Photo
- - - - -

Rivera's camp wrap interview

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#37 Icege

Icege

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SUPPORTER

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

I didn't say he was the worst S in the league in this thread.

The WE was clearly someone nitpicking a single word. Godfrey has been a below average S over the last 4 yrs.....not sure why people can't handle that yet so easily throw other players under the bus over 1 season (when he has 4).

Not sure why you can't handle Godfrey not being as bad as you claim either, but it is what it is.

Errr.... I mean it's a process.

#38 AceMan

AceMan

Huddle Vet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

Nakamura is a Free Safety, but I think he's probably the best Strong Safety we got. He's not afraid to stick his nose in there and make the tackle.

I'm starting to wonder if Naka at SS, and Martin at FS would be our best combo.

I remember seeing a play in the preseason game though, It was the 2nd qtr, Naka & Martin were both in the game. Jordan Senn was making the tackle on a play, and both Naka & Martin was coming down hard on different angles to assist Senn. Martin pulled up at the last minute while Naka assisted with the tackle. That told me all I need to know about the two.

I do think Martin would be much better at FS if he didn't have to come down and assist much with tackling, and could just stay back and play center field, he does has alot of range.

I honestly don't understand why we haven't tried that combo out more. I'm surprised Godfrey's job is so secure...but "in Rivera we trust" so I'm hoping there is a good reason

#39 Snake

Snake

Rivera did What???

HUDDLER

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:38 PM

Godfrey's problems can't all be laid off on the corners. Watch his play against Houston where he was in man coverage vs the TE. He got juked out of his shoes by a bigger and probably less athletic player, and was in no position to make any kind of play on the ball.

That's why some of us have a hard time reconciling what Rivera says vs what we see on the field.

Yea thats what I dont get about him. He has the talent but then a 250lb TE makes him look stupid. IDK thats just Godfrey he is hot and cold in games.

#40 HeatCheck

HeatCheck

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

I'm starting to wonder if Naka at SS, and Martin at FS would be our best combo.

I feel like the best combo would be Nakamura at FS and Godfrey at SS. Just feel Godfrey is "less bad" at SS than Martin is at FS.

#41 God

God

Attitude

HUDDLER

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

It is what it is.

#42 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

I do think Martin would be much better at FS if he didn't have to come down and assist much with tackling, and could just stay back and play center field, he does has alot of range.

SS typically comes down for run support.

#43 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

HUDDLER

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

I didn't say he was the worst S in the league in this thread.

The WE was clearly someone nitpicking a single word. Godfrey has been a below average S over the last 4 yrs.....not sure why people can't handle that yet so easily throw other players under the bus over 1 season (when he has 4).

Probably because the way you feel about Godfrey, I feel about Martin. However it seems like Martin is the only one in danger of losing his starting position. I wonder why? Maybe WE are missing something.

#44 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

HUDDLER

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

Yeah I know, but I'm not talking pre-snap though.

#45 HeatCheck

HeatCheck

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

Clearly.

But what he is saying is that our defense has so many holes he was forced to make more tackles than needed. He lacks the tackling ability or "want to" to be much of help in the run game. But with the way our defense is, he will have to be called on for tackling more than he probably wants to.

#46 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

Yeah I know, but I'm not talking pre-snap though.

gotcha, I had to reread that to gain context.

#47 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

Not sure why you can't handle Godfrey not being as bad as you claim either, but it is what it is.

claiming he isn't as bad as I claim....means you think he is at worst average. Go check out someone like PFF view of Godfrey over the last 4 years. He has graded out as around the 40th to 60th best S in the league each year.

Being good in aiding in coverage and tracking down runners in the open field are the basics of being a S....and what he struggles at most. So him being able to occassionally pop someone before they become a runner.....doesn't make up enough to make him average thus far in his career his career.

#48 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

claiming he isn't as bad as I claim....means you think he is at worst average. Go check out someone like PFF view of Godfrey over the last 4 years. He has graded out as around the 40th to 60th best S in the league each year.

Being good in aiding in coverage and tracking down runners in the open field are the basics of being a S....and what he struggles at most. So him being able to occassionally pop someone before they become a runner.....doesn't make up enough to make him average thus far in his career his career.