Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jarhead

Should we run the ball more this year?

73 posts in this topic

We were 23rd in pass attempts in 2011...

Where do you want us to be?

30th?

When I say run I am including the short passes and screens to the rb ,We average over 5 ypc coupled with the addition of of Tolbert......my guess is if our defense can hold and we can keep it close we should run it down peoples throats.We have four guys with superior running skills Teams like Atlanta and Dallas have been spending on dbs to the extent that they may become vulnerable.I would love to see nothing more than Tolbert work up a 10 yard head of steam and have guys like Revis and Samuals have to tackle him .The only problem I see with this is penalties on the offensive line haunt us forcing us into 2 and 3rd and long

I'm quite sure this stragegery will be employed to a certain degree this year. This is not 3 yards and a cloud of dust "Fox Ball". The run game in this offense has many more dimensions than that and will most likely be the key to a few victories this year. Tolbert is so physical that he can absorb a lot of the interior rushing plays that normally would go to either Williams or Stewart. That coupled with the multiple run/screen/dink and dunk type plays make this a very dangerous facet of the offense.

We were 23rd in pass attempts in 2011...

Where do you want us to be?

30th?

The only stat I care about is wins
1 person likes this

We are going to be very dangerous this year. By years end last year, the running game was really rolling. I do have to say I am "a little" concerned just d/t the fact that the OL is doing a much better job of pass protecting than creating running lanes (thru a very small sample of pre-season plays tho). I hope this is something the OL improves next game b/c we have the backs to give defensive coordinators nightmares.

the difference between this year and last was Chud/Rivera coming right out and proclaiming they will be passing A LOT to get Cam used to the NFL as he goes out and makes mistakes while learning from them..

This year they will be going out with the intention of winning games and with Cam's ability to pass, I expect them to lean on the run game every chance they see 7 in the box...

They said they would take the Phillip Rivers approach. Put the load on the QB early.....and let him experience everything.

Teams would be wise to continue t crowd the box and double Smitty. Make Cam Olsen and LaFell beat you

I like what we were doing with Tolbert against Miami. Spread them out to get a look at the coverage, if they don't stack the box motion Tolbert into the backfield for a run play, and a easy gain.

We have also set up A LOT of screens. This may be what this line is better at vs opening up huge running lanes. Fast and athletic with the exception of bell.

They said they would take the Phillip Rivers approach. Put the load on the QB early.....and let him experience everything.

Teams would be wise to continue t crowd the box and double Smitty. Make Cam Olsen and LaFell beat you

oh, that's what I was referring to... I expect they will make Cam pass, especially after having the offseason to dissect his weaknesses last year..

oh, that's what I was referring to... I expect they will make Cam pass, especially after having the offseason to dissect his weaknesses last year..

I think Chud understands this and will have a better answer this year versus Tenn"s success doing it last year.

I think Chud understands this and will have a better answer this year versus Tenn"s success doing it last year.

definitely agree.. also that day the team was as lifeless as I never want to see again...