Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

in six months i will be taking a leave of absence from my job

58 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Being young and no kids helps.

I did some similar things back in the 80's/90's, but I wouldn't want to do it now. My back couldn't handle it. Last year, I went to the Philippines with my wife, and traveled as the natives do once we got there. Took a old bus up thru the mountain passes to her family home in Cauayan Isabela. Glad I did it, but I won't be doing it again. Next time we go, I will spend a few hundred bucks and hire a car and driver.

oh god filipino buses are the worst. i took the cheapest one i could find from manila to legazpi in albay and found out those seats are not built for six-foot-one caucasians, and then southern luzon got slammed by a typhoon and the trip stretched from seven hours to thirteen after a couple of near misses on roads where, it turns out, dozens of people drowned from being washed into the sea when bridges collapsed and low ground flooded.

i caught a cheap cebu air flight back to manila a week later cause fug that.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

oh god filipino buses are the worst. i took the cheapest one i could find from manila to legazpi in albay and found out those seats are not built for six-foot-one caucasians, and then southern luzon got slammed by a typhoon and the trip stretched from seven hours to thirteen after a couple of near misses on roads where, it turns out, dozens of people drowned from being washed into the sea when bridges collapsed and low ground flooded.

i caught a cheap cebu air flight back to manila a week later cause fug that.

yep.

Posted · Report post

Bogota, Cebu, Manila, HCMC are a few places I have traveled to for work. Might be headed back to SE Asia, but not to Indonesia. Too many bad stories from associates. Could wipe out a good bit of your cash in a back room at the airport.

Envy you and your wife. After college, caught a ride to the Rockies and worked at a ranch for 4 months.

Great summer. Enjoy your youth and safe travel

Posted · Report post

nothing to say but have fun and be safe, wish I could have done this at your age.

Posted · Report post

Visiting a Hostel?!

Posted · Report post

stuff

Awesome, smart.

Posted · Report post

Hey philly, once my kids get out of school, will you plan a trip for me? Seriously, you could have a business that does this stuff. I've always wanted to travel but kids/work/family/etc has never allowed it.

Posted · Report post

Visiting a Hostel?!

me thinks he hasn't seen the movies :)

PhillyB...you know I'm going to have to sn*tch some more of your pics ..I get compliments on the one last one I took :)

Posted · Report post

Do you still have your travel blog? I need a link, and a link to your pics. Hubs has decided he wants to read/look at where all you've gone. I can't figure out this newfangled website search feature we have on here.

Posted · Report post

travel blog is being re-done, I'll post it up here before I leave. MPF you are welcome to all the pictures you want, I like what you did with that one.

biscuit, I've thought about opening up an adventure trekking company offering guided tours to various regions, I just don't have the time, and I've got a lot of pokers in the fire over the next couple of years with things I'm trying to accomplish. Still, it's a thought...

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Will you be fighting that Saints* fan in any of these countries?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

biscuit, I've thought about opening up an adventure trekking company offering guided tours to various regions, I just don't have the time, and I've got a lot of pokers in the fire over the next couple of years with things I'm trying to accomplish. Still, it's a thought...

From what you've posted it seems you've got more experience and knowledge about traveling than pretty much anybody... definitely something you could do at some point I think.