#1 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:03 AM

I just don't see this defense forcing punts on a consistent basis. I don't see this unit coming up with stone cold 3 and outs very often. I believe that if we are gonna make a run this year the defense has got to force turnovers. I know this can be said about any team (of course you need turnovers)....but in regards to our squad....I think it's the one thing that will push us to the next level. If we find ways to get our offense and Cam back on the field we will ok. But if our D gets taken for a ride up and down the field again this year...then it may be another 2011 type year. Offense balls out...defense sucks...miss playoffs.

My Point - Takeaways = playoffs

#2 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

You already have seen what Kuechly is capable of, and his hands are stickier than most of our receivers.

If the D-line can get pressure and we can confuse the QB with some blitz packages that should create more interception opportunities. That's a big if though.

I agree that takeaways can lead you to the promise land, but special teams also plays a bigger role than some realize, and I still feel like we are BEYOND worse in the league in that category.

#3 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,234 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:47 AM

I just don't see this defense forcing punts on a consistent basis. I don't see this unit coming up with stone cold 3 and outs very often. I believe that if we are gonna make a run this year the defense has got to force turnovers. I know this can be said about any team (of course you need turnovers)....but in regards to our squad....I think it's the one thing that will push us to the next level. If we find ways to get our offense and Cam back on the field we will ok. But if our D gets taken for a ride up and down the field again this year...then it may be another 2011 type year. Offense balls out...defense sucks...miss playoffs.

My Point - Takeaways = playoffs

Rivera has been preaching playing with the eyes. Which I take to mean, keep your eyes up and on the QB. Seems to be working so far.

#4 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

Rivera has been preaching playing with the eyes. Which I take to mean, keep your eyes up and on the QB. Seems to be working so far.

We just need more dynamic players in the secondary. Those tend to be mucho expensive though...

#5 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,625 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

Holding offenses to field goals will help too.

#6 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

That's exacty what I was thinking, were not gonna shut offenses, but if we can give our offense a few more chances a game and play strong in the redzone then that's all we really need. Norman and hogan have potential to be ballhawks, so our int numbers should go up

#7 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

Holding offenses to field goals will help too.

This unit may be able to do this the first or second drive. But the longer they are on the field they will get worn out. And then making red zone stands will disappear. I really believe the only chance this team has is to create turnovers. If they can do that, they will be a top team in the NFC

#8 broseidon

broseidon

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationYour daughters dorm room

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

You can look at the Saints* Super Bowl run and determine it was because of two things. a good offense and an opportunistic defense.

Got to face the music. Despite our best efforts our defense is going to be mediocre this year. Our corners are going to have to step up and take the ball away plain and simple if we want any chance at a super bowl run this year. Hogan, capt. and company are going to have to nut up

#9 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

The defense will have a better showing against Miami I'm sure....I'd like to see more progression in run defense. Maybe even seeing hogan and Norman on the field

#10 il Malocchio

il Malocchio

formerly j2sgam...

• HUDDLER
  • 4,006 posts
  • Locationtryin to figure it out...

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

iirc, Carolina led the league in turnovers back in 03-05... It helped then with those offenses, could be brutal to keep giving the ball back to this O....

#11 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,505 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

I agree that turnovers will be a major emphasis this year but I am not yet convinced we won't be able to stop teams either. It is way too early for accurate predictions.

#12 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,234 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

You can look at the Saints** Super Bowl run and determine it was because of two things. a good offense and an opportunistic defense.

Got to face the music. Despite our best efforts our defense is going to be mediocre this year. Our corners are going to have to step up and take the ball away plain and simple if we want any chance at a super bowl run this year. Hogan, capt. and company are going to have to nut up

You can throw in GB also. NE is notorious for winning the turnover battle. Works for those two examples. So it should work for us? Right? Win the turnover battle, and teams will find it difficult to keep up with our O.

I am not so sure I am willing to settle for mediocre as my benchmark. I actually see room for growth, and I see some talent in the young guys. I say we break the top 20 this year for our D. With a shot at middle of the pack. Which with our O, could have us sniffing the playoffs.

So I say, if we can limit our mistakes, and win the turnover battle, we very well could be a dangerous team.

#13 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,469 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

I just hope Beason can get healthy. It will be very interesting to see two top tier LBs playing coverage and run for that matter.

#14 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

I agree that turnovers will be a major emphasis this year but I am not yet convinced we won't be able to stop teams either. It is way too early for accurate predictions.

Just with our secondary and lack of pass rush...what leads you to believe this defense will force punts on a regular basis?

(serious question. No attitude from me. I feel like I have to explain that because everything turns into a pissing match on here)

#15 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

Norman & Kuechly are both big-time ballhawks. If Norman can win the starting spot that's two guys who are going to probably get 7-8 picks between them at least. Plus, Beason is good for 3 at least. That's at least 10 turnovers better than last season just off those 3 players alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.