38 replies to this topic

#1 DOMOMAN

DOMOMAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

Looking through next years potential draft, i see up to 6 guys (And so does Todd McShay/Football Outsiders) who could go in the first round, and there is enough to suit your every need, giant raw 3-4 Noses like John Jenkins (6ft4/365) and Jonathan Hankins (6ft3/335), stout run gobblers with a bit of pass rush for a 4-3 scheme like Star Lotuleli (6ft3/320), Sylvester Williams (6ft2/320) and Kawann Short (6ft3/325) + a traditional 3-tech in Bernie Logan (6ft3/290)

Considering DT is our biggest need at the moment in my book, it would be very likely that atleast one of these men will be available in the bottom of the first (where we will be drafting ofcourse)

Question i would like to pose, is what do we need? do we need a man-mountain like Jenkins, or a more rounded DT like Lotuleli?

#2 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,352 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

Does that include the 3-4 DE's from LSU ? They could end up as 4-3 DTs

#3 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

i'm always skittish of any DT taken early, esp. in the first round. if 6 are taken early, it would be safe to say that only 1 or 2 actually live up to their potential and i would expect only one to actually make an impact their first year. i don't know who that would be, just that i wouldn't get too excited.

i hope we don't draft on need (though i'm probably going to be arguing for certain players that are positional needs.

i'm guessing we take the BPA between DT, CB, WR, S, and OT....and a lot of that depends on what happens this year.

#4 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

Does that include the 3-4 DE's from LSU ? They could end up as 4-3 DTs

Mingo will not be a DT, but maybe Montgomery but he is so good as a rass rusher.

#5 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,217 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

Should be pretty damn good

#6 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,498 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

Jon Hankins should be considered well rounded as well because he play every spot on the DL.he has athletism threw the roof and has even line up at DE in OSU 4-3 look last year.

#7 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

I really hope we aren't in position to draft Lotulei....

#8 kdrh5

kdrh5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

Kawann Short, please. Hopefully late in the first.

#9 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,590 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

i'm always skittish of any DT taken early, esp. in the first round. if 6 are taken early, it would be safe to say that only 1 or 2 actually live up to their potential and i would expect only one to actually make an impact their first year. i don't know who that would be, just that i wouldn't get too excited.

i hope we don't draft on need (though i'm probably going to be arguing for certain players that are positional needs.

i'm guessing we take the BPA between DT, CB, WR, S, and OT....and a lot of that depends on what happens this year.

DTs have the highest bust ratio than any other position in the 1st rd.

Currently Poe is third string and Fletcher Cox has been nothing to talk about. Im not saying either are busts but such is the DT learning curve as we saw with Fua and Mcclain.

Hopefully we shore up thie DT position bc I still see no.1 WR and LT being a soon to be priority. Secondary too.

#10 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

DTs have the highest bust ratio than any other position in the 1st rd.

Currently Poe is third string and Fletcher Cox has been nothing to talk about. Im not saying either are busts but such is the DT learning curve as we saw with Fua and Mcclain.

Hopefully we shore up thie DT position bc I still see no.1 WR and LT being a soon to be priority. Secondary too.

God bless you!!!

#11 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

i'll keep on saying this, i'd rather we address DT in FA or via trade rather than take a huge gamble on one in the draft.

it takes too long to develop them and it's just too important to risk such a high pick on something that is so likely to bust.

#12 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

2013 draft is also looking real good for safeties with a 1st or 2nd round grade.

#13 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

2013 draft is also looking real good for safeties with a 1st or 2nd round grade.

Yep. Lester, Jefferson, Rambo, McDonald, Reid, the list goes on.

To be honest Amerson looks more like FS than a CB to me. I can see him transitioning to that to the NFL. Just don't see us in position to take him.

#14 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

I'd rather go with a pass rusher, TBH. That's our biggest need, IMO.

#15 kdrh5

kdrh5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

I love how so many are absolutely terrified of adding first round talent to a position that hasn't had an impact player since Kris Jenkins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.