- - - - -

Murphy's our #3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#31 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

Keep Pounding...all the way to...the draft! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

If Smitty ever go down, Lafell is "not" the man who's going to step up. Saying if Smitty ever go down, I'm telling you Olsen will be the main target for Cam. Lafell is not a special talented receiver. The best he will ever be is a no.2 WR. I do not love Lafell as much as a lot of people on this board does.

Smitty didn't play last night and you see who was the best target? Olsen. You dnt want Lafell being the no.1 having to try and win a game against a Revis or Cromartie. Lafell wasn't terrible last night but the dude best catch probably came against Kyle Wilson.

Chuck, if Tutu wouldn't have been on there to begin with, I believe one of them would have gotten more receptions that Olsen. Probably LaFell, and also, Olsen only had ONE more catch than LaFell. That's nothing to indicate that LaFell isn't a #1 if Smith isn't on the field for whatever reason.

#32 rainwater

rainwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

Well I want to see Pilares now. Tutu had his chances

I don't think Pilares has a chance of getting a shot. No way he is a realistic #3 barring major injuries.

#33 ShutDwn

ShutDwn

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

I was shocked to see Tutu as the starter, I thought Murphy had it locked.

I think Rivera gave him one last shot and he didn't do anything with it. Some throws were off but he didn't do anything with his route to throw Cromartie off.

Murphy will be the third receiver because of his connection with Cam. LaFell and Olsen also have strong connections and you can tell. Tutu has no connection with him and it's just as obvious.

It's all about Cam's accuracy. Perfect throw beats perfect coverage.

#34 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

Chuck, if Tutu wouldn't have been on there to begin with, I believe one of them would have gotten more receptions that Olsen. Probably LaFell, and also, Olsen only had ONE more catch than LaFell. That's nothing to indicate that LaFell isn't a #1 if Smith isn't on the field for whatever reason.

Okay, lets say Smitty goes down this year. Wont be playing a single snap. Lafell move up the depth chart as the no.1 WR. Howd you think Lafell would fare against Talib week1? Greer wk2? other notable cbs this year: Nnamdi, Rodgers-Cromartie, Grimes, Robinson, Champ Bailey, Brandon Carr.

I love Lafell and wish the best for him only, but its not going to happen. He was playing against the no.3 cb most of the time last year and he was limited in catches. What happen when he faces the studs? Dont say he was the third or fourth option for Cam last year. If you watch, you know the dude struggles to get separation.

#35 Matthias

Matthias

HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

I'm good with Murphy at #3. I really love his skills. My problem is LaFell being number two. I keep hearing how LaFell earned a number two spot, but if we were just talking pure skill, LaFell is a number #3 type receiver. He is no where near a Muhammad type level receiver, and I would grade him to have the potential to be a little better than Ricky Proehl. That is why I want Gettis back so badly. Out of the three (Gettis, LaFell, Murphy), Gettis has the skill to be a true number two.

#36 davos

davos

€∞€∞€∞€

HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

I don't comment on what it takes to be a number two but with Smith, LaFell, Murphy, Pilares, Adams, & Idontgiveafug...we should be fine for the time being. Defense is the issue this season and I'm hoping to see serious improvement to help propel the squad to the next level

#37 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

still think our first and second round picks next year need to be receiver and cb.

#38 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

Okay, lets say Smitty goes down this year. Wont be playing a single snap. Lafell move up the depth chart as the no.1 WR. Howd you think Lafell would fare against Talib week1? Greer wk2? other notable cbs this year: Nnamdi, Rodgers-Cromartie, Grimes, Robinson, Champ Bailey, Brandon Carr.

I love Lafell and wish the best for him only, but its not going to happen. He was playing against the no.3 cb most of the time last year and he was limited in catches. What happen when he faces the studs? Dont say he was the third or fourth option for Cam last year. If you watch, you know the dude struggles to get separation.

Didn't LaFell face Revis and have a few catches? If so, that's pretty legit.. If he faced Cromartie, I think the same point applies...

#39 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

Tutu acts like he wears a fuggin tutu. In fact that's what they should call him, " Iwearatutu"

Couldn't help myself.

#40 panthers34

panthers34

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

I like Murphy so far...He's shown he can do a lot and plus I think Cam really likes him

#41 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

Didn't LaFell face Revis and have a few catches? If so, that's pretty legit.. If he faced Cromartie, I think the same point applies...

were you watching the game last night? Lafell best catch was against "Kyle Wilson" and Im not sure who the other catch came against. I mean Revis was the dude who basically shut down guys like our very own Smitty, Andre, Fitz, and Calvin, and you're acting like Lafell can put up even an average game on him. You must me on drugs. Dont embarrass yourself please.

#42 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

WhyTF is Tutu still here?

He goes against Capt FirstDown in practice.

#43 ShutDwn

ShutDwn

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

were you watching the game last night? Lafell best catch was against "Kyle Wilson" and Im not sure who the other catch came against. I mean Revis was the dude who basically shut down guys like our very own Smitty, Andre, Fitz, and Calvin, and you're acting like Lafell can put up even an average game on him. You must me on drugs. Dont embarrass yourself please.

You argue such insignificant points based on one half of preseason football in which Tutu was starting. Cam was also under a hefty amount of pressure. Hardly anyone thinks LaFell is a bonafide #1 but he and Olsen are the guys Cam has to look for to step up if Smith is gone. In one half of football they provided 5 catches, 57 yards and 5 third down conversions against a good defense. I'd say they stepped up.

#44 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

You argue such insignificant points based on one half of preseason football in which Tutu was starting. Cam was also under a hefty amount of pressure. Hardly anyone thinks LaFell is a bonafide #1 but he and Olsen are the guys Cam has to look for to step up if Smith is gone. In one half of football they provided 5 catches, 57 yards and 5 third down conversions against a good defense. I'd say they stepped up.

Cam struggle bc Smitty wasnt in the game duh.
Lafell sure stepped up since being a rookie, but to say hes a no.1 if Smitty ever goes down is ridiculous. Hes not a no.1. Hes a no.2 WR if he ever reach his full potential one day. And no one never argue that of course if Smitty ever go down, that Lafell and Olsen are the guys Cam has to look up for. If they're not then who is? kidding me

#45 Raskle

Raskle

Zookeeper

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

I honestly believe that Gettis could be our #1, provided he comes back 110% from injury. He has all the tools to be a great receiver, and will just need to work on perfecting his route running. Smitty teaching him some of his fire wouldn't hurt either.

As for LaFell, he needs to do what Moose did, and lock down the playbook. The best thing about Moose was his ability to block, and to find the soft spot in zone coverage where only he could get the ball, based on his size and physical presence. If LaFell can do that, he has a shot at being an awesome second receiver, but I agree he most likely would struggle being the #1.That's not a knock on him by any means, as you need both kinds of receivers to have an outstanding corps, but he doesn't fit the mold of being the "go-to" guy most first receivers are. He needs to study, and study some more...