Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

Prime spot for the Atheists to make their voices heard.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
85 replies to this topic

#76 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

American Christian right wing terrorism has killed far more people in the last decade than islamic terrorism.

Yo i'm gonna need a link to this

#77 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

The Atheists Brigade around here seems to be very selfish. No "money where your mouth is" for them. C'mon guys, ante up.

http://connecticut.c...ack-of-funding/

#78 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

The Atheists Brigade around here seems to be very selfish. No "money where your mouth is" for them. C'mon guys, ante up.

http://connecticut.c...ack-of-funding/

Donating money to an atheist political party isn't really in my rational self-interest.

So I'll selfishly put that money into things that aren't stupid.

An Atheist Brigade sounds cool, though. We could be the main characters in a dystopian sci-fi novel about how religion destroyed the world.

#79 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

Yo i'm gonna need a link to this

Likewise.

#80 google larry davis

google larry davis

fleet-footed poster

HUDDLER

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:25 AM

i don't have a number on christian terrorism but without a doubt christians have killed more americans than islamic terrorists in the last decade. i don't like that comparison though but it's irrelevant anyway because islamic terrorism hasn't really been a thing since 9/11, which is actually kind of surprising considering their minority status and the rhetoric that muslims hear from the right on a daily basis.

also how many clinics have been attacked over the past few decades? imagine how christian fundies would react if they were ACTUALLY being marginalized in any way

#81 google larry davis

google larry davis

fleet-footed poster

HUDDLER

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:29 AM

The US government pwns em all.

the majority of the people working for the government are christians, including nearly every single president (barack HUSSEIN obama included), and nearly every congressman

anyway here comes the no true scotsman in 3...2...

#82 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

SUPPORTER

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:47 AM

I don't know why religious preference is such a big deal. I'm Christian, but not one with a superiority complex. I have no problem with non believers or those who follow other religions.

...ok, Scientology makes me lol.

#83 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

HUDDLER

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:04 AM

I don't know why religious preference is such a big deal. I'm Christian, but not one with a superiority complex. I have no problem with non believers or those who follow other religions.

...ok, Scientology makes me lol.

Scientology makes me lol for the same reasons Christianity and other religions do, though...

In the end, there isn't much difference, really...

#84 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

HUDDLER

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

Religion is just another form of control. They intimidate you by threatening eternal damnation in order to get you to do what they want.

#85 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

SUPPORTER

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

Who is "they"?

#86 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

HUDDLER

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

Christianity is no less ridiculous than Scientology or the Mormon religion. Those religions just seem less plausible to some of us because they are less pervasive/familiar in our culture in comparison to Christianity.

Most people that actually read and reflect on the stories of the bible will quickly realize how implausible they are. When you add the fact that most of the stories are derived from even more ancient cults/religions, it becomes painfully obvious there is little reason to give any credence to the bible either.

There was a time where it really didn't matter to me what other people chose to believe, "live and let live". That was, until a significant number of churches decided it was their moral duty to mobilize politically and "take back their country". Those churches, to me, are little more than tax free hotbeds of political activism, having a disproportionate and detrimental impact on our society.