Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TruCatzFan

NOT a big fan of the Army right now

44 posts in this topic

I'd much rather live in alaska than florida.

Alaska is f*cking beautiful.

1 person likes this

Seems like a good soldier would do his duty no matter where it takes him. Did you enlist for the easy life and think your opinion mattered?

1 person likes this

I guess if you like run down, moldy homes with water that kills babies (Ft. Bragg) you'd hate Alaska.

1 person likes this

Thanks to most of you for the good advice. I especially want to thank the vets for their service and paving the way for us today.

For those of you who lack knowledge on the subject and it's apparent that you do... There are things you can do to change your assignment.

I have been in for just over 10 yrs, so it's not like I'm a young private crying about the situation. It will be a major change going from the beach and 90' weather to the Arctic with subzero temps in the dead of winter.

I have served proudly and been deployed numerous times to both Iraq, Afghanistan, and several more to other countries that I can not disclose. I have never turned down or dodged anything in my entire career. I will more than likely be going to Alaska, but if I had a preference, I would rather not. We'll see what the rd ahead has in store for myself and my family.

Alaska is just honestly not a good career move for me at this point, an takes me further (both geographically and realistically) from my ultimate goal. Unfortunately for me... The Army seems to need me and my skill set there. My fear is that I will be under utilized for the rigorous training that I have gone through. It seems to me that I'm just filling a slot, just another #. It's just Army life. If you've served then you know what I'm talking about, if not then you don't unfortunately but this is the best I can explain it.

I look fwd to my continued service and I know that no matter what happens, it will all work out for the best.

Again thanks for the pep talk

Private or Sgt Mjr, it's still whining.

If they didn't need you there, they wouldn't send you there.

Suck it up buttercup, you asked to be a part of the Army.

If it was only 3 years, I would go and keep an open mind.

Good Luck, and thanks for your service.

TCF, hey you never know until you get there. It could surprise you. The only bad thing that comes to mind is those gaddamn Mickey Mouse boots and being cold all the time.

Not sure exactly what your MOS is but it could be a way to advance vertically. If it is just a placeholder gig, make the best out of it by trying to advance the wait for on post housing. I spent 2 weeks TDY in USARAL for E and E and it wasn't too bad. I don't think I would have enjoyed a full deployment without some tour guides.

Look on the bright side, no humidity (not like Bragg or Fla) and maybe you can take the cold weather survival course. Plus i hear you cant bet the hunting and fishing.