• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Jaxel

Jaxel

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

Besides that 1 35 yard pint return, what has anyone seen from Adams besides 5 other 6 yard returns?

#62 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,760 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

It makes sense to subtract an outlier especially since he has a lot fewer yards/attempts than most of the leaders in return yardage. If all it takes is 1 return to take your statistics from top tier to bottom tier then to me thats an outlier that should be removed. if you take Joe McKnights best return and subtract from his stats he's still 1st in the league in yards/return (and he has over 1000 yards anyway), so he's probably not a fluke. yeah it was a nice 1 play but...its just 1 play. The reality is over the course of a season Pilares is a below average kickoff returner. Start Adams.

It doesn't make sense when that doesn't appear to be an outlier, since he had another long return that would have gone the distance if not for the injury. It is also extremely risky to remove data points in small samples. You also should probably not be comparing a rookie returner with less than a season of starts to what amounted to one of the best averages in kickoff return history. Pilares is no McKnight, but he's a lot better returner than Armanti when it comes to game time.

The argument that Armanti is more versatile really is not applicable because Armanti is not a change of pace for this offense. I like Armanti and I hope he makes the team somehow but I highly doubt Pilares gets cut for him.

As to Adams being the better returner, I hope so, but I think that is a battle that won't be decided just yet.

#63 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

VIP...you can't take away a play. It happened... therefore it exist on the stats.

#64 panthers34

panthers34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

Not in the least.

But I'll bump this thread after the season when Pilares gets less than 100 yards receiving in garbage time (obviously he will playing behind Smitty, Lafell, Murphy, Gettis). I wonder if everyone will still be pretending he's useful. Just let Adams return kicks stop wasting roster spots

Kicks and punts are a lot different..If Adams was better than him at kick returns i'm sure he would be returning them...Pilares was top 10 last year at kick returns in the league and i'm not sure why you think he sucks

#65 panthers34

panthers34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:58 PM

If you subtract his fluke 101 yard TD return he's one of the worst in the league

You can say that about anyone...Subtract that Joe Adams punt return against Tennessee and most of us don't even know who he is, but that play did happen and is shows he talent and potential..No play is a fluke and Pilares worked for that Touchdown and made a nice play

#66 VIP

VIP

S-Jax

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

VIP...you can't take away a play. It happened... therefore it exist on the stats.

not much of a statistical guru are you

#67 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

not much of a statistical guru are you

You're the only one who doesn't seem to get it...! So I guess your brilliant and everyone else is wrong?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com