• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#16 ShutDwn

ShutDwn

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

What was everyone expecting? Ed Reed? We need consistency across the board from our secondary. Consistently better, that is.

Right. I have a feeling this came down to the question of "who fugs up less?"

It's unfortunate we can't decide this based on who makes more plays.

#17 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,552 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

it's not like we brought in highly regarded FA's...we took scraps and hoped...this is one of those
situations where it may be good, or it may be a little less bad.

That's Hurney's #1 strategy. Pick up scraps and hope they can fill our holes.

#18 Jesse

Jesse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

You're right. The least amount of blown assignments or missed tackles should not be the deciding factor of who starts.

#19 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,993 posts
  • Location704

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

I haven't seen Nakamura do anything better then Martin. I actual I think Martin has outplayed all the safeties. This seem like "Martin in a contract year and they don't want to pay him". So lets give Nakamura the job.

Yeah Martin is the victim here.

#20 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

What was everyone expecting? Ed Reed? We need consistency across the board from our secondary. Consistently better, that is.

I was expecting him to beat out Martin. I haven't seen him or heard him actually beating out Martin.

#21 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

I haven't seen Nakamura do anything better then Martin. I actual I think Martin has outplayed all the safeties. This seem like "Martin in a contract year and they don't want to pay him". So lets give Nakamura the job.

Surely you can't be serious.

#22 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

Yeah Martin is the victim here.

Put how ever you want. 1 player is coming up to contract time and the other has a cheap 2-3 year deal.

Seem like this is more of a money choice then a football choice.

#23 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,783 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

So no consideration if Martin plays better bc of experience and being pushed in camp? That blown pass cvg against the Saints* erased any good he ever did... It was that bad but I still feel like he has good playmaking ability.

I think Martin can really improve..he took a huge step back last season but as much as I would love to support Nakamura (im supposed as its in my half asian weekly newsletter) he would be solid at best. I do feel Nakamura would be more of a leader which the Panthers may need more than athletic ability.

#24 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

I haven't seen much of Nakamura in coverage, but he's a sure tackler, which I'm sure is what won him the job.

#25 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

Surely you can't be serious.

You tell me what have you seen or heard that said Nakamura earned this job?

#26 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,384 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

People quit arguing over guys who are not going to be starter next year. RR will draft a Safety next year. Best thing is to hope that Martin, Nakamura or Smith doesn't blossom so we'll get to address that spot in the draft or FA (Kenny Phillips?). Get ready.

#27 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

Put how ever you want. 1 player is coming up to contract time and the other has a cheap 2-3 year deal.

Seem like this is more of a money choice then a football choice.

So to clarify you think this is a masterful plan to convince Martin to sign for less next offseason and then put him back as the starter? If we plan on letting him walk why not let Martin(if he truly is the better option)play the year out and then let him walk if we can't afford him? To avoid backlash from the fan base??

If Hurney has done anything since being here, its been finding away to pay of all of our players who produce.

If you really feel that way this is more than an indictment against Hurney, it also says very bad things about Rivera too.

#28 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

I haven't seen much of Nakamura in coverage, but he's a sure tackler, which I'm sure is what won him the job.

When did you see the sure tackling part?

#29 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

You tell me what have you seen or heard that said Nakamura earned this job?

Rivera has not named his week 1 starters yet. Nakumara is likely seeing some time with the first team to see how he looks. Pretty sure the coaches have a good handle on how Martin looks with them.

I firmly believe the best player will start week 1 and money will have no bearing on it.

#30 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

So to clarify you think this is a masterful plan to convince Martin to sign for less next offseason and then put him back as the starter? If we plan on letting him walk why not let Martin(if he truly is the better option)play the year out and then let him walk if we can't afford him? To avoid backlash from the fan base??

If Hurney has done anything since being here, its been finding away to pay of all of our players who produce.

If you really feel that way this is more than an indictment against Hurney, it also says very bad things about Rivera too.

This is his contract year and it's cheaper to keep him.Then just cutting him. But if they give this job to Nakamura (which again most of the beat writer would say hasn't really earned the job) then they are trying to phase Martin out the picture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.