56 replies to this topic

#1 bigjohn

bigjohn

Block and Tackle

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

Any of you lost a significant amount of weight in the last few years? Especially looking for folks 35+.

Visited the doc today and was told what I already knew. I need to drop some pounds, and I need to do it fairly quickly. I'm 42, and the pounds don't come off like they used to.

I know if I can get past the first 20, I can lose 20 more with exercise and I'll be more motivated to stay on track. I guess I'm looking for hints, motivation, etc. as much as anything.

#2 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

burn more calories than you eat

#3 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,737 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

No carb diet is the way to go. I still do it occasionally, but in high school when I really needed it, I lost about 40 lbs in 6-8 weeks by doing nothing but playing golf a couple days a week and eating nothing but meat/cheese/pickles. Didn't even matter how the meat was prepared, I'd eat fried chicken, etc. and it wouldn't set me back at all.

Not the healthiest diet to go on, but you'll lose weight fast.

#4 bigjohn

bigjohn

Block and Tackle

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

Yeah NCSU I've done the low carb thing and it worked great for me once, but I gained it back slowly over the next year. I lost 30 lbs in about two months, and I was working out pretty consistently too. But that's when I was 30. I'm 42 now, and the last time I tried it the diet didn't work as well for me, and it's definitely not the healthiest thing in the world.

And I know burn more calories than I take in.... but that's too much like work. ;)

Seriously, just didn't know if anyone had any hints that helped them along the way.

#5 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,353 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:31 PM

burn more calories than you eat

No, and I wish people would stop spreading this baloney. It'll take a 2 mile run to burn off a snickers bar - imagine what 3 square meals a day would require. Completely unrealistic.

Just start with the basics for now - avoid sodas and other sweetened drinks. For dessert, go with cottage cheese + pineapple. Avoid fried foods. A few meats you can substitute in - flank and sirloin steaks, salmon, ground turkey, turkey bacon etc.
Most foods aren't "bad" for you per se, but how they are prepared makes a world of difference.

#6 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,516 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

No, and I wish people would stop spreading this baloney. It'll take a 2 mile run to burn off a snickers bar - imagine what 3 square meals a day would require. Completely unrealistic.

Then don't eat a snickers bar.

#7 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,563 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

PM MCP on here... He's doing some stuff right now and having a lot of success. Diet is key, exercise is very helpful, but diet is more important.

#8 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

Just start with the basics for now - avoid sodas and other sweetened drinks. For dessert, go with cottage cheese + pineapple. Avoid fried foods. A few meats you can substitute in - flank and sirloin steaks, salmon, ground turkey, turkey bacon etc.
Most foods aren't "bad" for you per se, but how they are prepared makes a world of difference.

it's true.

all you need is exercise.

#9 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,611 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

it really is basic math...

take in 3500 less calories than you burn and you'll lose 1 pound...

you burn calories just sitting still, but not as much as when you're moving around...

eat healthier, often (like every 4 hours at least), and smaller portions, and you'll be on your way...

#10 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

Don't eat crap..fried poo..sodas..fatty foods...for example..we all know what those are....

get off your ass and move

document what you're putting in your mouth (buy a scale) ..hee hee

go find the thread "Huddle workout warriors"...lots of info in there

also...make your goals realistic...if you need to lose 50 lbs....do it in increments of 10 lbs...makes it closer and not so difficult to hit..it's going to take awhile..you didn't put it on over night..don't be a dumbass and think it's going to come off that way either

#11 Lomez

Lomez

Simple 'N Plain

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:29 AM

I lost about 40 lbs. doing Insanity. It's not for everyone, but by God it works.

#12 GAme

GAme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

Don't skip breakfast. Try to eat protein at breakfast to jump start your metabolism. Carbs = bad

#13 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

carbs are not bad..they give your body energy

yes there carbs that aren't as good for you...but in general, your body needs carbs

#14 Tarheel31

Tarheel31

cynical pessimist

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

Seriously, track your calories.

Set a REALISTIC daily goal for your calories, like 1600 or so.

Drink water.

The healthy choice meals at the supermarket are very low calorie, like 400 or so.
One of those for lunch with a glass of water and you are pretty much home free budget wise.

You stick within your calorie limit and you WILL lose weight, simple as that.

You cheat and rationalize a splurge here and there and you will cancel out all your previous effort so keep that in mind.
It's all about discipline.

#15 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,136 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

I lost 2lbs about 10 minutes ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.