions are easily manipulated.

Oh, and congrats pack nation. You've now successfully teamed up with fans of a team that considers 3 wins a good football season. An enemy of my enemy is my friend, eh?

I saw nothing in that article but a bunch of flowery language that only an aloof boob would assert as some sort of damning evidence against a coach with an exemplary track record such as Coach Williams.

#87 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

By now I shouldn't be surprised when UNC fans can't accept the truth when it is staring them in the face. The records from the inquiry showed that there were basketball players were in said classes.

#88 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 11,124 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell WRAL News that UNC leaders have asked former Gov. Jim Martin to lead an investigation into academic improprieties at the University of North Carolina.

#89 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 15,947 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

SMH...

Keep fapping in your Steve & Barry's limited NC State leather jackets PackPride!

#90 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 15,947 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

http://www.wral.com/...story/11436603/

Chapel Hill, N.C. — Leaders at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill have asked former Gov. Jim Martin to lead an investigation into academic improprieties at the school. Martin will coordinate with an outside consulting group and will report his findings to the UNC Board of Governors.
The academic scandal was sparked last summer when, in attempt to get reinstated to the team, lawyers for football player Michael McAdoo included an assignment for a class in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies among their court filings. A review of that paper showed that it borrowed heavily from another source.
Since that time, reports have questioned the practices of the department and threatened to draw in the wider university.
Chancellor Holden Thorp and others have maintained that any improprieties ended with the retirement of former department chairman Julius Nyang’oro and staffer Deborah Crowder.
In May, an internal UNC investigation revealed unauthorized grades, forged signatures and other irregularities in 54 courses in that department. Martin is tasked with looking beyond the scope of that report for any other irregularities.
A faculty subcommittee report in July noted that advisers in the Academic Support Program for Student Athletes directed athletes to classes in the African and Afro-American Studies Department, but still pinned the blame only on Nyang'Oro and Crowder.
A WRAL News investigation into independent study courses offered through the Af-Am department found lots of athletes enrolled and earning sometimes double the number of credits offered by other departments for the same type of course.
"We are determined to make sure that our internal controls are such that irregularities of the past will not recur," Thorp wrote in a letter to trustees, faculty and staff Thursday.
After Martin's report, the university will retain another task force to provide analysis of and recommendations for the relationship between athletics and academics at UNC. "Our goal is to engage the entire campus community in a meaningful discussion and analysis of the role of athletics in the life of the university," Thorp wrote.

Much ado about nothing.

Even with Peppers transcript, all it shows is that he, like any other athlete who planned on going pro, didn't care about his academics. His transcript doesn't mean anything to the academics of the university, but rather, it speaks to the football program looking out for their own. And that brings us back to square one... Who cares?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com