Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terrell McClain waived by Panthers

469 posts in this topic

Posted

Of all the people to cut, McClain was not the one I would have guessed would get waived. I had Jimmy, Armanti, Fua, even the Center from SD, Byers? Before McClain.

Just baffled by the cut. Great addition though. Wish Dwan was a little younger.

Posted

they had the numbers they needed at each position group.

they weren't going to cut a QB to pick up a DT...at least not at this point.

they knew what they wanted. mcclain wasn't bringing it. they found someone who could. mcclain was the logical choice.

any roster moves they make where they shore up a weak spot at the top will probably be addressed in the same way starting off the season.

Posted

I guess Kuechly can forget about DRoY. How is he going to rack up the tackles if teams can't run on us?

Sacks and Int's!

Posted

You're not disagreeing with anyone on here about Clausen. You're disagreeing with Hurney/Rivera. They want 3 QBs on the roster (as of today at least). I don't know why you feel the need to get upset over something that won't change. If your coach wants 3 QBs, then that's that. It is what it is. There's really no other options at 3rd QB than Clausen either. I'm not saying there aren't better players with more upside, but if we really wanted to replace Clausen we would have given other QBs time with this offense first. If you want 3 QBs, then you...kinda need 3 QBs.

TL;DR Rivera wants 3 QBs. Get over it.

I'm over it, I just wish I could understand it.

Posted

I just realized that, assuming Norman plays #2 in nickle situations, which is about half our snaps, we will have 6 out of 11 new people on D this year. Both Edwards, Beason and Kuechly, Nakamura, and Norman.

My guess is we are going to be much better. This is not even close to the defense we put on the field last year.

Posted

Am I inb4Edwardswall?!?! lol

Posted

I feel a little better about picking the panthers D in my fantasy football league now

Posted

Ok I'm an old fuc. What the hell is an UT? If I remember from way back when single wing t O was in vogue. The Defense has a 0-1 technique depending on shade to strong side. A 3 technique and a 5 tech. then you have the 7 tech. Is this not the same or has football passed me by. Please enlighten me and bring me up to the hip way of speaking.

Posted

The only thing I'm sad about is we will no longer be able to call our interior DL McFua. But that's ok because they McFukking sucked anyways.

Pretty excited to have Ron n' Dwan, the Edwards tandem. I'll take serviceable and reliable, albeit slightly older. They'll stay disciplined and won't be overpowered at the line.

For those that say Fua deserved to go, well, didn't you see his Swagtastic photo by a limo? You don't just cut bait with Swag. McClain was way worse anyway on the field.

I'm not upset we "wasted" a third pick either. Hindsight will always prevail, but the truth is the draft is a gamble that gets harder to "calculate" the risks with each subsequent round. We gambled on McClain and lost. Oh well. Cut bait now and try again next year. We've won other gambles in the latter rounds, and we'll be ok with or without the 65th pick in the 2011 NFL draft.

Posted

it's not about mcclain. it's about edwards.

No, it's about McClain, I think. I think it's about something we don't know, and likely won't ever know - maybe work ethic, may something else. This team just rarely cuts rookies drafted in that area after less than a season. Something else happened.

Posted

Of all the people to cut, McClain was not the one I would have guessed would get waived. I had Jimmy, Armanti, Fua, even the Center from SD, Byers? Before McClain.

Just baffled by the cut. Great addition though. Wish Dwan was a little younger.

After the number that the staff determined they were going to carry at each position was set, you would not cut a QB, WR, or OL to add another DT. The only one you mentioned that could be argued us Fua. However, as many of us get...Fua us a NT and we added an UT. You cut an UT in order to sign a better UT.

I am amazed at how difficult it is for much of the huddle to understand. I thought we had a more knowledgeable group than that...but apparently I was wrong.

Posted

I did it. I just finished reading this whole thread. I win.

Some folks get that we just upgraded our D-Line. And that is a win for the Panthers.

Some folks see the upgrade, but hate what player we lost. McClain was a numbers casualty. Not money numbers, but position numbers. In this business sometimes kids lose out.

We just got better. Why all the fap fap fap?

We now have vet DTs, with some talented kids behind them. This is a great situation to be in.

As has been stated, this is not last years Defense. The message is clear. Show up, or get replaced. Players will get the message, and our team will be better because of this.

Giddy the fug up. And GOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!