#46 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,880 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

how old are your kids? having experience traveling abroad, even if just briefly on a family vacation, would be invaluable building blocks for them educationally. it opens up a whole new world, whole new ways of thinking. you never know what interests or passions you'll unlock by providing them with a cool experience.

if you ever want travel ideas/advice/cheap tickets hit me up! travel is far more affordable than people imagine.

if you travel to new orleans, completely ass up the entire rat bowl and take pictures of it, i'll blog that

Kids are 7 and 2, so it will be a few years before we do anything abroad.

I haven't had to go to New Orleans for a few years (thank God), but here is a photo from my trip to Dallas last year, It's not a family in front of the the Eiffel Tower but it's close.

Attached Files

#47 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,698 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

quality.

#48 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 18,244 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

philly b. rarely do i get envious but in this case i am. i got to do a pretty good amount of travelling with my wife prior to kids. by no means were they of the scale and scope you are doing. but it was enough to offset the longing while my kids grew.

however, everytime i get Outside mag i just sit there and stare at the sites and want to go grab my gear, get a map, some funds, and hop in the 4 runner and just go see what i can get into.

i salute you sir for following your passion(s). i too have a few personal mountains to climb and soon enough i will.

keep rocking man

#49 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,698 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

you talked about wanting to do south america a while back, didnt you?

flights to peru aren't bad and you can trek the andes for super cheap. get a couple of buddies together and go, you could easily knock a week-long adventure out for ~ $1000... including airfare.

#50 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,837 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

dude...you suck...and I mean that in the most jealous way I could ever imagine!!!!

#51 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

If you are going to be in Southern Africa go to Malawi. Beautiful country with great people. Lilongwe (the capital), Salima, and Lake Malawi are are well worth the time you'll spend there. You'll need special vaccinations if you want to get in the lake. English is the official language and with a few minor exceptions its a very stable government.

And as a bartender you'll appreciate the Malawian Gin and Tonic. Its a must have while you're there. Very distinct flavor, not like any G&T Ive ever had. While you're at it throw back a couple of Kuche Kuche beers. Its a local brew that's imminently drinkable. It wont win any awards but its got local flair written all over it and when you cant drink the water, might as well drink beer.

#52 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,698 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

If you are going to be in Southern Africa go to Malawi. Beautiful country with great people. Lilongwe (the capital), Salima, and Lake Malawi are are well worth the time you'll spend there. You'll need special vaccinations if you want to get in the lake. English is the official language and with a few minor exceptions its a very stable government.

And as a bartender you'll appreciate the Malawian Gin and Tonic. Its a must have while you're there. Very distinct flavor, not like any G&T Ive ever had. While you're at it throw back a couple of Kuche Kuche beers. Its a local brew that's imminently drinkable. It wont win any awards but its got local flair written all over it and when you cant drink the water, might as well drink beer.

awesome! i may add that to my list. a lot of the countries north of botswana charge ridiculous visa fees to enter, so I won't be able to whimsically swing into a place for a day or two... it'll have to be more planned out. but we'll see. I need a cheap base to fly to tanzania from, so that may well be a viable option.

#53 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 17,880 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

I got a great photo of my middle finger in front of Lincoln Finacial Field today. Will post later. Hoping to get MetLife Stadium tomorrow.

Edit:

Attached Files

#54 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 18,244 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

Montanita in Ecuador may become my new home. peep it.

and yes. Peru is still on the docket of pstall world travels. fo sho

#55 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,698 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

$700 RT airfare
$ 250 lodging (for guesthouses a step above hostels and a step below full blown hotels)
$ $200 food (if you eat out at nice places for every single meal

trekking you can do independently for the most part, but if you're going to do a several-day hike through the andes to machu picchu you'll need to hire a guide, that'll be roughly $250 for four days three nights all inclusive

if you do the mountains you'll need a cheap bus ticket to cusco or flights for about $200 RT

so basically for a full week of adventure spending more than you need to (but not staying in fancy places and doing too much fancy poo) you could pull the whole thing off for $1600, if you don't mind taking buses and staying in hostels and eating inexpensive food you could hold it around a grand.

what's stopping you?

#56 SOJA

SOJA

King McNutt 2016

• HUDDLER
  • 8,802 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

aren't you the guy who totally shut down that Saints* fan? You sir are a true hero.

#57 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,698 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

i'm available for speaking engagements

#58 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

awesome! i may add that to my list. a lot of the countries north of botswana charge ridiculous visa fees to enter, so I won't be able to whimsically swing into a place for a day or two... it'll have to be more planned out. but we'll see. I need a cheap base to fly to tanzania from, so that may well be a viable option.

I was there in Nov of '10 and at the time there was no visa fee and as an American you got 30 days without any questions.

If you go keep in mind that they will not let you leave the country with more than 200 Kwacha (their currency). They will actually seize it if you try. Not like you would want to, the currency is all but worthless outside of Malawi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.