Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where does the 2011 Panthers rushing offense rank all-time?

31 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Searched and did not find this anywhere, but saw a recent [url="http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2012/dvoa-70-worst-teams-ever"]Football Outsiders post[/url] on the worst Offensive/Defensive/Special Teams scores in NFL history according to their newest crown jewel metric, DVOA 7.0.

Which, bee tee dubs, the 2010 offense ranks in the bottom 12 in almost every major category. Although surprisingly, our historically terrible special teams has never once cracked the bottom 12.

In the intro to the post, they have a rundown of the new metric, as well as a link to their [url="http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2012/dvoa-70-best-teams-pass-and-run"]updated all-time offenses by category[/url].

[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/r8cw92.jpg[/img]

Obviously, we have never had the most prolific passing offenses. Some good seasons but never all-time good.

The Rushing Offense rankings were what I was interested in. I hoped maybe the 2008, 2003 or even the 2011 Panthers might crack the top 12.

[img]http://i45.tinypic.com/mc6ul1.jpg[/img]

Dayumm! 2011 Carolina Panthers, arguably the best rushing attack of all time!
(#1 in DVOA6, #2 in DVOA7)

And what did we do to address our offense in 2012? A versatile hybrid-back who can do it all, and replaced one of the worst rated run blocking guards in the league with a roadgrading monster in Silatolu.

Passing league or not, anytime you can make major upgrades to an all-time great offensive unit, You're on the verge of something special.
7 people like this

Posted · Report post

b-b-but it's a passing league.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

A post with actually statistical backing to a fairly sober and non-extravagant point.. i must check for a blue moon and I totally agree, And it's not like our opponents last year didn't stack the box and begged Cam to throw it

Posted · Report post

[quote name='megadeth078' timestamp='1345146436' post='1861382']
b-b-but it's a passing league.
[/quote]

RBs/FBs ran a grand total of 304 times......that is a franchise low. That was less than almost every single team in the NFL in terms of attempts by members of the backfield (potentially the fewest number of attempts - as I haven't verified).

[b]Cam Newton effect. QB driven league with a position altering QB[/b].

Posted · Report post

I find it hilarious that New Orleans did not crack the top in the new DVOA rankings in passing. suck it Saints*.

Posted · Report post

Nice find, and we can always count on a dig at the dirty Saints* from SCP, no matter what the thread topic. A+
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

well done. the league had better watch the fug out.

Posted · Report post

can't be all time when this list only goes back to 91

Posted · Report post

Hope 2012 run offense blows this list the fug up

Posted · Report post

6-10

Posted · Report post

It's simply a metric on how efficient the running game is.

St. Louis's 2000 running game is right next to us. With a pass/run ratio of 631/383, is anybody going to confuse them with a running team? Or rather a balanced team?

also, the quote which the OP failed to post that was very telling...

[quote]There's more moving up and down here than on the passing table, because the leaguewide "raw VOA" of the running game was a lot lower back in the late 90's.[b] Teams may be running less now, but they are running much more efficiently.[/b] You'll notice that the 2010 Eagles and 2010 Patriots both fall out of the top dozen altogether once we've normalized for each year. (The Eagles are now 16th, the Patriots 17th.)[/quote]

obviously, you're going to run better with less attempts, especially if you have a very good QB.

Posted · Report post

THIS IS A QB driven league now. Soon to be a 7 on 7 league with flags. Keep beating the drum CRA I'm with ya. Freaking RB's who needs them they should only block.