206 replies to this topic

#31 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

Rivera has not named his week 1 starters yet. Nakumara is likely seeing some time with the first team to see how he looks. Pretty sure the coaches have a good handle on how Martin looks with them.

I firmly believe the best player will start week 1 and money will have no bearing on it.

I hope so. I hope they are not just giving him the job.

I've heard from a lot of the Panthers that Martin is one of the top athletes on the team.

#32 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

This is his contract year and it's cheaper to keep him.Then just cutting him. But if they give this job to Nakamura (which again most of the beat writer would say hasn't really earned the job) then they are trying to phase Martin out the picture.

So your saying that want Nakumara to used to being the starter because they don't want to pay Martin next year?

#33 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

That's Hurney's #1 strategy. Pick up scraps and hope they can fill our holes.

His number 1 strategy is paying his own players, which goes 100% against what KoolKatLuke is inferring.

#34 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

So your saying that want Nakumara to used to being the starter because they don't want to pay Martin next year?

The thought cross my mind. Like I've said if Nakamura was showing out in Camp and took the job for Martin. Then the idea wouldn't have came up. But from what I was reading and hearing from camp. Martin was the guy looking good.

#35 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

His number 1 strategy is paying his own players, which goes 100% against what KoolKatLuke is inferring.

We can't pay everyone we've drafted. Ask Will Witherspoon.

#36 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

I can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading in this thread.

First, we hear of a front office conspiracy to deny Martin a payday. Second, we have a poster wanting all our safeties to fail this year so we can draft a new one next year. Finally, apparently our beat writers do not agree with the coaches' assessment of who gives us the best chance to win.

Maybe it's something in the water.

#37 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

We can't pay everyone we've drafted. Ask Will Witherspoon.

We don't get in bidding wars. We offer you good money if you deserve it. If you go somewhere else and their willing to grossly overpay you, then we let them go.

#38 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

First, we hear of a front office conspiracy to deny Martin a payday. Second, we have a poster wanting all our safeties to fail this year so we can draft a new one next year. Finally, apparently our beat writers do not agree with the coaches' assessment of who gives us the best chance to win.

Amazing isn't it.

#39 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,851 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

You've been here longer that I have and I still can't get used to some of the comments made in this site. I usually chuckle and move on.

#40 panthers34

panthers34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

He's solid

#41 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

Put how ever you want. 1 player is coming up to contract time and the other has a cheap 2-3 year deal.

Seem like this is more of a money choice then a football choice.

Guys in contract seasons typically play hard because they have incentive to get paid. Especially a guy coming off a rookie contract who needs to pay off the credit cards.

#42 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,709 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

mother of god are we really suggesting jerry would cut someone at the expense of team production because he doesn't want to pay out a big salary? because lol.

#43 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,645 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

From my recollection, Nakamura made a couple of good tackles in the Fins game, he didn't get beat on coverage either. If you notice, he's was also very vocal on the field, which is an added quality. He wasn't flashy but solid and to me that's better than what Martin was last year.

I have no problem with Martin starting but he has not shown anything IMO to earn that spot, well at least not in front of Naka.

#44 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

What has Martin really done to deserve a pay day? Production also figures into getting a new pay day too, last time i checked. And Richardsons comments about him doesnt help either.

#45 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,472 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

I haven't seen Nakamura do anything better then Martin. I actual I think Martin has outplayed all the safeties. This seem like "Martin in a contract year and they don't want to pay him". So lets give Nakamura the job.

Yeah, why would they want to pay two Charles Godfrey caliber Ss Godfrey money. Would be hard to extend Martin and not pay him like Godfrey......

Makes sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com