Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bill Nye 'The Science Guy' Hits Evolution Deniers

42 posts in this topic

Posted

In old news, the Creation Museum outside of Cincy is quite possibly one of the most unintentionally funny things ever.

The only thing that prevents me from visiting is the small twinge of bad feelings I get for the religious that don't buy in to the literalist interpretation.

They have to be approaching one million visitors, and I'm pretty sure they aren't all the incredulous.

startingpoints2-1.jpg

Posted

tumblr_m77zwpEhc61r8xocao2_r1_1280.jpg

Posted

that was a separate choice in the poll... i think 32% responded that they believed in both.

only 15% believe in JUST evolution.

this country's celebration of ignorance is f*ckin astounding.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

--Asimov

4 people like this

Posted

lol

Posted

tumblr_m77zwpEhc61r8xocao2_r1_1280.jpg

lol. I wonder if they have a Jesusaurus in there.

Posted

I like how my first pic shows the complexity of human reason vs. god's word... You'd think most religious people would understand that they're taking the easy way out.

Posted

you can question man you absofuginglutely cant question god.

Posted

The herbivore T-Rex until apple-biting is just precious.

Posted

I agree and so do 32% of those polled.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there that believe dinosaurs and people either co-existed or that fossils were placed by the devil to test people's faith in God.

I do not believe in the bible or any organized religion for that matter, but I see no reason why religion and evolution cannot co-exist.

I am not going to get into debates or arguements over whether god exists or not (personal beliefs and quite frankly I don't have a clue whether he does or not). However, for someone to completely discredit evolution (and all of the tangible evidence that not only supports it but PROVES it) they must be a complete idiot.

You CANNOT look at all of the fossils and archeological evidence and just say....."I don't believe it".

If you want to be an intelligent religious person, I believe that you MUST be able to reconcile the two.

2 people like this

Posted

It is difficult for many people to accept that we just don't have all the answers to the eternal questions that have confounded mankind throughout the ages.

That is why idols/gods/superstition have been so pervasive in our societies. They give our leaders and their minions a way to bridge the gap between the knowable and unknowable.

As a leader, it is much easier to create/perpetuate unfounded mythology to pacify the general publics need for answers than to admit you don't know and risk losing your lofty position of power to some other charlatan.

Accepting the fact that we will likely never know the true reason for our existence is a reality most people are not willing to face. It is much easier to go with the flow and adopt the prevailing myths of the day.

It has been this way throughout history.

1 person likes this

Posted

i think that underplays myth's role and importance in society... it can and does teach us many things... honestly, I believe that the US would do much better with a bit more myth and ceremony to bind us together. That said, myth is only functional when people share it, you can't force it on others and those who continue to try to push us toward "old religion" are doing a great deal of damage to our society as a whole.

sorry... been on a joseph campbell kick lately... myth on the brain.

Posted

i think that underplays myth's role and importance in society... it can and does teach us many things... honestly, I believe that the US would do much better with a bit more myth and ceremony to bind us together. That said, myth is only functional when people share it, you can't force it on others and those who continue to try to push us toward "old religion" are doing a great deal of damage to our society as a whole.

sorry... been on a joseph campbell kick lately... myth on the brain.

Myths are helpful teaching tools when the receiver is educated enough to recognize a myth for what it is.

When the receiver lacks the ability to discern the difference between myth and reality you get a society that thinks Eve came from Adam's rib and humans lived with dinosaurs.