102 replies to this topic

#91 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

I agree. One on One Smitty usually finds a way to come down with the ball. Unmolested he probably comes down with it.

It really depends on the game situation. It depends on the confidence Cam has in Smitty getting to the ball.There is certainly a risk in that pass but a calculated one.If its a regular season game and we are winning like we were last night I would agree it was a bad decision but it is preseason and it helps them work on timing I am all in.

#92 DawgzLife

DawgzLife

Charter Fan '93

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

Name one INT Cam threw last year, while trying to connect with Smitty 1 on 1 deep.

Don't worry I'll wait!

I'm not going to look for it, b/c you are close-minded anyway, but (& you haven't had to wait..not sure what that's about?!) here's the reason for my whole freaking arguement.

Cam tries for Smitty when he shouldn't:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d82255e07/Woodson-picks-off-Newton

It does not matter if it is deep downfield & 1-1. If you really wanted to know, you would look for it yourself, but that's obviously not what you are looking for. Please go back & try to understand my original point. You do realize we are both on the same team here right? Man, I feel like I'm arguing with a Steelers fan.

#93 DawgzLife

DawgzLife

Charter Fan '93

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

Don't worry I'll wait!

A huddler recently posted a link to an article from today on Newton (in another thread). I read it after all of our back & forth. It’s funny how things work out & that Cam actually made this 1 of his focuses for the off-season.

If you can’t understand my point, maybe Cam himself can help you (Link below as well):

“Newton did that during the offseason. One area of improvement he wanted to focus upon was becoming better at check-down passes to running backs and tight ends if his primary receiver wasn't open downfield. To this end, Newton studied video of four other top quarterbacks: Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Philip Rivers.”

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/carolina-panthers-cam-newton-sophomore-slump-big-expectations-081412

They even use Rodgers as an example, which someone (not you) had used as proof it was a 'good' play by Cam.

#94 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

I'm not going to look for it, b/c you are close-minded anyway, but (& you haven't had to wait..not sure what that's about?!) here's the reason for my whole freaking arguement.

Cam tries for Smitty when he shouldn't:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d82255e07/Woodson-picks-off-Newton

It does not matter if it is deep downfield & 1-1. If you really wanted to know, you would look for it yourself, but that's obviously not what you are looking for. Please go back & try to understand my original point. You do realize we are both on the same team here right? Man, I feel like I'm arguing with a Steelers fan.

Don't bother looking, because it didn't happen.

Why would you pick a play of Cam throwing into double coverage to prove your point of why Cam shouldn't throw it to Smitty 1-1 deep?

I get that 1-1 deep may not be considered opened in your little pop warner league, but in the NFL it's considered opened all day every day.

#95 DawgzLife

DawgzLife

Charter Fan '93

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

Rewatching the game, teh Jimmy has grown half a testicle in the pocket. Also really loving Bruce Campbell so far.

And screw these penalties too.

Yeah, Jimmy is a waste fo the team's time. They need to cut him & move on. There are multiple rookie QBs out there who have more upside than him (which isn't saying a lot for them), but we possibly get a situation like we did with Matt Moore if Hurney is smart about it & moves on.

#96 DawgzLife

DawgzLife

Charter Fan '93

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

Don't bother looking, because it didn't happen.

Wow. Whimpers then fades away....

Now I feel bad that I spent time repsonding to someone I felt a desire to have an intellectual football difference of opinion with. :blush:

#97 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

You don't realize that great Offensive Coordinators come up with schemes in hopes of getting their playmaker WR 1-1 coverage, but you consider it a bad decision on Cam's part to pull the trigger on throwing it deep to Smitty on a rare occasion, were he's covered 1 on 1.

Then you proceed to talk about the height difference on 4 separate post, and get mad when Huddlers smash you for it.

GTFOFHWTBS................

#98 DawgzLife

DawgzLife

Charter Fan '93

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

You don't realize that great Offensive Coordinators come up with schemes in hopes of getting their playmaker WR 1-1 coverage, but you consider it a bad decision on Cam's part to pull the trigger on throwing it deep to Smitty on a rare occasion, were he's covered 1 on 1.

Then you proceed to talk about the height difference on 4 separate post, and get mad when Huddlers smash you for it.

GTFOFHWTBS................

Why did you edit your 'last' post after I already responded?!

I wasn't responding to "huddlers"; I was responding to you. Don't play that 'we the people crap'; you don't speak for the rest of the huddle, I can guarantee. Many independent voices on here (why the need to sound cavalier?!).

You still ahven't went back & read the discussion, b/c you still are talking about height when it was about "DECISION MAKING".

Why even respond if you are not going to be honest in your points? Go back & read my first post on this topic again.

#99 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,201 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

yes.

what i saw (and this is 100% me reading between the lines/pulling it out my butt) is a team wanting to show that they can be a dominant team without cam's running ability.

because if they can show themselves to be that, then we have something pretty near unstoppable.

that doesn't mean i don't want cam to run. that means i want them to be dominant without having to rely on his running ability.

people will be saying that the only reason this offense is so good is because of cam's running ability. i just want them to see the offense as a whole as being this incredible machine that can win games without cam running but will absolutely destroy any opponent with him running. i want this offense...this TEAM to be respected and not just because cam can run.

I understand where you're coming from but you're team is a complete team. At least with the offense. Cam running is just adding another demention to the equation, IMO. It's not the end all to be all like with Tim.

#100 coralreefer_1

coralreefer_1

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:01 AM

I was especially impressed with Tolbert...SO looking forward to seeing more of him.

However I cant help but feel that his fumble was rather self inflicted. He was out in the open somewhat running with a full head of steam with one defender in front of him, but rather than try to run around him, he tried to RUN OVER him.

I know the dude is big and strong, but I saw no need to try to bully his way through the guy when he could have simply taken an angle, likely would have been tackled but yet gotten 3-4 more yards out of the play and held on to the ball.

However, i think he played GREAT, and would have come out of the game with a much better showing if LaFell's penalty hadn't erased what I believe was a sweet 28 yard scramble.

#101 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,611 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

I understand where you're coming from but you're team is a complete team. At least with the offense. Cam running is just adding another demention to the equation, IMO. It's not the end all to be all like with Tim.

I am sure it was intentional not having him run the ball.We know he can and will and so do the opposing defenses.He is a weapon they will have to account for.

#102 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

How much you want to bet Smitty told Cam to throw him the ball no matter what. I'm sure Cam could have thrown it to another receiver.

We all know Smitty is VERY competitive and felt he could have out ran Sean despite his age..LOL

Must give Cam credit for throwing where he wanted it to go. It was up to Smitty to catch it.

Smitty was starting to break away when Sean committed the PI.

#103 vorbis

vorbis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

Mixon just referred to Tolbert as "The 35 Car" on this Panthers radio live segment. i love that nickname for him so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com