Photo
- - - - -

Norman Vs. Munnerlyn

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#25 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

Moderators

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

To be clear, I didn't say Captain should be the starter, in fact, I've been one of the biggest detractors since sometime last year as far as him being the #2 goes. I just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Also, I made no mention of the INT he made, because although it was beneficial to us and resulted in a TD, it was a complete fluke. And as I said, it was almost embarrassing watching Stephen Hill, who isn't exactly a refined product at WR, completely blow past his jam attempt and leave him grabbing for jersey.

I think he's valuable as a nickel, depth, and for his ST abilities. But, after seeing what he had to offer as a starter last season and taking into account what I sense Norman can be, I don't have any idea why the staff keeps putting him out there as the #2. I just don't get it.

I just wanted to see if anyone felt his performance in total last night was enough to give him another week as the #2.

#26 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

People keep saying Cap should be our Nickel back, well I don't even give him that much credit. I think both Josh's are better than him.

Josh Norman did a really good job, and to tell you the truth, that slant Holmes caught, probably was more on JA than Josh. JA was to provide help inside, but took a bad angle. I just like Normans overall swag.

#27 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

Moderators

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

People keep saying Cap should be our Nickel back, well I don't even give him that much credit. I think both Josh's are better than him.

Josh Norman did a really good job, and to tell you the truth, that slant Holmes caught, probably was more on JA than Josh. JA was to provide help inside, but took a bad angle. I just like Normans overall swag.

Same here man.

But, idk, I just don't remember Captain EVER looking this bad his rookie year. In fact, he was quite the media darling with several articles on the official site talking him up. I remember Smitty even saying some good things about him because of his ability to jam at the LOS.

Which is why I think he was/is a solid nickel... Most slot guys aren't 6'4", 215 lbs.+. When a guy is around 6 foot, he doesn't really have a problem and there's something about playing on the inside that works to his advantage. He seems to get beat too often on the outside because a lot of the wide routes leave more space for the receiver to make plays over the top versus a slot having to work the seams/tight spaces for big plays.

But, you could be right about Thomas... But, only time I've really noticed him was as a gunner. I like Butler too but it seems he isn't a huge hit with the coaching staff.

#28 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
Guests

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

Captain belongs in the Nickle. I'm pretty positive he was in the Nickle during his INT last night.

Some of his penalties were BS, but that's just still the kinda play to be expected outta Capt because of his size unfortunately.

Norman looked pretty solid, makes rookie mistakes but plays hard and hits hard. We need his swag out on the field. Not enough talkers on D.

#29 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

Captain Munnerlyn@captain_41

My body hurts I need a massage lol in (my grandma voice)

Casey Beaman@BeamanDJ
You've gotta be sore considering how often that rookie beat you last night #Panthers RT @captain_41 My body hurts I need a massage

Captain Munnerlyn@captain_41
@BeamanDJ lol if u say so

#30 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

Moderators

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

Not to be a dick, but I don't think that's cool.

#31 ShutDwn

ShutDwn

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

It's not quite as bad, but I liken the situation Norman/Munnerlyn situation to the Cam/Clausen situation last year.

We all know who will be the better player. The only thing starting Captain will accomplish is slowing Norman's development.

#32 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

said it last year, and i will say it again this year. Captain is a liability in coverage. even if he plays the nickel teams will still pick on him.

#33 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

I say start Norman and give him a year of starting experience. We know what Munnerlyn will do. Which isn't good enough. I am pretty sure Butler will be cut and Thomas and Stanford will make the team over him. Or all three of those guys get cut and we bring in other team's cuts. We need to find something out there.

#34 cbully

cbully

HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

last night captain was toasted to a crisp...i will say norman was much better however he's my choice. sadly captain sucks at coverage but tackles better than the rest of the original secondary... yeah i said it!

#35 Matthias

Matthias

HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

Capt. can be a great nickel. He's physical and is great rushing the passer. As for Norman, I think he can manage for now as our starter. Was hoping Butler could get in the mix, but I think it's apparent Butler just can't seem to take the starting role, in spite of the lack of difficulty of landing it. Our corners must be sorry if no one has beat out Capt. by now!

#36 DawgzLife

DawgzLife

Charter Fan '93

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

Can anyone confirm that Norman has been thrown at this preseason? They tend to be picking on Gamble and Munn.

Yes, he was thrown at a lot last night. He was close to guys & made decent tackles, but I saw nothing that inspired any confidence.

I still would like to see him in there more & ultimately our #2, just b/c his size & speed alone. As a rookie he should improve tho.