72 replies to this topic

#61 broseidon

broseidon

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationYour daughters dorm room

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

Rookie Cam Newton broke Mannings record with no offseason.....yet we need to find a way to open up the passing game more?

We had Double Trouble last year....paychecks don't determine how you call games. Williams had more touches in 2007 as Fosters backup than in 2011... and 2011 was year one of his huge new deal.

I just don't see it. Nothing from year 1 of the Chud era seems to backup this rampant run more campaign.

Cam will be better...why take it out of his hands now when the coaches have voiced they wanted a heavy load on him early bc that was what the offense would require.

I have to disagree

Why spend millions and millions of $$ on 2 running backs and a fullback if we're not going to use them? I see the amount of $$ being spent on our backfield is a direct reflection of the direction our coaches want to see the offense go. You just don't spend that kind of money on them and turn around and say we are going to be a passing offense.

If you where to say that the offense was to go into a more passing attack, you would have seen us trade Steward.. keep Sutton... And use that $$ to go for high power WRs in free agent or draft.

If your going to convince me otherwise, come up with a more compelling argument

#62 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,723 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

I have to disagree

Why spend millions and millions of $$ on 2 running backs and a fullback if we're not going to use them? I see the amount of $$ being spent on our backfield is a direct reflection of the direction our coaches want to see the offense go. You just don't spend that kind of money on them and turn around and say we are going to be a passing offense.

If you where to say that the offense was to go into a more passing attack, you would have seen us trade Steward.. keep Sutton... And use that $$ to go for high power WRs in free agent or draft.

i don't think they use them because they paid so much. i think they paid them so much because 1) they see the value they bring and 2) because they intend to use them.

#63 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

i don't think they use them because they paid so much. i think they paid them so much because 1) they see the value they bring and 2) because they intend to use them.

I view the short passes as an extension of the run.It was interesting that a guest on NFL network that Tom Brady did not have a running game ans Eric Davis responded yes he does its Wes Welker. Stew had more receiving yards last year than his prior years combined.

In the days of Foxball when you had a fb,rb,and TE in the game the defense played it as a run.Now they have to account for the rb,fb and TE as potential passing threats.Stew averaged over 8 yards per pass and 5 yds per run.

#64 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,723 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:55 AM

I view the short passes as an extension of the run.It was interesting that a guest on NFL network that Tom Brady did not have a running game ans Eric Davis responded yes he does its Wes Welker. Stew had more receiving yards last year than his prior years combined.

In the days of Foxball when you had a fb,rb,and TE in the game the defense played it as a run.Now they have to account for the rb,fb and TE as potential passing threats.Stew averaged over 8 yards per pass and 5 yds per run.

agreed. the thing that makes them more dangerous is that you have to account for the possibility of them running the ball or being included in the passing game. when they are on the field you just don't know to what capacity they are going to be used...just that they are dangerous when they have it. the key to making that threat work to the betterment of the offense as a whole is in having them included as much as possible in both capacities without shifting the balance towards them and away from any other potential threats.

defenders have to be respecting all aspects of this offense for them to be properly spread out and for us to take complete advantage of them.

#65 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:02 AM

I have to disagree

We used them last year.

We gave Williams a HUGE deal last year and he touched the ball more when he backed up Foster in 2007. So yeah, you may disagree..but last year that big paycheck didn't mean he got the reps associated with that kind of payday.

The burden is on YOU. Not me. They ran our RBs at a record LOW last year for this team. It is being built around Cam. 2011 is my supporting proof of my stance

#66 broseidon

broseidon

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationYour daughters dorm room

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

We used them last year.

We gave Williams a HUGE deal last year and he touched the ball more when he backed up Foster in 2007. So yeah, you may disagree..but last year that big paycheck didn't mean he got the reps associated with that kind of payday.

The burden is on YOU. Not me. They ran our RBs at a record LOW last year for this team. It is being built around Cam. 2011 is my supporting proof of my stance

I guess we'll just have to wait and see

#67 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,838 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

Posted Image

#68 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,723 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

whoa....

#69 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

Well Tolbert was brought in to pass protect and catch. The fact he upgrades our FB postion instead of using TEs is also a plus.

I have never argued against them not being involved heavily....just that with Cam lining up and pounding them like Fox would do....is over. Doing that limits Cam. Short pass can be an extension of the run....same play however has other options

#70 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,635 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

I remember someone posting something about how we would have been 14-2 last year if games ended after two quarters and how Cam's rating would have been 100+ or something like that. I think if we can score early with a solid tempo early then the second have we can just run the hydra down their throats in the second half when they are tired.

#71 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

I remember someone posting something about how we would have been 14-2 last year if games ended after two quarters and how Cam's rating would have been 100+ or something like that. I think if we can score early with a solid tempo early then the second have we can just run the hydra down their throats in the second half when they are tired.

IMO sitting on a lead is how you lose a lead. Cam and the O could never step on someone's throat after half.....they need to learn how to deliver the knockout punch when they have someone on their heels.

Would be interesting to see a breakdown of the 3rd Q run/pass ratio vs 1 and 2nd Q.

I still think a lot of the fanbase subconsciously has a lot of Fox implanted in their minds.

#72 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,635 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

IMO sitting on a lead is how you lose a lead. Cam and the O could never step on someone's throat after half.....they need to learn how to deliver the knockout punch when they have someone on their heels.

Would be interesting to see a breakdown of the 3rd Q run/pass ratio vs 1 and 2nd Q.

I still think a lot of the fanbase subconsciously has a lot of Fox implanted in their minds.

I wasn't necessarily implying to sit on a lead by running. I don't think with our offense and run game that running it means we are trying to not lose instead of win. I just think that our offense is built in a way that when the defense is exhausted, we'll have fresh bodies to throw at them for big gains, which will allow one on one shots down the field.

#73 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

Well, not that it means much....but Carolina ran more often in the 3rd than any other Q. I rounded.

1st Q - ran 50% of the time
2nd Q- ran 40%
3rd Q - ran 53%
4th Q- ran 41%

They scored the most points in the 2nd and least in the 3rd Q.

Whatever the issue, they need to figure out how to come back out in the 2nd half

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com