#31 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:29 AM

Lol I wanted Janoris Jenkins over him and was pissed STL got JJ right before we took Amini. My continued inability to evaluate college football talent never ceases to amaze me. From now on, whomever I say we should pick pre-draft, take ANYONE but that guy. I'm batting like .047 lifetime on draft talent evaluations.

You evaluated JJ perfectly. The Panthers wanted him, but he was taken a spot before us. Now JJ is tearing it up in the Rams camp. I bet you, the Panthers would trade Amini for JJ straight up if they could even now. JJ looks like the shutdown corner that we thought he was and then some.

#32 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• HUDDLER
  • 5,127 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

You evaluated JJ perfectly.  The Panthers wanted him, but he was taken a spot before us.  Now JJ is tearing it up in the Rams camp.  I bet you, the Panthers would trade Amini for JJ straight up if they could even now.  JJ looks like the shutdown corner that we thought he was and then some.

I wouldn't want JJ anyways, he screams of Revis-diva syndrome where every other year would be a holdout threat. The Panthers aren't that kind of team.

#33 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,416 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:54 AM

I wouldn't want JJ anyways, he screams of Revis-diva syndrome where every other year would be a holdout threat. The Panthers aren't that kind of team.

I agree about his character not being ideal. JJ can play ball. Not that Amini is not a good draft pick, but shutdown corners are harder to come by than starting OGs.

#34 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,506 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

JJ is also one of those rookies who are playing good ball and so is Cox who has lined up at 3 tech and DE for philly.

#35 Clicheking

Clicheking

Mack of the year

• HUDDLER
  • 2,972 posts
  • Location910

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

I'm pleasantly suprised by our O-line. I thought we'd have some issues by early signs are looking good.

I'd still take a pass on JJ. I said before the draft there's some guys you have to remove from your draft board completely, he is one of those guys.

#36 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

We have Norman and Gamble... I'm sure more CB's will come. Calling him a "lock-down" CB is way too early

I'm sorry but O-Line > DB's especially if you got a star QB

#37 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,416 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

We have Norman and Gamble... I'm sure more CB's will come. Calling him a "lock-down" CB is way too early

I was making the assessment that JJ has been playing like a shutdown CB thus far. I agree, we can't put him in the same sentence as Revis yet, but if he continues to play the way he is playing, he could be a Top 5 CB in this league by year end.
Monsta evalutated JJ correctly and so did the Panthers. I am very happy with Norman, and Amini as well.

#38 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

Lol I wanted Janoris Jenkins over him and was pissed STL got JJ right before we took Amini. My continued inability to evaluate college football talent never ceases to amaze me. From now on, whomever I say we should pick pre-draft, take ANYONE but that guy. I'm batting like .047 lifetime on draft talent evaluations.

Yes, everyone should just listen to me. I posted a mock with Kuechly and Silatolu as our first two picks back in February and got about laughed out of the draft forum.

But yeah, I also wanted Jenkins and was mad when they took him right before us.

#39 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

I am loving the honesty here. I was not a huge fan of this draft. However, the Panther's best drafts were in 2001 (Smith, Jenkins, Morgan) and 2007 (Beason, Kalil, Johnson). This draft COULD POSSIBLY be better: If things go as we figure the will, we will have 3 drafted players starting (Norman, Kuechly, and Silatolu). That has never happened. In addition, we probably have a punter and punt returner who will participate. Alexander could become a solid DE.

Take a look at the draft this year and possibly draw some comparisons to the panthers 2 best drafts:

Kuechly---Morgan, Beason
Alexander---Johnson
Adams---Smith
Silatolu----Kalil
Norman---no comparison

Of course, hypothetical at this point, but the comparisons are not far fetched. If you combine the 2001 and 2007 lists of top 3 picks (by the way---we had NO THIRD ROUNDER in 2012), you get a combined total of 2 rookie, first game starters (Morgan, Beason). The others were rotational or sat the bench. (Smith was a returner --a good one who made the pro bowl; Jenkins worked in as a rotational player; Kalil started at G and was benched; Johnson was a rotational second teamer)

Silatolu, Norman, Alexander, and Adams, and Luke could make this draft the best in team history--and I was cussing the whole time.

#40 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

Duplicate post deleted

#41 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

Yeah, this is the way you have to look at it. We got a pretty good CB in the fifth round. Jenkins is good for now, but just wait.

But do not underestimate what Silatolu does for our team. He is a beast on the move, and right now, he is thinking on his feet. He should open up the run game (last season we ran left 80% of the time) and keep Cam healthy. As much as I liked Wharton, SIlatolu is already better. He is that good.

So, a player who opens up the run game and protects your franchise's best player ever vs. a player who covers one of several receivers. Give me the offensive player--a better fit for our needs. And Silatolu was not raised on wacky weed and does not have litters of kids all over the southeast.

#42 Jai.

Jai.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Same here, bro!

#43 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

Yes, everyone should just listen to me. I posted a mock with Kuechly and Silatolu as our first two picks back in February and got about laughed out of the draft forum.

Good call. Seriously.

#44 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,401 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

I wanted Cox in the 1st just from a needs standpoint, and must admit to a bit of shock when they went guard in the 2nd. That said, I think this definitely has the potential to be our best draft ever. Kuechly looks like a potential all-pro. Silatolu may get a trip to Hawaii even before Luke. Loved the Adams pick, and had wanted the Norman pick since watching him in the Shrine Bowl.

If all these guys pan out, this was an absolute grand slam home run by the front office. My fingers are crossed.

#45 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,234 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

I will give this draft class an A+ for sure. The only complaint I have is the way it played out. Normally you take your DE before your LB. Or the fact that we took a usual late round G in the second. Our third round flier winds up being two potential playmakers... in the fourth round. And what is with this taking your future #2CB, a normal higher pick, in the fifth?

There is no way in hellz they planned it out this way!!!! Or did they?

Normally I would be nervous about 3 rookies starting. But other than Norman, I have not a care. I do have hope for Norman, I just hate having to count on rookie CBs. I know this is not the NFL of my youth. But teams know he is a rookie, and across from an elite CB. He is going to get lots of attention. Good or bad, he is coming to a field near you. I love him for kicking Capt to nickel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.