• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,641 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

it wouldn't be just one person. it would be a committee approach, but with no proven commodities so you'd probably crap all over it but from the outset i'd say murphy, adams, and gettis (once he gets back in) would be enough to provide that deep threat. i see us altering and adapting what we do and i see it still being very effective. this offense isn't going to live or die because of any one player missing not named cam newton.

the guys running the offense have an ability to adapt to what they have and they'll do it quite well.

can that be backed up "on paper" or by using stats from last year or whatever? nope. i don't think it's necessary. it's all opinion and speculative anyway.

#32 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,304 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

That is silly. We don't have anyone proven outside of Smith as a #2.... You don't need Megatron to have a deeper and more proven WR corp.

The fact our WRs outside of Smitty haven't done much isn't irrelevant when looking at this team on paper. Which is what he was doing.

I think LaFell steps up this year...I think limited opportunity is all that held him back last year. But you can't fault someone from looking at these guys outside of Smitty and not being impressed.

On paper, a Smith injury is devastating. On paper, a Williams injury is nothing. It is what it is.

I don't disagree with your point, I don't fault a national writer for not knowing much about our receivers outside of Smitty. I'm just saying the argument that we're thin because guys we have now didn't produce for us last year isn't a good one.

#33 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,645 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

I don't disagree with your point, I don't fault a national writer for not knowing much about our receivers outside of Smitty. I'm just saying the argument that we're thin because guys we have now didn't produce for us last year isn't a good one.

Well, it isn't just that they didn't produce last year.....none of them have ever proven to be anything more than a #3. I jus get that ONE point he made. He can call us thin at WR.

The rest of what he said is bologna

#34 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

"Newton's the most talented of the bunch, but Carolina's a last-place team"

"Cam Newton is the best player, Carolina is a last-place team"

I've been worried that sports writers would give Newton heaps of praise this season, but take a dump on our team.

I follow the Panthers closely, and I'm not a homer, we have the talent imo to compete with ATL, N.O, and TB. None of those games should be blowouts, we should be right there with them in the 4th quarter fighting for a win. N.O is the best team talent and experience wise, but injuries, turnovers, or just a B game from them can give us the edge to win.

N.O - SB level team.

ATL - Playoff team.

CAR - Playoff team.

TB - No idea.

Repeating "last place team" is total B.S.

The Saints* are not a SB level team this year, and the Falcons can't win a playoff game.

#35 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,638 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

Our receivers have to include Smith, LaFell, Olsen and Stewart. Those are the guys catching the ball. The fact that one is listed as a running back and the other is a tight end is irrelevant. We don't have a typical offense so why are we being compared to them? As for who we added, both Murphy and Tolbert were upgrades in the passing game and Adams is going to be a stud in the slot this year. You don't have to follow the Panthers that closely to know that. Any unbiased source should know that while we didn't bring in a big name receiver, we surely upgraded the passing game overall.

#36 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,729 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

That is the point. No one outside of Smitty did poo. Doesnt matter why. That makes us thin at WR.

Hope and potential doesn't make you not thin.

"out of a pool of brandon lafell, randy moss, jermichael finely and hakeem nicks, the panthers weren't able to eclipse 800 yards in 2011."

^ what's wrong with that argument? only one of those fuging people played on the panthers in 2011. and that is the exact argument you just made.

#37 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,645 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

"out of a pool of brandon lafell, randy moss, jermichael finely and hakeem nicks, the panthers weren't able to eclipse 800 yards in 2011."

^ what's wrong with that argument? only one of those fuging people played on the panthers in 2011. and that is the exact argument you just made.

No, my argument was completely different. Hakem Nicks is PROVEN to be more than a #3 WR. Nicks has 2 1000 yard seasons in 3 years. Hell, Nicks are more production than Smitty the last 2 seasons.

To argue we aren't thin at WR is blind homersim. With our diverse weapons it may not be an issue. But his statement WAS supported in fact.

#38 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,597 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

Really wanna see murphy get some first team reps against the jets in a couple 3 wide sets

#39 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,925 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

The term "homer" is thrown around like an insult to one's knowledge of football. I however wear it as a badge of honor. Yes I root for my team, yes i am proud of where I come from and finally yes, my team is, was, and will always be better than yours. And I still know my stuff.

#40 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,197 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

No, my argument was completely different. Hakem Nicks is PROVEN to be more than a #3 WR. Nicks has 2 1000 yard seasons in 3 years. Hell, Nicks are more production than Smitty the last 2 seasons.

To argue we aren't thin at WR is blind homersim. With our diverse weapons it may not be an issue. But his statement WAS supported in fact.

What do you mean by thin?

By the number of WR or by the production? If a team had 2 1,000 yard receivers, but you didn't know anybody else would they be considered thin?

#41 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,645 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

The term "homer" is thrown around like an insult to one's knowledge of football. I however wear it as a badge of honor. Yes I root for my team, yes i am proud of where I come from and finally yes, my team is, was, and will always be better than yours. And I still know my stuff.

I don't use homer to insult someone's football IQ....I use it when a fan only looks at the bright side of a situation involving an aspect of their team.

We are all guilty of it on certain things. Very intelligent people can take the overly optimistic stance on an issue. If intelligent people didn't post here no one would use this board

#42 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,645 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

What do you mean by thin?

By the number of WR or by the production? If a team had 2 1,000 yard receivers, but you didn't know anybody else would they be considered thin?

In terms of proven talent. We have an unproven #2 and a committee at #3. To anyone not in Carolina that is being thin on paper. That doesn't imply someone could not step up.

Your scenario would make us less thin. Actually, your scenario would make us pretty strong at the position....2 studs

#43 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,925 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

I don't use homer to insult someone's football IQ....I use it when a fan only looks at the bright side of a situation involving an aspect of their team.

We are all guilty of it on certain things. Very intelligent people can take the overly optimistic stance on an issue. If intelligent people didn't post here no one would use this board

I agree and I didn't post this at you specifically. I just notice that when people talk glowingly about an aspect of their team they are immediately branded as a homer. I guess i tend to view this as a weak retort or the lack of a proper argument against said Homer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com