• Please log in to reply
331 replies to this topic

#166 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,200 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

Same thing they're doing in Charleston. Trendy white businesses open in a poor area, driving property taxes up, then the poor gullah community who's houses were grandfathered to them are forced to relocate because of the higher property taxes. Looks like the area's getting better, but really you've just displaced the poor. Out of sight, out of mind. Till you have to run an errand in North Charleston.

This is the same thing they're going to do there. It's not fixing people lives, it's just hiding the poor.

So now the problem is more businesses opening and more property taxes to collect?

There are always going to be poor and hopefully programs that help support them. Not sure why collecting more money is a problem.

#167 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,974 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

There are always going to be poor and hopefully programs that help support them.

See, there is where the big difference is between what you believe and what I believe.

I believe that we should have programs to "assist" them....to help them get back on their feet.

You believe that we should have programs to "support them"....and that is exactly what we have. Programs that provide a complete means of support for their entire lives....and their kids' lives.

#168 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,136 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Generational welfare is the problem. And thanks to Obama, any incentive to work was given the wink/nod.

#169 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

Generational welfare is the problem. And thanks to Obama, any incentive to work was given the wink/nod.

You don't know anything about the exemption do you?

It puts welfare control in the hands of the states that request it. I thought republicans liked states rights?

#170 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Collecting more money isn't a problem. It's more of a matter of who you're collecting the money from. I'll give you an example. I used to work for the DMV in SC. In SC, if an individual lets their auto insurance lapse the state charges a $5 per diem fee, once the fee's total $200 then the state charges an additional $200 reinstatement fee not including what you have to pay to your insurance company to restart coverage. So now you're at 400 bucks you have to pay the government. What demographic of people is a law like this designed to take advantage of? The poor. Well earning individuals don't let their auto insurance lapse. I would have single mom's crying at my counter because they couldn't afford this in addition to feeding their kids, and paying their rent. They had to let their insurance lapse to keep treading water. There is no reason to have a law like that which fattens the governments pockets at the expense of the under privileged. So I sort of look at raising the property taxes on a low income family as a product of the same design. Most of us paycheck to paycheckers are one sickness or accident away from being completely fugged.

#171 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,136 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

You don't know anything about the exemption do you?

It puts welfare control in the hands of the states that request it. I thought republicans liked states rights?

http://blog.heritage...are-reform-law/

#172 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

everything I've read and heard has stated that that's not true..it was simply the lie that the Romney/Paul tv-ads want us to believe

If I'm wrong, please show me...I've just heard otherwise

#173 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,200 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

See, there is where the big difference is between what you believe and what I believe.

I believe that we should have programs to "assist" them....to help them get back on their feet.

You believe that we should have programs to "support them"....and that is exactly what we have. Programs that provide a complete means of support for their entire lives....and their kids' lives.

I believe you are demonizing the wrong group of people. What programs do you have an issue with? Do you know that we only spend about 5% of our budget on welfare programs specifically designed for the poor. Around $200 billion...out of the total $3,500 Billion

#174 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,136 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

everything I've read and heard has stated that that's not true..it was simply the lie that the Romney/Paul tv-ads want us to believe

If I'm wrong, please show me...I've just heard otherwise

Here's an explanation.

First off...the law was written specifically to prevent what Obama did...but either way.

http://blog.heritage...are-reform-law/

#175 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,200 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Most of us paycheck to paycheckers are one sickness or accident away from being completely fugged.

And you can be denied coverage if you have a pre existing condition or bankrupted if your wife or child is in an accident. People like Madhatter and G5 would love to deny your families livelihood to save them themselves a dollar.

I'd rather be out the dollar if it meant your family could be treated and not bankrupted.

#176 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,974 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

I believe you are demonizing the wrong group of people. What programs do you have an issue with? Do you know that we only spend about 5% of our budget on welfare programs specifically designed for the poor. Around $200 billion...out of the total $3,500 Billion

I have a HUGE problem with Welfare. Any program that is designed and operated to provide complete support for someone without requiring them to work to improve their lot in life is a problem with me.

The Welfare program was designed and implemented to be a stopgap aid program for the less fortunate. It has turned into a source of life long income for too damn many people.

You should be requried to do SOMETHING to get a check for the rest of your life.

Check your facts....the US spends 16% of GDP on social programs. And that does not include the new healthcare benefit that is coming.

#177 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,974 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

And you can be denied coverage if you have a pre existing condition or bankrupted if your wife or child is in an accident. People like Madhatter and G5 would love to deny your families livelihood to save them themselves a dollar.

I'd rather be out the dollar if it meant your family could be treated and not bankrupted.

I am just against your solution of who should pay for all of these great things for everyone.

Which like most liberals.....your answer is "someone else".

If everyone was willing to step up and say we should raise everyone's taxes to implement a healthcare solution, I would agree with that. However, the 95% of people out there want the other 5% to foot the bill. Why would they not support this. They get the benefit and someone else gets the bill.

Much like going to a restaurant....ordering your nce meal...and then leaving the check for the table sitting next to you.

#178 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

I have a HUGE problem with Welfare. Any program that is designed and operated to provide complete support for someone without requiring them to work to improve their lot in life is a problem with me.

The Welfare program was designed and implemented to be a stopgap aid program for the less fortunate. It has turned into a source of life long income for too damn many people.

You should be requried to do SOMETHING to get a check for the rest of your life.

Check your facts....the US spends 16% of GDP on social programs. And that does not include the new healthcare benefit that is coming.

Lets say we go with your 16% number. Do you really think that's the most pressing issue in this country? I agree that entitlement spending needs an overhaul, but why does it get you so riled up?

#179 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,478 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

They should consolidate several schools into that building if the movie studio thing doesn't pan out.

There is already a bus station hub there. They could even eliminate school bus routes and just let kids take city buses to school to save even more money.

No parent, at least a good one, would let their child ride a public city bus to school. I'm not letting my daughter ride to school unattended next to some homeless guy on his way to the methadone clinic.

#180 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,136 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

Liberals are really philanthropic and generous with other people's money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.