Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom Morello: Paul Ryan is the Machine

50 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

------

Paul Ryan's love of Rage Against the Machine is amusing, because he is the embodiment of the machine that our music has been raging against for two decades. Charles Manson loved the Beatles but didn't understand them. Governor Chris Christie loves Bruce Springsteen but doesn't understand him. And Paul Ryan is clueless about his favorite band, Rage Against the Machine.

Ryan claims that he likes Rage's sound, but not the lyrics. Well, I don't care for Paul Ryan's sound or his lyrics. He can like whatever bands he wants, but his guiding vision of shifting revenue more radically to the one percent is antithetical to the message of Rage.

I wonder what Ryan's favorite Rage song is? Is it the one where we condemn the genocide of Native Americans? The one lambasting American imperialism? Our cover of "fug the Police"? Or is it the one where we call on the people to seize the means of production? So many excellent choices to jam out to at Young Republican meetings!

------

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-morello-paul-ryan-is-the-embodiment-of-the-machine-our-music-rages-against-20120816#ixzz240evDokL

Posted · Report post

The dude likes rapcore.. So what?

Posted · Report post

there was another band that wanted a song removed and both the responses seem very bitter and wayward. Just say hey dude don't use my music and call it a day.

glad rage didn't make any money from US dollars over the years to afford a comfortable lifestyle or anything. and yes im a big fan of them.

Posted · Report post

Rage didn't, Audioslave sure did.

Posted · Report post

I wonder if Morello would say the same thing if Obama/Biden were using their music, or said they like it? I'm only curious because at this point, whoever wins the election is part of the same "machine," and it isn't one of the people. It'd be a different story if Ron Paul won the nomination... Although I don't blame him for talking trash about Ryan because from most everything I've read about him, he sounds like an uber-idiot.

Anyway... Love RATM. Went through an entire Insanity workout two days ago only playing two songs of theirs on repeat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-58-36lSqG4

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

bulls on parade rocks.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Man, I still get goosebumps when it starts. Same with Guerrilla Radio.

Morello is a genius when it comes to the music and De La Rocha's lyrics are always powerful. The opening to Audioslave's Cochise is incredible as well.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Morello's attack on "the system" is just another thinly-veiled attack on capitalism by a man who indisputably succeeded in life because of capitalism.

Bill Gates should start a club for these guys.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Morello's attack on "the system" is just another thinly-veiled attack on capitalism by a man who indisputably succeeded in life because of capitalism.

Bill Gates should start a club for these guys.

It should be called:

What happens when the presented anti-establishment becomes its own establishment due to success

A common tale

...and rage f8cking rocks

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

for full disclosure, it should be noted Rage had a song on the Godzilla soundtrack. Yes THAT Godzilla movie. Soundtrack was better than the movie but umm, this just in. That was a system.

Posted · Report post

Generally speaking, anyone with political clout enough to be nominated for VP is the machine, but whatevs.

Posted · Report post

It's fun to see the similarities between successful musicians and successful politicians since they generally start from opposite ends and work their way towards each other.