72 replies to this topic

#16 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

I like what we were doing with Tolbert against Miami. Spread them out to get a look at the coverage, if they don't stack the box motion Tolbert into the backfield for a run play, and a easy gain.

#17 toldozer

toldozer

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

We have also set up A LOT of screens. This may be what this line is better at vs opening up huge running lanes. Fast and athletic with the exception of bell.

#18 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,537 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

They said they would take the Phillip Rivers approach. Put the load on the QB early.....and let him experience everything.

Teams would be wise to continue t crowd the box and double Smitty. Make Cam Olsen and LaFell beat you

oh, that's what I was referring to... I expect they will make Cam pass, especially after having the offseason to dissect his weaknesses last year..

#19 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,629 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

oh, that's what I was referring to... I expect they will make Cam pass, especially after having the offseason to dissect his weaknesses last year..

I think Chud understands this and will have a better answer this year versus Tenn"s success doing it last year.

#20 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,537 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

I think Chud understands this and will have a better answer this year versus Tenn"s success doing it last year.

definitely agree.. also that day the team was as lifeless as I never want to see again...

#21 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,566 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

All I know is that Cam was in for three series Fri. nite. Scored 17 points and did not attemp a run. Not sure that trend will continue. But it was interesting to note. We can score without Cam running.

#22 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

I say we do whatever Chud wants us to do

#23 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,629 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

I think everything is in place to win this way but the defense cannot let these prolific teams score every possession, we have to reduce the penalties on offense, and Cam needs to reduce the interceptions.If these three things happen we have a shot at the playoffs.

I know we are short on defensive talent but I think we can be good enough and score enough to compensate.We have so much riding on Norman at the number 2 cb but he looks like he is up for the challenge.

#24 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

you know damn well we are going to run the ball more this year.. A LOT MORE.

I'm not so sure. I think the RB's, including Tolbert, will see more touches this year, but many will be in the passing game. DWill, Stewart and Tolbert can all catch the ball effectively. In many cases, they are more dangerous once they get outside the tackle box, so take advantage of that.

Also consider that Cam has worked hard this offseason on short accuracy. So let them double Smitty, pay a lot of attention to Olsen and LaFell, and we can kill them with the short passing game. There really isn't much defenses can do to stop us if we can execute plays with consistency.

#25 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,537 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

On the NFL Draft Tracker Podcast, I asked Panthers general manager Marty Hurney about the team's decision to emphasize the running game in an increasingly pass-happy league. Hurney said a hard-nosed, physical running attack can set the tone for the game.

Like Rivera has stated, he wants to be able to run the ball when he wants to run the ball and be able to pass the ball when he wants to pass the ball.. I agree, we'll pass as much as we need/want to pass, but I do think the run game will be much more of an emphasis than last year...

#26 ed bell

ed bell

Ruthless

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

We were 23rd in pass attempts in 2011...

Where do you want us to be?

30th?

I totally understand what you are driving at here, but I don't understand why this stat is some sort of benchmark. There are many more factors that mix in with making total pass attempts significant, and worthy of comparing our total attempts with every other offense in the league.

#27 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

I feel like the opposing Defenses will respect the run so much that they will leave recievers open on a regular basis. And if they dont respect, we gash. What the Hell are you gunna do against this Offense? My guess is Play action's going to be there ALL DAY

#28 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,290 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

we will be running more...but mainly because we'll be running more plays altogether just because we'll see more sustained drives.

i expect pretty close to about the same run:pass ratio as last year....which should make us more "respectable" in the all important league pass attempts ranking, except that we'll still be ranked in the 20's because although we'll be passing more (just like we'll be running more) every game, cam will be more efficient thus cutting down the pass attempts keeping us from being ranked better in pass attempts (damn having an efficient QB and an effective and balanced offensive scheme holding this team back in pass attempts).

#29 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,566 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

we will be running more...but mainly because we'll be running more plays altogether just because we'll see more sustained drives.

i expect pretty close to about the same run:pass ratio as last year....which should make us more "respectable" in the all important league pass attempts ranking, except that we'll still be ranked in the 20's because although we'll be passing more (just like we'll be running more) every game, cam will be more efficient thus cutting down the pass attempts keeping us from being ranked better in pass attempts (damn having an efficient QB and an effective and balanced offensive scheme holding this team back in pass attempts).

So what do you suggest to get those pesky attempts back in line with the rest of the league? I say fug it. Let the rest of the league worry about what we are doing. Which they already are.

If we are running the O effectively I expect to get what 10-15 more plays a game? That is almost two extra TD drives a game. Giving us close to 30 points a game. If our Defense is any where near as effective as they were against Miami, we should scare our way to the playoffs.

I am not going out and saying we are there yet. We are just learning how to win. But from what I remember, a win is a win. Preseason wins, for a young team, can help that confidence level. They played well and with a purpose last game. If they can continue that trend. We should be OK. Or even better.

Alright, I am done, for now. And GOOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#30 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,982 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

I expect the ratio to remain the same.

Offense simply needs to find a way not to disappear coming out at halftime.

You could line Newton up in the spread option every down and the NFL can't stop us....we can only stop ourselves. We have the talent to be a nightmare for others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com