#91 4Corners

4Corners

Deep dish combo mambo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,351 posts
  • Location704

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

So unc alum and fan Jim Martin is leading the independent investigation?

Yeah, those banners in the Smith Center are coming down real quick.

HOW SWEET IT IS

#92 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 10,495 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

When did Jim martin go to unc?

#93 sunbunny

sunbunny

• HUDDLER
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

Am I the only one here old enough to remember the State basketball scandal under Valvano in the 80's? Pot meet kettle.

#94 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,082 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

I think it's pathetic that State fans keep trying to dig this stuff up. Don't be mad because your basketball team has sucked since, well, Valvano. So, scraping and clawing to stay on top of UNC in football isn't going to help your overall cause. It truly is pathetic. I grew up a fan of players... I actually hated UNC as a kid because everyone and their mom loved them. I ended up going there for my education and it IS a prestigious public university. It is considered a 'public ivy.' What a few athletes did, most, if not all of whom, had no aspirations of applying their education in life after they left the school does not automatically cast the same dark shadow on the vast majority of the student body.

Ask any non-athletes at UNC what kind of experience it was. Ask any non-revenue generating student athlete what their experience was like. The football players who were "tutored" through their university experience are by far the exception, not the norm.

I'm so serious man... I've never seen so much childish and immature potshotting from people who claim to be adults over something they have no hand in anyway... It's just stupid. Grow up. Athletes cheated... SHOCKING! I'm sure State has never had any violations and have been clean throughout their entire history of student athletics.

When it comes down to it, I'm a fan of all the local teams. In fact, I pulled for State growing up more than the other two big schools... But, I'm tired of having my school trashed by lifeless idiots and all of this immaturity. There was some dirt going on, people paid for it, people were fired. Good. Let's move on.

Exactly.

To State fans, I have just one thing to say......Chris Washburn.

Dumbest person on earth and he was academically eligible at NCSU....no cheating going on there my ass.

#95 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,242 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

Am I the only one old here old enough to remember the State basketball scandal under Valvano in the 80's? Pot meet kettle.

There was a scandal and we had to forfeit postseason play and gave up scholarships. We paid the price...

http://articles.lati...-carolina-state

If Selling shoes and tickets = lack of institutional control

Then they should shut down UNC athletics altogether

You're up UNC

#96 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,291 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

Chris Washburn was an idiot, yeah. But UNC hasn't exactly allowed in only scholars. Hakeem Nicks being my favorite recent example who couldn't have gotten into community college on his own.

Every school has easier classes that athletes take. No denying that. Hell, I breathed a sigh of relief when David Amerson walked in one of my classes last Thursday.

But UNC may have/did have classes set up solely to keep athletes eligible or bump GPAs. If you can't see the difference in an easy class that all students know about and classes set up for athletes by a department...I can't help you.

As for bringing up State's past violations...congrats? They were wrong, they served their penalty. Now UNC can do the same and put it behind them as well.

#97 sunbunny

sunbunny

• HUDDLER
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

There was a scandal and we had to forfeit postseason play and gave up scholarships. We paid the price...

http://articles.lati...-carolina-state

If Selling shoes and tickets = lack of institutional control

Then they should shut down UNC athletics altogether

You're up UNC

It was more than that. I remember point shaving and some other things.

#98 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,242 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

It was more than that. I remember point shaving and some other things.

That's right I remember when the athletic dept and the school were deeply involved in point shaving.

They took the money because State didnt pay their players as much as UNC dud

#99 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

Player that seems dumb=\=academic fraud. Easy classes=\=academic fraud. Easy majors=\=academic fraud. This isn't about whether Chris Washburn was smarter or dumber than Julius Peppers, it's not about whether State's Tourism Management is a legit major, it's about classes that had no syllabus, didn't meet, and weren't actually taught by the professors listed. It's about classes created with only one available spot filling with 18 athletes. It's about papers clearly lifted in their entirety from 100 year old British texts being accepted and graded as if any educated person, much less a professor in that field, wouldn't immediately recognize the plagiarism. Nobody's arguing that UNC is guilty because all other programs are filled with Rhodes Scholars. The other programs didn't create fake classes for their players, hand them a degree they didn't earn, then brag about their graduation rates. That's fraud.

#100 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,082 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:40 AM

Chris Washburn was an idiot, yeah. But UNC hasn't exactly allowed in only scholars. Hakeem Nicks being my favorite recent example who couldn't have gotten into community college on his own.

Every school has easier classes that athletes take. No denying that. Hell, I breathed a sigh of relief when David Amerson walked in one of my classes last Thursday.

But UNC may have/did have classes set up solely to keep athletes eligible or bump GPAs. If you can't see the difference in an easy class that all students know about and classes set up for athletes by a department...I can't help you.

As for bringing up State's past violations...congrats? They were wrong, they served their penalty. Now UNC can do the same and put it behind them as well.

If you don't think that every major university has a set of "easy" classes designed to pad athlete's GPA's you are absolutely kidding yourself.

I am not condoning what UNC did (it was wrong)....and they deserve the penalties they are getting. But, don't think they are any different than any other school.

#101 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,291 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

I'm guessing you missed half of my post? I'll post it again...

Not every school has classes created solely for athletes and if you believe so you're kidding yourself and trying to rationalize the situation. Big difference in every school saying hey, take sociology 101 with this professor and EVERY student being told the same/it being common knowledge among students. That's normal...that happens everywhere. What happened at Carolina it seems was the designing of special independent study courses etc. with enrollment consisting of all or a majority of athletes where a teacher hardly ever shows up, if they do at all and tutors doing work and plagiarism occurring.

#102 4Corners

4Corners

Deep dish combo mambo

• HUDDLER
  • 13,351 posts
  • Location704

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Y'all still talking about this huh?

Why don't you Statefags worry about Purvis who may be ruled academically ineligible this season.

More proof state fans more concerned about Carolina than their own team.

#103 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,242 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

Y'all still talking about this huh?

Why don't you Statefags worry about Purvis who may be ruled academically ineligible this season.

More proof state fans more concerned about Carolina than their own team.

It's out of our control.

#104 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,291 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

I thought State fans were the only ones bored enough and obsessed enough to do this...

Looks like UNC fans are trying to find classes solely for athletes at State. Too bad they didn't comprehend exactly what the class was...

http://mbd.scout.com...=1414&t=9255105

#105 Logitech

Logitech

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:20 AM

• Navigate NC State‚Äôs online resources to obtain academic and university information
  • Establish academic goals and develop plans for achieving those goals
  • Identify common challenges to using time wisely faced by student-athletes, as well as how to implement strategies to effectively manage time
  • Describe specific classroom behaviors that contribute to academic success
  • Understand individual learning style and incorporate suggested behaviors to improve academic performance
  • Assess which academic skills present the most individual challenges and learn effective strategies for implementation
  • Navigate the Degree Audit system to plan classes and determine course requirements through MyPack Portal on the NC State website
  • Outline the requirements for NCAA and NCSU continuing eligibility
  • Identify on campus resources that support student success
  • Distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate academic behaviors, as related to academic integrity
  • Demonstrate use of critical thinking skills through case study discussions of freshmen transitions
  • Understand athletic eligibility rules in the ACC and the NCAA

Why is this even a class? All of these things should be covered during Freshman orientation. No wonder state was ranked as one of the least rigorous colleges in the country.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.