@CMackMost

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:10 AM

Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'

Posted Image
The number of stars points to there being many rocky planets
There could be one hundred billion Earth-like planets in our galaxy, a US conference has heard.
Dr Alan Boss of the Carnegie Institution of Science said many of these worlds could be inhabited by simple lifeforms.
He was speaking at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Chicago.
So far, telescopes have been able to detect just over 300 planets outside our Solar System.
Very few of these would be capable of supporting life, however. Most are gas giants like our Jupiter, and many orbit so close to their parent stars that any microbes would have to survive roasting temperatures.
But, based on the limited numbers of planets found so far, Dr Boss has estimated that each Sun-like star has on average one "Earth-like" planet.
This simple calculation means there would be huge numbers capable of supporting life.
"Not only are they probably habitable but they probably are also going to be inhabited," Dr Boss told BBC News. "But I think that most likely the nearby 'Earths' are going to be inhabited with things which are perhaps more common to what Earth was like three or four billion years ago." That means bacterial lifeforms.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.u...ure/7891132.stm

#2 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,138 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

Just waiting for them to find one and visit.

#3 GAme

GAme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

ALIENS!

#4 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

Ill just leave this here...

#5 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

There could be 100 billion earth like planets, or there could be none.

I believe there are other habitable planets out there somewhere. The universe is simply too vast for earth to be the only planet with a reasonable temperature and water.

I believe there is life out there somewhere.

But we simply don't know for certain and probably never will.

#6 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

statistically, there really couldn't be none.

i mean... we live on one.

#7 KaseKlosed

KaseKlosed

@CMackMost

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

With the general population unable to figure out hot exactly how a light bulb works.....and the planet itself is a bigger mystery to them and they walk on it everyday....there is no doubt in my mind there is life on other planets.....the universe is intelligently designed to support life...gasses....light sources....a star is a sun....a sun can sustain life by.....there are unlimited amount of stars....which means endless chances of other life.....the proof is written in the walls of ancient cities

#8 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

With the general population unable to figure out hot exactly how a light bulb works.....and the planet itself is a bigger mystery to them and they walk on it everyday....there is no doubt in my mind there is life on other planets.....the universe is intelligently designed to support life...gasses....light sources....a star is a sun....a sun can sustain life by.....there are unlimited amount of stars....which means endless chances of other life.....the proof is written in the walls of ancient cities

??

#9 KaseKlosed

KaseKlosed

@CMackMost

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

smh read through the typo....just a few theories

#10 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

The biggest problem is that, with current technology, we'd never have the ability to reach one of them and investigate it first...

In all likelihood, if the human population is going to colonize another planet, we'll have to have a multi-generational mission... I won't even go through all the list of things that currently make that impossible...

Rather than figure out how to solve that problem, we need to fix the problems with our own planet.

It'd be nice to know that we aren't alone, and that life could exist out there in the aether (I believe it does), but for the time being I think we should focus on terrestrial issues.

#11 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

http://blogs.discove...-new-exoplanet/

180,000 years... in theory we could do it faster, but not in practicality... Also, it'd likely be a shot in the dark because you'd lose communications at some point, or it'd take a looooooooong time for a delay... lol

Terraforming Mars may be an option, but that's still a big big chance, and we haven't even sent people there yet...

#12 Tarheel31

Tarheel31

cynical pessimist

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

statistically, there really couldn't be none.

i mean... we live on one.

Well yeah, but that's becuase of some magical dude that made us & all this in 6 days.

I read a book about it.

#13 Mother Grabber

Mother Grabber

Gettlemagic 2.0

• HUDDLER
  • 12,516 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

Guess that means we no longer need to recycle...

#14 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,596 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

http://blogs.discove...-new-exoplanet/

180,000 years... in theory we could do it faster, but not in practicality... Also, it'd likely be a shot in the dark because you'd lose communications at some point, or it'd take a looooooooong time for a delay... lol

Terraforming Mars may be an option, but that's still a big big chance, and we haven't even sent people there yet...

Great article... most people do not grasp what a light year is. The distance is so immense as to be mind boggling... hell, most people don't grasp how immensely far we are from our own sun even.

"Oh it's right there in the sky... must be close..."

#15 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

Great article... most people do not grasp what a light year is. The distance is so immense as to be mind boggling... hell, most people don't grasp how immensely far we are from our own sun even.

"Oh it's right there in the sky... must be close..."

TBQH I think our only hope of ever really leaving the Earth is identifying and unlocking extra-dimensional transit or figuring out some way to manipulate space-time... or dying, which is inevitable...

Most people that wonder if we're alone in existence never step back and think that if there are other beings/lifeforms out there, why on Earth would they want to have contact with us?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.