206 replies to this topic

#196 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,554 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Yeah, you can have both IF you luck into an athletic freak.

You don't have to be big to hit hard. Sure, it helps, but there have been many smaller guys who could lay people out. Mike Minter wasn't an especially big safety, but he could lay the wood with the best of them. Troy Polamalu being another.

When you start naming the best safeties of the modern era, for the most part they don't fit your mold. Most are in the 6' 200# range.

Ed Reed is 5'11" 200#
Troy Polamalu is 5'10" 207#
Brian Dawkins 6' 210#

The days of the old school head hunting safety are over. You gotta be able to cover to play safety effectively in today's NFL. Hell, the NFL has practically banned the old school head hunting style of play anyway.

You are correct sir. There is nothing in your post that I disagree with.

That said. We are talking two different things here. Rudi's S is rooted in fantasy. While your S's are all HOFers. Way to unbalance the scales by the way.

Teams are trying to get bigger corners and safeties. Why not take an athletic but undersized LB and experiment? Teams try strange things all the time. Ain't gonna happen. But that is only because I, or Rudi, are not in charge.

#197 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

Because you have to be able to cover to play safety in today's NFL. Most college LBs enter the NFL unprepared for coverage at the NFL level for a LB, much less a safety. That's why such a big deal was made about Kuechly's coverage abilities. It's very rare for a LB to come into the NFL with NFL ready coverage skills.

The opposite happens a lot more than what you're talking about. Far more oversized college safeties are converted to LB in the NFL. Our own Thomas Davis and Brian Urlacher come to mind immediately.

Hell, Luke Kuechly is athletic and can cover very well for a LB. You wanna play him at safety?

#198 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

Thomas Davis thought he was a safety. I actually give John Fox a lot of credit for his development. He gave him a chance to play safety as a rookie and did it IMO knowing he'd fail. That way, he wouldn't have to convince him to play LB against his will and TD would embrace it knowing that he simply couldn't cut it as a safety in the NFL.

#199 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,685 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:01 AM

Well when you reply to my post....calling the point I was making idiotic.....the reasonable assumption would mean you think the opposite. Not exacty puttin words in your mouth.

Last I checked, more kids use words like "idiot" than adults. That's called simple name calling....don't spin that as adult.

I haven't mentioned Minter once. He is overrated in some circles. But I am not using stats as the end all be all for Godfey sucking....I have been saying it loudly since his rookie year and there where little stats available then....just watching him. A failed Fox conversion.

one more time, read slowly. When you put words in ones mouth, you are being an idiot. That, is called being descriptive, as i am describing your actions/behavior.

You call it name calljng, cause, according to you, nobody can be descriptive of others, without name calling.

If I wanted to call you names, there are much better colorful metaphors that fit you even better.

Let me know if you want me to lower myself to the level you are accusing.

You posted that rookie head coaches get no say in player contracts.
That has got to be.one of the stupidest things I've ever read on the huddle, and thhere been some stuuuuuuuupid poo said on the huddle.

If you don't like having your actions on the huddle spelled out for you, then stop posting idiotic poo.

Which takes us back to my first post in this thread.

Stop.

Just stop.

#200 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,622 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:09 AM

Posted Image

Ed Reed looks like every homeless guy = Find a homeless guy and we've found a HOF FS!!!

Are you even trying Hurney?

Hey he is the guy that tried to bum a dollar from me.

#201 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,476 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

Sorry dude. Spin it any way you choose. Rivera was on board with Godfrey, or the offer would have been rescended.

See what I did there? I made my opinion sound like fact.

Godfrey would not have been extended without Rivera's backing. Whether Rivera was totally pleased with the decision is a different point. Hellz, who knows? There could be a reason Rivera wants Godfrey. The point being, your bias is showing on this one.

We have weddled (The wifes word. A cross between weeded and whittled.) our holes down considerably. So you are forced into nitpicking where to throw your displeasure. Zod I hope we can become a complete team before you drive me crazy.

What will it be next? Hurney letting Chud go? Cuz we all know, somehow, someway, it is all Hurney's fault. Right?

This was Hurney team before Rivera. It was Hurney fault we can't buy a FA. It is Hurney fault we have players who need to be gone. It is Hurney fault we are not quite elite. When does it end?

Hellz bellz. I bet even a Suber Bowl victory would not quiet your nitpickyness. We probably should have won by more. Our D let us down. And my Zod that O was atroscious.

Just ragging on you. Most times I leave you alone. Unfortunately. Not this one.

Oops, I forgot about that one. What the heck does that bolded part even mean? The type of players anyone would want? Does that mean we have players other teams want? Isn't that a good thing?

A first year HC who was literally just hired.....isn't going to have a long standing GM scrap what he has been working bc the new coach "watched old tape".

Again, those contracts were Hurney/Carolina moves....not Rivera ones. Maybe Rivera agreed maybe he didn't. Point was, there was little to nothing he could do about those.

#202 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

A first year HC who was literally just hired.....isn't going to have a long standing GM scrap what he has been working bc the new coach "watched old tape".

Again, those contracts were Hurney/Carolina moves....not Rivera ones. Maybe Rivera agreed maybe he didn't. Point was, there was little to nothing he could do about those.

I think you are way off base on this. Godfrey didn't sign until September. Rivera and McDermott had the whole off season to look at tape, and had all of camp to watch him practice.

This deal would not have been done unless they were fully supportive.

#203 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

CRA - do u honestly believe that Rivera and Hurney don't consult with each other before a cut/acquisition/extension is made?

You honestly think a GM who never played fuging high school football and was a Redskins beat writer 25 years ago is allowed to organize and have full reign in constructing a pro FB team?

PS y'all have truly inspired me to critically analyze Godfrey tonight and not watch him as a fan - but view him methodically and observe him down to his basic fundamentals.

Let's just hope the case of beer I drink at my fantasy draft and following pool day don't obscure my view.

#204 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,311 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

Here we had a good discussion on safety size and play/style and pantherclaw comes in and ruins it with his obsession to talk crap to CRA. It's like CRA states his opinion and pantherclaw acts like a little puppy dog when his owner starts getting his food bag out and his bowl out. PC starts going insane with excitement.

#205 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,904 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

The Jets have not scored a touchdown all pre season. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they get one over Godfrey this game.

#206 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,685 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Here we had a good discussion on safety size and play/style and pantherclaw comes in and ruins it with his obsession to talk crap to CRA. It's like CRA states his opinion and pantherclaw acts like a little puppy dog when his owner starts getting his food bag out and his bowl out. PC starts going insane with excitement.

you have an un Healthy obsession with following me around. let me know when you think I give a f*** about your opinion on myself.

#207 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,311 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hahahhaha is this guy serious. U seem tired go take a nap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com